Are you superstitious?

The most common are...number 4 is the bad number here (not 13) because "Four" is prounounced "Shi" in Japanese (also same in Chinese and Korean). Why is that such a bad thing?

So, you guys skip this number when numbering seats?

Always. Four your information, I won't even write Four or 4, let alone sit in seat number Four or 4. WTH does numbering seats mean? Is that some kind of career path?

Always. Four your information, I won't even write Four or 4, let alone sit in seat number Four or 4. WTH does numbering seats mean? Is that some kind of career path?

Well, I'm sorry if my English ever fails! Please do keep in mind that it's not my mother tongue.

Seats numbers, as in: seat 1, seat 2, seat 3... and so on and so forth. I've read that some airlines do not have seat number 4.

Plane seat selection: Missing numbers on Qantas, Air China, Singapore Airlines | escape.com.au
(...)
SUPERSTITIOUS WAYS

While it doesn’t scare us Aussies enough for Qantas or Virgin Australia to remove row 13 from their line-ups, some airlines avoid handing anyone a ticket with that number.

Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Qatar Airways, Emirates, and United Airlines, are among those with no row 13.

Considering 13 is actually a lucky number in some parts of Asia including China, and that 4 is the unlucky number, it’s a little surprising you can fly in a number 4 suite on Singapore Airlines but not sit in a number 13 seat. Cathay Pacific on the other hand has removed the number 4 from their seat maps as well.

Meanwhile Lufthansa skips both 13 and 17 as the latter is seen as unlucky in Italy and Brazil.

As for that luckiest number in Asia, the number 8, you may spot that on your boarding pass in another way.

Lucky flight numbers to or from Mainland China and Hong Kong include United Airlines’ UA888 from San Francisco to Beijing, KLM’s KL888 from Hong Kong to Amsterdam, and Cathay Pacific’s CX888 from Hong Kong to Vancouver and New York.

Well, I'm sorry if my English ever fails! Please do keep in mind that it's not my mother tongue.

Seats numbers, as in: seat 1, seat 2, seat 3... and so on and so forth. I've read that some airlines do not have seat number 4.

Plane seat selection: Missing numbers on Qantas, Air China, Singapore Airlines | escape.com.au
(...)
SUPERSTITIOUS WAYS

While it doesn’t scare us Aussies enough for Qantas or Virgin Australia to remove row 13 from their line-ups, some airlines avoid handing anyone a ticket with that number.

Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Qatar Airways, Emirates, and United Airlines, are among those with no row 13.

Considering 13 is actually a lucky number in some parts of Asia including China, and that 4 is the unlucky number, it’s a little surprising you can fly in a number 4 suite on Singapore Airlines but not sit in a number 13 seat. Cathay Pacific on the other hand has removed the number 4 from their seat maps as well.

Meanwhile Lufthansa skips both 13 and 17 as the latter is seen as unlucky in Italy and Brazil.

As for that luckiest number in Asia, the number 8, you may spot that on your boarding pass in another way.

Lucky flight numbers to or from Mainland China and Hong Kong include United Airlines’ UA888 from San Francisco to Beijing, KLM’s KL888 from Hong Kong to Amsterdam, and Cathay Pacific’s CX888 from Hong Kong to Vancouver and New York.

I was just pulling your leg and the only people I give a really hard time are those I like. Personally they can give me a seat in a jet labeled "killed in crash" as long as they don't overcharge me and provide free drinks.

I was just pulling your leg and the only people I give a really hard time are those I like. Personally they can give me a seat in a jet labeled "killed in crash" as long as they don't overcharge me and provide free drinks.

Stop pulling my short one! You're gonna make me fall... :p

Oh there is a lot of superstitious aspect in my daily and social life.

In fact, especially in East Asia in where I am coming from, superstitious is part of any daily and social life.

The most common are...number 4 is the bad number here (not 13) because "Four" is prounounced "Shi" in Japanese (also same in Chinese and Korean). Why is that such a bad thing?
Because "Shi" also had the same meaning as "Death" as "Death" is also pronounced "Shi" in Japanese. (Same in Chinese language).
So, for a lot of people...thats the number that mostly and usually avoided when picking up an apartment number, a lottery number, even a ceremony day.

The other common thing is that we pray every summer (usually end of July and early August) for our any deceased relatives or family members because it is said that in summer, every dead souls has returned to the land of living (not to haunt, mind you!) but to visit their loved one for just one month in the year. So we pray for them at the temple and shrines. It is commonly known as 'Bon Festival" here in Japan. (But in China, they call it "Lantern/Ghost Festival")

Others are: We cannot put a chopstick in vertical position above a rice bowl when we eat as thats the same as the ritual that used to pray for the dead ones. (The 2013 Wolverine movie briefly showing this when Logan put his chopstick vertically above rice bowl and Mariko corrected him by putting it horizontally on the table).

And for women...they cannot put a wedding dress before they are married...or otherwise...they will have a hard time for getting married for real.

As much bad blood we had with China and Korea over the years...we still share the common superstitious stuff like this...haha.

Goodness, I had no idea the number 4 was a bad omen. I like all variations of the number 4 lol.

Pretty much yes.
Though number 4 itself sometime still visible on some of theatre seats or plane seats...

But just like I said...it is all just a superstitious stuff. It is up to different kind of people to believe it or not.

Mostly from people around me...especially the elder ones, they are mostly still believe such thing.

Goodness, I had no idea the number 4 was a bad omen. I like all variations of the number 4 lol.

Hahaha. Yeah.
Like most of people in the world think that 13 is bad number...but in here...4 was considered to be bad because the way it is said that had the same pronounce as "death" (thats why people now often prefer to say "yon" instead of "shi" when refering to "number 4").

Oh also 9 was also bad because the way it was said ("kyuu") that had the same pronounce as "suffering"

But for what considered as lucky number....it was mostly 7 and 8 :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"