• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Could superheroes even work in the real world?

I can see a "hero for hire" type of situation with a vigilante/private eye/lawyer.

welp since your doing this I'm sure You'll find this interesting I usually go to the dicovery channelcanadfa's daily planet since they are more repretable withthe science community but I think this will do too .

it's from CBS Sunday morning the details in this arti8cle I'm sure you'll find interesting

Here it is below

source: https://www.cbsnews.com/sunday-morning/?source=vanityurl

Wow I still can't believe it but psychic spies that would be something if that actually did happen but the government actually training spies like Black Widow and Hawkeye is probably more believable

Wow I still can't believe it but psychic spies that would be something if that actually did happen but the government actually training spies like Black Widow and Hawkeye is probably more believable

The psychic spies program (Remote Viewing +) is, high-probability, quite factual. (Research into the First Earth Battalion does offer some tantalizing info.)

Recruiting and putting Special Talent Operatives to work is no stretch.

There was a book some years back about the evidence that Harry HOUDINI was enlisted as a covert intelligence operative, and did engage in espionage missions during his European tours of Germany and Russia prior to World War I.

Given that HOUDINI was invited into seats of government and even the Palaces of Rulers with his magic and escape act --and could get past any lock -- would make HOUDINI one hell of an operative for gathering intell.

Today, on a more pedestrian note, take the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, a law enforcement and intelligence agency that primarily investigates crimes in the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps. N.C.I.S. recruits ANYONE that they feel can suit their needs. Not just from the military, it can be a civilian scientist, a doctor, a police detective, etc... Special talents recruiting, right there.
(Makes a great tv series, too! :cwink:)

Yeah that is true but then they can also train CIA operatives too well provided they get their training at Langley. However, if they are overseas operatives they can train elsewhere. Then if they come back home then they can put their skills to use but organizations like SHIELD are only a myth. It would be something if they actually existed and the closest thing to that would probably be the CIA.

I don't think Superheroes of the like we see in comic books could work in real life for a number of reasons. The biggest being that most superheroes just couldn't function under real world legal framework that exists.

Vigilantism is illegal in most places. Acting as if you are law enforcement, in the pursuit of self-perceived justice, but without legal authority makes the actions illegal.

Most governments are not going to encourage vigilantes because it means endorsing citizens to take the law into their own hands rather than back professional law enforcement.

Most superheroes from comic books would either be in jail or sued in real life. Characters like Batman and Daredevil jump out the shadows and physically assault suspects which would put them in legal hot water. Not to mention criminals need to be convicted beyond reasonable doubt which may require many superheroes to take the stand and testify. "I saw the suspect stealing stuff so I swooped in and beat them into submission" probably isn't going to go down well on the stand.

Not to mention characters like Batman often commit crimes while solving crimes. Hacking, trespassing, illegal surveillance, forcing confessions out of people under threats of physical harm, breaking and entering, ect. I'm not a lawyer but I'm not sure how much 'evidence' they gather would be admissible in court.

People would lose their minds if Superheroes with godlike powers such as Superman, The Flash, Wonder Woman or Green Lantern existed. There would be a mass existential crisis if aliens, greek gods and time travelers were real.
No way governments are going to let powerful beings like that go around unchecked.

... CIA operatives too well provided they get their training at Langley. ...if they come back home then they can put their skills to use but organizations like SHIELD are only a myth. It would be something if they actually existed and the closest thing to that would probably be the CIA.

---Well, (unless I am mistaken) wasn`t Colonel Fury recruited from the C.I.A. to head S.H.I.E.L.D....?
I seem to recall Fury`s backstory was that, after his WWII service as leader of "The Howling Commandos", Fury went into the OSS (Office of Special Services), which was created (in Reality) by 'Wild' Bill Donovan, and which - after WWII - morphed into the C.I.A.

