A hero's comeback

Immortalfire

Nu.
Staff member
Reaction score
In several superhero films, we have witnessed the hero returning after a defeat, a give up, a surrender or whatever you want to call it.

Which they're back moment is your favorite? The main ones that come to mind are...

Superman II ~ The man of steel has his powers restored to take on Zod

Thor ~ Thor is restored to life and his full self, when he is found worthy

Spider-Man 2 ~ Pressures and doubt caused Peter to give up his webslinging days, but he returns to face Dr. Octopus

The Dark Knight Rises ~ Here we have two comebacks. Batman resurfaces after an 8 year absence, then returns again after being pounded and exiled by Bane

Others?

My favourite has to be Batman's return after his defeat by Bane in The Dark Knight Rises. I'm actually hard pushed to think of others...

I think I listed all the ones there are. There weren’t as many as I first thought

Cap returning to consciousness after winning his battle and being frozen for near 70 years in The First Avenger.

"Haven't you ever heard of freedom of the press"?

IM3 when Tony is presumed dead after the mansion attack.

"General...would you care to step outside?"
DCEU Superman wishes he was that bad^$$.

Last edited:
"General...would you care to step outside?"
DCEU Superman wishes he he was that bad^$$.

Cavill would be like “Would you care to step outside? Or not, I don’t really care. I don’t owe this world a thing.”

In several superhero films, we have witnessed the hero returning after a defeat, a give up, a surrender or whatever you want to call it.

Which they're back moment is your favorite? The main ones that come to mind are...

Thor ~ Thor is restored to life and his full self, when he is found worthy

Spider-Man 2 ~ Pressures and doubt caused Peter to give up his webslinging days, but he returns to face Dr. Octopus

The Dark Knight Rises ~ Here we have two comebacks. Batman resurfaces after an 8 year absence, then returns again after being pounded and exiled by Bane

Others?

A few more for this thread:

- Black Panther in a way has this with [blackout]T'Challa's fake out death and his return to reclaim the throne.[/blackout]

- The end of Logan where he chooses to get involved and help the children.

- To a certain extent Charles Xavier choosing to get back in the chair in X-Men: Days of Future Past. It is not an action beat, obviously, but there is something strong about him meeting his older self, and then later standing in the airport in front of Raven and fully using his psychic powers for the first time in the movie.

- Presumably Cap is going to have an epic one in Infinity War given that he went into hiding in CW.

As for my favorites? I think The Dark Knight Rises and Spider-Man 2 are the best at it, because they really put the hero through one type of ringer or another. You feel like it's been a long time before they put on the costume again, and they appear to have significantly changed between now and then, so I find them the most satisfying. There is a sense of euphoria when Spidey finally swings again in the third act to the clocktower, and there is something relieving and comforting just seeing Bruce Wayne materialize in Gotham before Selina, never mind his rather epic "light it" to Jim Gordon on the ice.

Superman 2 is probably the gold standard. "General, would you care to step outside?" is both badass and appropriately Superman.

Superman 3 when Clark "kills" the evil Superman and rips open his shirt to reveal the S-insignia, then flies off to fix the oil tanker.

The Dark Knight Rises, both when Batman comes back from post TDK retirement to chase the robbers, and when he comes back after getting beat by Bane.

Black Panther as well.

Superman 3 when Clark "kills" the evil Superman and rips open his shirt to reveal the S-insignia, then flies off to fix the oil tanker.

True story, when I saw that movie as a kid for the first time, I was rather scared at how nasty Reeve played Dark Superman. But, watching it with my dad when Clark defeats his dark side, the theme music kicks in, shirt rip and Superman is restored...I said to pop "He's back!"

It was a cool moment.

True story, when I saw that movie as a kid for the first time, I was rather scared at how nasty Reeve played Dark Superman. But, watching it with my dad when Clark defeats his dark side, the theme music kicks in, shirt rip and Superman is restored...I said to pop "He's back!"

It was a cool moment.

It was. I'm shocked that whole subplot is in such a bad movie.

Speaking of being scared as a kid, Vera turning into a robot was freaky as hell for me.

These three are my favs.

It was a cool moment.

I would go as far as to say it was an awesome moment. :smf:

Just rewatched that whole junkyard fight scene. Fantastic :yay:

While we're on the subject of Superman, I still rate Man of Steel's Smallville battle.

Superman starts out getting stomped by Faora and Thug-El, but gets his second wind and holds his own.

Thor has a great comeback against Hela at the end of Ragnarok, although he doesn't do much more than slow her down.

Probably the only good Ryan Reynolds moment of the Green Lantern live action film was his comeback against Parallax.

Spider Man has a really satisfying comeback vs Green Goblin in the first Raimi film. You feel Spidey's rage as he beats the crap out of Gobby.

Not a cbm, but a great all time comeback is Luke vs Vader in ROTJ, what a beatdown!

Last edited:
Superman 2 for sure... Reeve was so great in that moment. And I also would put the moment in Superman 3 up there that people also mentioned... even if the rest of the movie is bad.

TDKR... The movie has a lot of problems and I know everyone makes fun of the “Where’s the troffer?!” line, but I love when Batman knocks Bane through that doorway, pounds his face in, and then throws the “you have my permission to die” line back at him.

When Thor regains his powers in the first film, it’s a very cool moment. I also love his kiss with Jane before he returns to Asgard. They had such great chemistry in that movie and its a shame they ruined it in the sequel.

Black Panther’s return is great. Won’t say anymore because the movie just came out.

Spider-Man 2 is amazing, though Spidey’s return doesn’t have the same impact for me that some of these others do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"