• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Are Teens More Vicious These Days?

The parent wants to be liked by the kid and not do anything to make the kid dislike them. The parent is supposed to be the authority and you cant be an authority by wanting your kid to like you all the time. The kid needs to learn that sometimes, life isnt fair and you dont get what you want. That is part of the parents job.

The parent wants to be liked by the kid and not do anything to make the kid dislike them.

I don't think I have ever experienced that situation in my own life. Not that that means anything, but it does lead me to wonder if it's as prevalent a phenomena as you imply.

The parent is supposed to be the authority and you cant be an authority by wanting your kid to like you all the time. The kid needs to learn that sometimes, life isnt fair and you dont get what you want. That is part of the parents job.

How is a parent supposed to teach their child that, exactly? Like, in your opinion, what's the best way for a parent to go about doing that?

Overall, this strikes me as something of a false dichotomy. "Either you're you're kid's friend, or you're the authority." Seems to me that a reasonable approach would lie somewhere on a gradient scale in between. A parent needs to take charge of a situation and impart life lessons to their child, but at the same time they need to be sensitive to their child's feelings and point of view and admit when they've made a mistake or when they were wrong about something and their child was right. And as their child grows up, I'd think, ideally, that the parent's role would gradually shift further away from that of the authority figure and closer to that of a friend and equal. If the end goal of parenting is to produce a well rounded human being who can take care of his or herself and has a defined sense of identity.

I don't think I have ever experienced that situation in my own life. Not that that means anything, but it does lead me to wonder if it's as prevalent a phenomena as you imply.
I dont have statistics.

How is a parent supposed to teach their child that, exactly? Like, in your opinion, what's the best way for a parent to go about doing that?

Sometimes, if a kid wants a candy bar in the grocery store, you tell them "no." Same for a new toy. When an adult id speaking, the child should be quiet and wait their turn to talk. I understand that while a very young child may not grasp the concept of waiting their turn, an older one should know it.

In short, the kid shoudl know that the world does not revolve around them and that they need to take other people's thoughts and feeling into account when they act.

Overall, this strikes me as something of a false dichotomy. "Either you're you're kid's friend, or you're the authority." Seems to me that a reasonable approach would lie somewhere on a gradient scale in between. A parent needs to take charge of a situation and impart life lessons to their child, but at the same time they need to be sensitive to their child's feelings and point of view and admit when they've made a mistake or when they were wrong about something and their child was right. And as their child grows up, I'd think, ideally, that the parent's role would gradually shift further away from that of the authority figure and closer to that of a friend and equal. If the end goal of parenting is to produce a well rounded human being who can take care of his or herself and has a defined sense of identity.

Certainly. But as I said in the previous post, a child needs to learn respect for others. Bullies clearly have no such respect. This is the parents job.

Sometimes, if a kid wants a candy bar in the grocery store, you tell them "no." Same for a new toy.

So a parent should create arbitrarily unfair situations to teach their child that life sometimes isn't fair?

That seems sketchy to me.

I mean, first of all, it's kind of unnecessary. Life's unfair enough as it is. Even for a kid, there are going to be plenty of situations where there's some kind of obstacle in their way of getting what they want. So just telling them "no" to fill some kind of unfairness quota seems really redundant to me.

Second, that's not really how unfairness works in the real world. When there's something in the way of what you want, or if something unfair or unjust happens to you, there's always a reason for it. There's always some chain of events that led to that happening. Like, using an example that would involve a kid, let's say that a family is going to go on a vacation to disneyland. But then the car breaks down, or someone gets sick or breaks their leg, and the they can't go. That's unfair. That's just a bunch of random things happening that screwed over a kid's chance to go to disneyland. But there was some kind of logical chain of events that led to said injustice. And learning why unfair things happen and understanding the larger context that they happen in is just as important as understanding that you can't always get what you want.

Third, it might have a really negative unintended side effect. It might make a kid willing to put up with being treated unfairly by authority figures when they don't have to. And that's not a very healthy trait for surviving as an adult.

All in all, it would make more sense to me to simply wait for a natural injustice to pop up and let it run it's course. Don't say no to the candy just for the sake of it, say now when you don't have enough money or you know it would make the kid sick later.