The comics had Fury recruited to head the new agency based upon his prior service record...but even Fury had no idea that he was being considered for the post until he was facing a review board (which included tech advisor Tony Stark, no less).

I see what you're saying but if the C.I.A. in real life operated like SHIELD did or does in the comics or even in the movies then I guarantee you there would be a lot of people trying to apply for jobs or even get recruited by the CIA especially when it comes to serving their country

I don't think Superheroes of the like we see in comic books could work in real life for a number of reasons. The biggest being that most superheroes just couldn't function under real world legal framework that exists....

.. No way governments are going to let powerful beings like that go around unchecked.

BINGO ! The only way any superhero could function would be if their power(s) were great enough to keep them from being captured or killed and free to act.
Superman...maybe The Flash or Green Lantern, sure...The Hulk (is he really a hero?) or Thor, sure....
Iron Man, Captain America; only with Government sanction.

The majority of the rest would be hunted down sooner or later.
No matter how noble their intentions; they are still operating autonomously outside the law, and are thus subject to prosecution as a public menace.

Take note of the odd case you hear of where some rabid Police wannabe is going around with a uniform, badge & gun playing cop; when caught they are NEVER offered a job with the force... they are charged with Impersonating An Officer.

Last edited:
Yeah, not to go full conspiracy theorist, but the CIA is no joke. They're not SHIELD with cute uniforms and big heroic insignia, they're masters of mental warfare on a grand scale. It's nice to imagine that Superman could do what he wanted because of his power level, but with CIA level intelligence on Lois, Jimmy, Perry, Ma Kent and etc, I'd have Superman eating out of the palm of my hand. The Flash, GL and Hulk would be even easier to monitor, manipulate, threaten, coerce, bribe and otherwise control because they are fundamentally human and have all the human needs that the intelligence operatives are trained to manipulate.

And that's why I think the most realistic take on what superheroes would be like in the real world is... THE INCREDIBLES.

Not just the suing thing by the public, but that fact that the Incredibles are government operatives, they are trained in infiltration like government operatives, their secret identities are covers maintained by the American intelligence machine. If there are superheroes in the US, they are absolutely going to be working for the CIA.

Yeah, not to go full conspiracy theorist, but the CIA is no joke. They're not SHIELD with cute uniforms and big heroic insignia, they're masters of mental warfare on a grand scale. It's nice to imagine that Superman could do what he wanted because of his power level, but with CIA level intelligence on Lois, Jimmy, Perry, Ma Kent and etc, I'd have Superman eating out of the palm of my hand. The Flash, GL and Hulk would be even easier to monitor, manipulate, threaten, coerce, bribe and otherwise control because they are fundamentally human and have all the human needs that the intelligence operatives are trained to manipulate.

And that's why I think the most realistic take on what superheroes would be like in the real world is... THE INCREDIBLES.

Not just the suing thing by the public, but that fact that the Incredibles are government operatives, they are trained in infiltration like government operatives, their secret identities are covers maintained by the American intelligence machine. If there are superheroes in the US, they are absolutely going to be working for the CIA.

Yeah The Incredibles would probably be the closest thing to superheroes especially in the real world probably working for the CIA or some other top secret organization if anything especially it is funded by the government

Villains or at least selective heroes probably would precede heroes, with corporate executives either creating their own through advanced science or people getting powers on their own accidentally but then being bribed to working exclusively for a rich executive.

... if the C.I.A. in real life operated like SHIELD did or does in the comics or even in the movies then I guarantee you there would be a lot of people trying to apply for jobs or even get recruited by the CIA especially when it comes to serving their country

Trouble is, S.H.I.E.L.D. --like every sci-fi/fantasy organization such as U.N.I.T. or U.N.C.L.E. or CURE...or even "International Rescue" (Thunderbirds are GO!) -- operate within their own fictional world construct wherein they CAN function.

Things get far messier in the real world.

