• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Bought Thought June 27, Sinestro is awesome

There were two Amazons at the scene. Circe does ninjitsu?

"This is New Earth now, so...continuity what?" becomes a less and less forgivable excuse every time it has become necessary, which is frankly a lot of times by now. And what's more, DC actually had the gall to put Hippolyta in her Wonder Woman costume -- the one she wore to fight Nazis and form lifelong relationships with the Justice Society -- on the cover of Wonder Woman #9, showing that they might not feel like keeping anything inconvenient to their plots (like, oh, say, characterization)...but are totally fine with making it look like they're still keeping elements from the past.

They can't have it both ways. Either those things happened and the Amazons are the same women who eventually forgave the man who brutally raped their entire nation and Hippolyta is the same woman who gave up her life to save the planet...or those things didn't happen and DC doesn't get to draw on them to give their stories the illusion of history. If these are not the Amazons, then they shouldn't get to treat them like the Amazons.

Same logic with Supergirl, really. She's a new character, she's nothing like the Supergirls from before, yet DC expected us to welcome her with open arms as if she somehow deserved it without earning it.

Yeah, well, I agree but I don't make the rules. DC's official standing is that post-CoIE happened... unless they say it didn't. I suspect they'll still be ironing out details 20 years later, much like they'd done with the first Crisis.

DC needs to get it in their heads -- or shoved up their poopchutes, whatever, I'm not picky -- that it isn't working. It would barely work for stories that actually are good, much less ones that are just sort of terrible on its own anyway.

"HUURR HURR WE MUST PUT ALL WOMEN'S SHELTERS WOMENS INTO CONCENTRATION CAMPS HURR LOL PATRIOT ACT LOL"

DC needs to get it in their heads -- or shoved up their poopchutes, whatever, I'm not picky -- that it isn't working. It would barely work for stories that actually are good, much less ones that are just sort of terrible on its own anyway.

"HUURR HURR WE MUST PUT ALL WOMEN'S SHELTERS WOMENS INTO CONCENTRATION CAMPS HURR LOL PATRIOT ACT LOL"
Your problem is that you're thinking like a sensible, modern reader weaned on DC's relatively cohesive post-CoIE continuity. DC, however, is currently controlled by worshipers of the Silver Age. These are the same people who found it perfectly okay for Superman to spontaneously develop super-ventriloquism and move planets, yet lose--badly--in a boxing match against Muhammad Ali. Their world--sorry, worlds don't make sense to people like you and me. They are engineered for the likes of GAH, who to this day doesn't see that Johns' current take on Hal is to basically erase everything bad he ever did and dodge all of that pesky character development nonsense in the process. It's a sad but simple truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"