Cory Barlog Leaving SCEA (God of War II Lead)

Zenien

Reaction score
Cory Barlog Leaving SCEA
God of War II director to move on to other projects.
By Matt Leone, 11/06/2007

We just received word that SCEA Santa Monica game director Cory Barlog, best known for his work on God of War II, will soon leave the studio to pursue other opportunities. "We can confirm that Cory Barlog, game director for God of War II, is leaving the SCEA SM Studio and we are grateful for his work and creative vision for the critically acclaimed God of War franchise," says a Sony spokesperson. "Moving forward, we are confident in the God of War team, as they are an extremely talented group of people that are passionate about the franchise and dedicated to creating even more epic content with God of War: Chains of Olympus for the PSP and God of War III for PS3."

There's no word yet on where Barlog will turn up next, but according to Sony, rumors of other members of the Santa Monica team leaving as well are inaccurate.

God of War: Chains of Olympus is currently in the final stages of development at Ready at Dawn Studios, with a release date set for March 2008, while God of War III has no release date set at this point.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164206

He was the animation lead on God of War I, I just didn't want to get people confused, between Jaffe and Barlog. I disliked a lot of things in GoWII, though he seems like a good guy.

I had no idea two different people were behind the two games.

That's odd, you're usually well versed in such things. :huh:

David Jaffe made and envisioned God of War, became the head of Santa Monica and producer of God of War II, and then left to form his own studio. Corly Barlog was the lead animator on God of War I, went on to become the lead of the GoW team, and is now leaving Santa Monica Studios following the release of God of War II.

If I remember correctly he was the game director.
I don't know about anyone else, by I like what Jaffe did even more so than what Cory did. And Cory had Jaffe's work to base his additions off of. Alot of people say II was better, but the original is the one I've played like ten times. I beat the CoG once and then deleted my save file, and when I went back I didn't go threw it again since the costumes aren't too great, except for the Ares armor. I've only beaten GOWII twice.
I've never heard anything negative about the team, so its no a hostile work environment. I wonder who's gonna direct it this time? I predict Charlie Wen(lead concept artist), since Cory was the animation lead on I. There are other guys better suited on the team, so who knows? I wonder why such a well received game series has lost all of it's game directors thus far. I thought Jaffe was the sh##...:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"