• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Best CGI animated film of the past 20 years ('95-'15 only)

scatterax

Presented in Technicolor
Reaction score
as old as this makes me feel, toy story is 20 years old. We've had countless films animated entirely with CGI (or 3d animation as we used to call it.)since then this is a place to discuss the best of the best, in terms of critical reception and personal opinion.

I hope to have either a poll or bracket up soon, but need help from you guys to decide how many movies we should have in the running, and which films should go off against which. I would prefer to have movies with similar themes go up against each other in the first round, such as the Lego movie vs toy story, a bugs life vs antz. Ect. However any bracket placements are open for discussion.

So the first thing to decide: should we have an all inclusive list, or nominate a top 20, and go from there?

From those I've seen, Up narrowly edges out Ratatouille.

Have an inclusive list, maybe allow people two or three votes.

You should read Ed Catmull's biography of Pixar. It's called Creativity Inc.

There are so many great CG-animated films that I couldn't possibly pick just one. Some of the favorites that come to mind:

Big Hero 6
The Book of Life
The Incredibles
How To Train Your Dragon
Wall-E
Tangled
Toy Story series

A bit blasphemous to say I know, but The Lego Movie isn't one of my favorites. :o

In no particular order.

Monsters Inc.
Kung Fu Panda 2
How to Train your Dragon
Tangled
The Incredibles
Shrek

Big Hero 6 is too new for me to rank it on my favorite list.

Last edited:
Shrek was revolutionary when it came out, and still kinda is. But as far as experimentation goes, I'd give it to Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. No one else has tried to pull off photorealistic humans in a full length movie since...except DTV.

-Toy Story Trilogy
-Antz
-Shrek
-How to Train Your Dragon
-Monsters Inc
-Finding Nemo
-The Incredibles
-Ratatouille
-Wall-E
-Up

As good as these new Disney films have been, i honestly think they pale in comparison to the greatness PIXAR has given in its first 12 years or so. Even Bugs Life and Cars 1were still above average.

No particular order

Toy Story Trilogy (and even the short films)
The Incredibles
Ratatouille
Up
Finding Nemo
Monsters Inc.
Wall-E

Recently I have really enjoyed Big Hero 6, but like CG Hulk said, its too early to put it on my favorites list.

I would love to have a tournament. I say bring it on!

My favorites have been:

Brave
Wreck-it-Ralph
Toy Story
a Bug's Life

Finding Nemo!

It has the best animation, the and the best story. I love this film!

Kung Fu Panda. The detail on Tai Lung (snow leopard) as he escapes from prison just blew me away.

Rango, which is still strangely underrated. Maybe it's the pacing but boy this is a beautiful film.

For the rest:

UP
Ratatouille
Toy Story 1-3
Frozen

Frozen. Followed by, in no order, The Incredibles, WALL-E, Tangled, How To Train Your Dragon, How To Train Your Dragon 2, Finding Nemo, Toy Story 3, Up, The Lego Movie.

foodfight is a fascinating movie to watch.

Yeah, gives you a perspective on money laundering.

1. Toy Story
2. Wall-E
3. The Incredibles
4. Toy Story 3
5. Ratatouille
6. Up
7. Finding Nemo
8. Toy Story 2
9. Beowulf
10. The Adventures Of Tintin

HM

11. How To Train Your Dragon