Andrew Scott To Headline Steven Zaillian’s 'Tom Ripley' Drama Series (Netflix)

Kaleb

2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion
Reaction score
‘Fleabag’s Andrew Scott To Headline Steven Zaillian’s Tom Ripley Drama Series On Showtime Based On Novels

Showtime has given a formal eight-episode order to Steven Zaillian’s drama series Ripley, based on Patricia Highsmith’s bestselling quintet of Tom Ripley novels, with Andrew Scott, hot off his starring turn on the Emmy-winning second season of Fleabag, set to star in the title role. Oscar and Golden Globe winner and Emmy nominee Zaillian (Schindler’s List, The Night Of) will write and direct the entire first season.

‘Ripley’ Series Moving From Showtime to Netflix

Showtime gave Ripley a series order in 2019, with Oscar winner Steven Zaillian (Schindler’s List, HBO’s The Night Of) writing and directing all eight episodes. Scott plays Tom Ripley, a grifter scraping by in early 1960s New York who’s hired by a wealthy man to go to Italy and try to convince his vagabond son, Dickie Greenleaf (Johnny Flynn), to return home. Tom accepts the job and takes a first step into a life of deceit, fraud and murder.

Dakota Fanning also stars as Marge Sherwood, who suspects the seemingly affable Tom has darker motives.

Ripley has finished filming and is in postproduction. Showtime co-produces the series with Endemol Shine North America, in association with Entertainment 360 and Filmrights. Zaillian executive produces with Garrett Basch, Guymon Casady, Ben Forkner, Sharon Levy, and Philipp Keel of Diogenes. Scott is a producer.

Just as good as Showtime. :D

Hmmm. I love the casting but I have to say that it’s a bit disappointing that they are doing the same Ripley story from the movie. There are a number of Ripley books and redoing the first one feels has a “been there, done that” kinda feel to it.

This looks great! I'm surprised that they went with a black and white show, as I can't remember a modern show being shot entirely like that, but I love the idea.

I've seen both the Matt Damon and the Alain Delon adaptations, but unless the reviews are abysmal I'm definitely checking this out as well.

Only a few days ago I watched the -99 film for the first time and what do we have here :ilv: I like that it looks so different. The cinematography is gorgeous, it's so cinematic and eye-catching that I hope it looks inviting enough even for people who don't care about black and white. It would be fantastic if this show would be able to adapt all the Ripley books.

It looks really good; filming it in black and white was a brilliant idea. I still worry though that as good as it might be, it will just feel like a retread, especially after seeing Saltburn recently, which also was pretty much a Ripley remake. But Scott looks great here so I’ll definitely give it a shot.

The first episode was excellent, I wish I had the time to properly binge the show. Glorious cinematography, can't even remember the last streaming program with such genuinely striking visuals. Andrew Scott is great, as I'm sure you're shocked to hear.

Andrew Scott was fantastic and the visuals are some of the best I've seen in any show. Simply gorgeous looking! I hope they make more black and white stuff for TV and streaming. It had a couple of unrealistic moments that hit weird but overall it was very good and the best out of all live actions adaptations of the first book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"