Casting for the Authority

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
Hey, I've been searching for a thread like this one and I'm suprised there isn't one before now. So here it is! Who would you like to see be part of an Authority movie?

I'ld love to see the Wachowski brothers direct and co write the script with Warren Ellis (or Mark Millar, if he wants it) and as for casting...

Apollo- Robert Gant
Midnighter- David Boreanz
Swift- Lucy Lui
Jenny Sparx- Shauna Macdonald, Sienna Miller
Jack Hawksmoore- Eddie Cibrian, maybe Clive Owen
The Doctor- James Spader
Engineer- Drew Barrymore, I reckon they share a similar smile, if not then Idina Menzel

Should this be in the DC forum?

wow, I really need to come up with a better cast. I made that post three years ago!

Daniel Craig would make a fantastic midnighter these days.

Now that the boys has been such a success I would love someone to seize the opportunity to adapt The Authority

I would think that the Authority, like the Boys, lends itself beat to serialized storytelling ( a t.v. series). I'm not sure you could fit enough into a single film.

Tough to cast.... lots of great characters.

But which version would you want adapted? The now classic one or the recently rebooted Wild Storm one?

I feel that unfortunately both are not yet ripe for the general audience, no matter how good a movie version would turn out.
But even if I do not see WB ever taking a chance with it, I'd love an adaptation of the Millar run, all in all it is his best work and still a bit misunderstood IMO.

Please do not come at me, but I also think BvS drastically derailed the trajectory to good "serious" deconstruction superhero stories on film, both producers and the public are rightly wary of them now.

Tv series seem to work in the subgenre but the Authority needs to sensory-destroy the audience, that should be one of the aims and I can imagine it only on the big screen.

Yeah definitely the Ellis/millar stuff. That was the Authority at its best.

Obviously some stuff will have to be reworked for the modern era but generally I reckon it’s all pretty rock solid. Plus it would be great to see Midnighter on the screen

A TV series could be really cool and if it takes off, you could branch it off into a whole Wildstorm universe with shows about StormWatch and WildCATs.

Midnighter: Luke Evans
Apollo: Lee Pace
Jack Hawksmoor: Frank Grillo
Jenny Sparks: Emma Mackey
The Doctor (Habib ben Hassan): Riz Ahmed
Swift: Ellen Wong

Not that this will ever happen, but IMO while Stana had a good look for Jenny Sparks I strongly doubt she could pull off a convincing British accent for an extended period of time.

If the series ever got made, after seeing MI:6 and Hobbs and Shaw is that the current perfect casting for Sparks is Vanessa Kirby who pretty much IS Jenny Sparks ( minus the super powers) in Hobbs and Shaw.

In the alternative Claire Danes also does a great British accent.

The rest of the cast...... I'll get back to you.

What would be mildly funny about an Authority series is that it would need to take place in the 90s - so lots of retro references.

If I recall correctly, that Stana Katic rumor turned out to be hilariously wrong. She posted something on social media about getting into The Authority, meaning that she wanted to start reading the comics. But some scooper desperate for clicks misinterpreted that to mean that she was in talks for a movie adaptation.

A TV series could be really cool and if it takes off, you could branch it off into a whole Wildstorm universe with shows about StormWatch and WildCATs.

Midnighter: Luke Evans
Apollo: Lee Pace
Jack Hawksmoor: Frank Grillo
Jenny Sparks: Emma Mackey
The Doctor (Habib ben Hassan): Riz Ahmed
Swift: Ellen Wong

Oh wow evans and pace as midnighter and Apollo would be so much fun.

I would also love to see Adria Arjona as the Engineer

The only tricky part will be how to do Jenny sparks since she was a child of the millennium and all that

The only tricky part will be how to do Jenny sparks since she was a child of the millennium and all that

Just have the setting as the mid to late 90s. Sadly, Jenny Sparks dies wayyyy to early in the comic - her arc is kind of epic ( she kills "God") but also a waste of a really great character. The Authority has a few good storylines after she dies but nothing tops the first issues where she leads the team.

I don’t know, the story seems very now. Does it need to be a period piece?

I don’t know, the story seems very now. Does it need to be a period piece?

No, it doesn't really but changing the timing to the 21st century would require some tinkering with Sparks ' character - she's meant to be the spirit of the 20th century ( which is why she's 99 years old but looks 30, and expires at the dawn of the year 2000).

I'm not really a purist, so I feel that if a show/movie captures the spirit of the source material while making necessary changes then that's fine ( e.g. Lord of the Rings).

The first season could cover a story leading up to the new millennium. It ends with Jenny Sparks saving the day, and Jenny Quantum being born.

First story of the next season is about discovering and rescuing Jenny Quantum. With Midnighter and Apollo officially adopting her.

That would be cool. I just hope it has that epic sense of battle like the comic.

I reckon Matthew Vaughan could do something amazing with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"