Cobra: Space Pirate

Paroxysm

Superhero
Reaction score
img_anican_071020.jpg

Director Alexander Aja has emerged from the Piranha 3D fish tank determined to next sink his teeth into Cobra—The Space Pirate. While not well known in America, the Buichi Terasawa-created Japanese manga was turned into an animated series that was hugely popular across Europe and especially in Aja's childhood household.

After a long courtship, Aja said he's been granted the rights by Terasawa. He wants to turn the futuristic saga into a tent pole-sized live action franchise. He is writing the script with Gregory Levasseur and will produce with Levasseur, Marc Sessego and Alexandra Milchan. Since directing the 2003 French fright film High Tension, Aja has stayed in horror mode with The Hills Have Eyes, Mirrors and Piranha 3D. He wants to step up to a big science fiction fantasy tale.

In a future where merchant spaceships and ruthless brigands sail across space, Cobra is a notorious rogue pirate whose refusal to align with the United Galaxies Federation or the Pirates Guild puts him on the business end of a huge bounty. As he tries to keep his identity secret and avoid capture, Cobra teams up with a sexy bounty hunter named Jane, who is out to locate her sisters and decode a treasure map tattooed on their backs. Their goal: to liberate a lost treasure on Mars. To Aja, Cobra was every bit a seminal rogue as Han Solo or Indiana Jones.

"I grew up dreaming about Cobra," Aja told me. "My day was, finish school, run home and switch on the TV and I was hardly the only one. Kids did it in France, Italy, Spain, all over Western Europe. For many people there is Star Wars and nothing else, but for me and my writing partner Gregory, there is Star Wars and Cobra. I am so surprised it never crossed the ocean and made the same impact in the U.S., because it is so big everywhere else. There are 60 books, a lot of TV animation and so many adventures, pirates and bad guys that it is perfect to be reinvented into a really cool space opera adventure franchise for a new generation."

Now that the rights are secure, Aja said he and his partners have begun talking to everyone from financiers to creature designers. After unleashing toothy fish through 3D, Aja is considering the same possibilities for the space adventure. "It should be in 3D, science fiction and 3D are a good mix," Aja said. "I'll start work on the script soon, but I have been carrying this inside me for 30 years and we are talking to the creature designers of films like Avatar and Star Trek, building a new world and doing it the right way."
http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/alex-aja-goes-from-piranha-to-cobra-the-space-pirate/#more-62050

I used to own Marv Wolfman's English adaptation of this and I admit, it would make a cool movie but I don't know if north american audiences will buy into a movie about a guy with a peg/gun for an arm fighting space pirates.

why not? i think it has to the potential to be awesome personally. i actually never heard of Cobra until now, and i gotta say, it sounds intersting.

This sounds very un-original.....

This sounds very un-original.....

When there's an anime property that gets bought out, nothing come out of it. I expect this to in development hell.

this is as old as Star Wars the manga came out in 1978 to star wars 1977

Cool.

This manga seems like the inspiration to Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star.

Id check it out if it ever gets made.

Cool.

This manga seems like the inspiration to Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star.

Id check it out if it ever gets made.

..........and Devil May Cry, the look of Dante was based off of Cobra

wonder who they would cast since this guy seems like a han solo rebel type of character

Hi,

Cool news, I watched the TV show when I was a kid, it was and still great.
I hope Lady Armanoid will be there ( Cobra associate and body guard ).
Btw, the peg/gun is called a Psychogun and only Cobra can use this weapon, he can control the beam with his mind, he also have a prosthetic arm which conceal it.
The character appearance was based of Jean-Paul Belmondo.

I'm gonna paint a very BROAD stroke here:

I think a lot of anime from the 70s were just aping movies from the West. Not just influenced but sometimes blatantly copied. Like Galaxy Express 999 had a total 'Empire Strikes Back' moment when I watched it.

But it's kinda like making a movie out of Max Payne, which was stupid since that game pay HEAVILY to 'revenge' movies of the 70s. As a game it's okay; as a movie adaptation it's stupid. You can say the same for Red Dead.

^
Did you even watch an episode of Cobra TV show ?
I saw some episodes of Galaxy Express 999 and I don't see where you get an Empire Strikes Back vibe from it, that's being said, I am not very familiar with it, I know more about Captain Harlock from the same artist.

I meant Adieu Galaxy Express 999. Hint: Darth Vader-like villain. Father. Son.

I didn't directly mention Cobra, mon ami, but just in general there were just some anime that riffed on western literature and movies before they became their own stuff. But that's with anything, cultural difference withstanding.

^
No idea what is Adieu Galaxy Express 999 but wikipedia tells me it is linked to Galaxy Express 999 and Captain Harlock.

As far as I'm concerned Cobra Space Adventure is a classic ( also because if was one of the rare good japanese cartoon to be aired in France ).
It is a good space opera, the character is witty, charming and surounded with space babes :)
You should have a look at it ( I think you can find some episode on youtube or dailymotion ).

I hope this ends up on the screen and not dies like the Olivier Dahan's Captain Harlock movie.
And Pandorum's Christian Alvart has his Captain Future project too.

I have to note that Alex Aja tends to jump around projects. I remember he was attached to Black Hole (based on the graphic novel) and it went no where.

The first promo art for the film has been released!

CobraTheSpacePirate.jpeg

Looks awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"