When an adult id speaking, the child should be quiet and wait their turn to talk. I understand that while a very young child may not grasp the concept of waiting their turn, an older one should know it.

That's not really how conversations between people play out in real life, though. I mean, yes, sometimes you should be letting the other person complete their thought, but then sometimes it's acceptable if not necessary to interrupt them.

And in my experience, I think that conversational etiquette is the kind of thing a kid learns through peer interaction, not from their parents.

In short, the kid shoudl know that the world does not revolve around them and that they need to take other people's thoughts and feeling into account when they act.

Well, yes, obviously.

Certainly. But as I said in the previous post, a child needs to learn respect for others. Bullies clearly have no such respect. This is the parents job.

Well, again, define respect. Is respect adherence to authority? Is it following protocols of manners? Is it just being empathetic towards other people? Some combination? And how, exactly, does one teach it?

Also, I think there's a lot more to bullying that a kid being disrespectful. There are plenty of people in the world who don't respect anyone who aren't bullies, they're just kind of anti-social and obnoxious. Bullying is an active, aggressive act, there's a lot more to it than simply not respecting someone. Bullying isn't so much about respect as it's about power. People wanting to feel like they have power over someone else, usually because they feel powerless in some other area of their lives.

While, obviously, a kid who's learned good morals from their parents will probably not turn out to be a bully, I think the issue of power and powerlessness often goes unaddressed when talking about bullying.

Parents let their durn kids get away with too doggone dang much these days! Harrumph!!

Parents let their durn kids get away with too doggone dang much these days! Harrumph!!

That's the other issue. I'm pretty sure people have been saying something like that for pretty much ever. The "parents trying to be friends" is the newest version, but every generation has had a large number of people assuming that the generation following them is worse than their generation and usually blame their parents.

If that's the case then Ancient Rome would have been a paradise of tolerance and social justice with no crime or corruption or cruelty anywhere to be found.

(turns out it wasn't)

I don't think teens are any worst than they have ever been. Hell you go back in human history and you find teens like any other people did all kinds of horrible stuff.

I do think that perhaps there are more selfish people right now with a bigger lack of empathy than some previous generations have had but thats more down to the breakdown of community and social morality.

Oh, I know, but they're still obnoxious.

How, exactly. Tell me in detail why cellphones are obnoxious? They're not inherently obnoxious. Some people use them obnoxiously. Do you find coloured TVs and digital radios obnoxious too?

Nature takes its course and life goes on.

Technology allows us to fight against nature. I mean, why use a respirator when someone is struggling to breathe? Why use a defibrillator if someones heart stops? Just let them die!

Technology allows us to fight against nature. I mean, why use a respirator when someone is struggling to breathe? Why use a defibrillator if someones heart stops? Just let them die!

I think there was a certain amount of snark in the original post.

I do think that perhaps there are more selfish people right now with a bigger lack of empathy than some previous generations have had but thats more down to the breakdown of community and social morality.

Why do you think that, and what does "the breakdown of community and social morality" mean, exactly?

^Exactly. Kids in my 8th grade class laughed when we watched The Diary of Anne Frank.

I know it was about her and her family hiding from Nazis. Did they get caught at the end? If so, then I'm afraid. Very afraid.

I know it was about her and her family hiding from Nazis. Did they get caught at the end? If so, then I'm afraid. Very afraid.

Yes they did.

To be fair, there are plenty of movies with serious subject matter that relate to real world tragedies that I find hilarious because the movies are very poorly made. Not saying that's why it happened, just playing devil's advocate.

Kids laugh at serious **** so they won't feel uncomfortable about it.

I don't think teens are any worst than they have ever been. Hell you go back in human history and you find teens like any other people did all kinds of horrible stuff.

Exactly. It's like people forget we just had a civil rights movement in the past 40 years. Back then kids were taking part in lynchings. I think the enviroment to how kids do the damage has changed but not necessarily the amount.

I think we should stop having kids like in 'Children of Men.' Sure, it'd mean the extinction of the human race, but it'd make going to the movies or restaurant so much more enjoyable, amirite?

Or just stick them all on a giant island where they can have fun with each other like 'Lord of the Flies' or 'Battle Royale.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"