Luke Cage Cheo Hodari Coker

Dr. Evil

Eternal
Reaction score
Netflix & Marvel Television announced today that Cheo Hodari Coker will serve as executive producer and showrunner of the anticipated series, "Marvel’s Luke Cage." Coker is writing the first two episodes of the series that will premiere in 2016, everywhere that Netflix is available.
http://marvel.com/news/tv/24362/che...d_showrunner_of_marvels_luke_cage_for_netflix
CBcdHoXUgAAXA4O.jpg

I think he'll do it justice.

Last edited:
Always glad to see more forward movement on these shows. His credits look good and with Marvel as a solid support infrastructure I'm sure he'll do just fine.

I wonder who will show-run Iron Fist.

Always glad to see more forward movement on these shows. His credits look good and with Marvel as a solid support infrastructure I'm sure he'll do just fine.

I wonder who will show-run Iron Fist.

I wondered that too. So far the choices for show runners have not been people I would have expected because I didnt know about them but I'm very glad they got the job.

I hope the trend continues with iron fist

Yeah I have no idea who he is but I definitely trust Marvel's judgement by now. Really really looking forward to Luke Cage. Its funny because I'm looking forward to all the Netflix shows equally. At first I wasn't as keen on Jessica Jones because I didn't know anything about her, but now I anticipate it just as much as Daredevil.

And with the casting both DD and JJ have so far, I'm super excited to see who they cast in Luke Cage.

Empire is a cheesy soap opera which is entertaining in its own right but nothing about the show makes it seem like Lee Daniels could direct a great Luke Cage show.

Coker needs to recruit some directors like Spike Lee, John Singleton, Mario Van Peebles, Paris Barclay, Reggie Hudlin, etc.

I thought Ernest Dickerson was going to direct an episode of Daredevil, but he's not listed in any of the credits. He should direct some Luke Cage episodes for sure.

Coker needs to recruit some directors like Spike Lee, John Singleton, Mario Van Peebles, Paris Barclay, Reggie Hudlin, etc.

Mario Van Peebles is directed episodes on once upon a time on ABC who are also producing these shows with Netflix so I could see him directing some episodes.

Singleton was attached to direct the Luke Cage movie at Sony so he would probably be down to direct a episode as well.

Empire is a cheesy soap opera which is entertaining in its own right but nothing about the show makes it seem like Lee Daniels could direct a great Luke Cage show.

Showrunning and directing aren't the same but yeah I wouldn't want Daniels anywhere near this (or anything else I'm interested in seeing, lol)

With reports that John Ridley is developing a Marvel project, does anyone think he would have been a great choice to develop Luke Cage?

I'd like to know more about the script writers for the rest of the season.

If he mixes the way he does Southland and Almost Human, I see this show becoming a massive hit. :up:

I don't want to see Coker return for a Season 2. I was really excited for the show, and everything he was saying seemed exactly what we all wanted for a modern take on the character. But now in hindsight I think it's the opposite. He missed the point of the character's urban roots by making him from Georgia and rewriting his personality completely (presenting him as corny and reserved rather than street smart, vocal and with swagger). And he gave ******** justifications for why he presented Luke the way he did:

https://twitter.com/cheo_coker/status/783716565975916545

https://twitter.com/cheo_coker/status/783719348930170880

Yeah, I completely disagree. First of all, it's his interpretation of Luke. Of course there are going to be some differences, as there are with comic Luke over the years as well. Is his Luke corny? Yeah. But he also has swagger, intelligence, and more importantly for me, he is the most rootable hero thus far (and this is coming from someone who also loves Matt Murdock).

To me though, Cheo did such a great job with the villains and women characters that I would want to see what his S2 would look like, even if I didn't love his Luke. He's just comes off as a really thoughtful writer/showrunner who cares about nuance and the development of all the characters on the show. I appreciate that above all else.

Whether you like what he did or not, if there's a S2 Cheo will be back.

Whether you like what he did or not, if there's a S2 Cheo will be back.

They could always replace him with someone new like Daredevil Season 2.

If anything, the show def needs new writers.

Yeah, I completely disagree. First of all, it's his interpretation of Luke. Of course there are going to be some differences, as there are with comic Luke over the years as well. Is his Luke corny? Yeah. But he also has swagger, intelligence, and more importantly for me, he is the most rootable hero thus far (and this is coming from someone who also loves Matt Murdock).

To me though, Cheo did such a great job with the villains and women characters that I would want to see what his S2 would look like, even if I didn't love his Luke. He's just comes off as a really thoughtful writer/showrunner who cares about nuance and the development of all the characters on the show. I appreciate that above all else.

The Netflix heroes have all been slight variations of their comic counterparts, but Luke Cage is by far the most drastically changed. Everything that made Luke who he is in the books is gone (growing up on the streets, not being shy and reserved, not being as conservative as he is portrayed on the show).

Some of the changes are absolutely mind-boggling. What was the point of making Luke from Georgia? What was the point of making Luke and Willis brothers? What was the point of focusing on Cottonmouth so much in the marketing rather then spend time developing Diamondback (a character far more important to Cage's origin). What was the point of marketing the show as "mid 90s hip hop vibe" only to give us blaxploitation-lite?

And it makes no sense to have Luke Cage be corny and then listen to Wu-Tang's Bring Da Ruckus which contains the lyric "And you watch a corny ***** fold".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"