The best C.I.A. treatment I have ever seen was the 2001 film "The Spy Game", wherein an agent is caught overseas and being tortured for information. The Agency plans to disavow him to spare the U.S. embarrassment. The man who recruited & trained him --and is about to retire--has just 24 hours to get a rescue plan going to save his protege before he loses the authority to help...and before the man is executed.

remember that superhero thread a few years ago?...oh lawd

If heroes actually did exist then so do the chances or greater the chances are for threats to all of a sudden send the world into chaos...by that meaning supervillains would be sent in to counter heroes because it would be inevitable especially in modern day society

The super-secret-super team we need in Trump America is...

TEAM AMERICA !

AMERICA...F**K, YEAH ! :pun:

:whatever:

I don't think Superheroes of the like we see in comic books could work in real life for a number of reasons. The biggest being that most superheroes just couldn't function under real world legal framework that exists.

Vigilantism is illegal in most places. Acting as if you are law enforcement, in the pursuit of self-perceived justice, but without legal authority makes the actions illegal.

Most governments are not going to encourage vigilantes because it means endorsing citizens to take the law into their own hands rather than back professional law enforcement.

Most superheroes from comic books would either be in jail or sued in real life. Characters like Batman and Daredevil jump out the shadows and physically assault suspects which would put them in legal hot water. Not to mention criminals need to be convicted beyond reasonable doubt which may require many superheroes to take the stand and testify. "I saw the suspect stealing stuff so I swooped in and beat them into submission" probably isn't going to go down well on the stand.

Not to mention characters like Batman often commit crimes while solving crimes. Hacking, trespassing, illegal surveillance, forcing confessions out of people under threats of physical harm, breaking and entering, ect. I'm not a lawyer but I'm not sure how much 'evidence' they gather would be admissible in court.

People would lose their minds if Superheroes with godlike powers such as Superman, The Flash, Wonder Woman or Green Lantern existed. There would be a mass existential crisis if aliens, greek gods and time travelers were real.
No way governments are going to let powerful beings like that go around unchecked.

There's also the mental well being of the vigilante as well. Batman is usually never shown to break his moral code despite witnessing the worst humanity has to offer. Alan Moore wrote Watchmen to show how vigilantes would realistically be in the real world. Rorschach got rid of his moral code when he was investigating a kidnapping case and found out the kidnapper killed, butchered, and fed a six year old girl to his dogs after he kidnapped the wrong girl. Some city could get a idealistic vigilante trying to do the right thing, but the people won't know if this guy will turn into some amoral Punisher type.

tyhe Xmen fit in this catigory as well cause they were made as kitty said to be xaviers secret warriror's and inthe books as said inthye first page the only other persona that can dis mantle them if xaver wasnt around was a certain high level FBI agent. known as fred dunken. bvefor the latter died . in later years after the first X factor was made both Xavier and cyclops met and saw a young woman by the name of Dr. valeriy cooper who was best friend with the spider woman know julia carpenter who'd now the known mada web both are goverment and work for the Comission for Super human activices other wsie the CSA and put cyclops brother inthe posistion to run Xfactor thiswas after the first X factor worked for the government bount hunter and then the came out to the publice after apoclypes exposed him self to the world . the X-men were doing jobs for bothe the CSA and shield

Xavier Faculty: this is the actual thing. To start off. Xavier taught all of them when Storm and ("second genesis team") the other's came along. Their skilled paramedic's, and they're also skilled in multple language's. The latter part is before Morrison's heavy retcount's. where they met xorn.

This is what they should be teaching.

Iceman/Bobby's Extent of education:Economics degree at the University of Columbia. which was shown in both the X -Men title's(as student, went to UCLA) and teaching in genX. (formerly) U.S. government operative.

Angel/Warren's Extent of education: Business degree (as student, went to U at the University of columbia.) run's /ran enterprise. (formerly)U.S. government operative.

Beast/Hank, science his Extent of education: Is a Ph.D. in Biochemistry it's simple he's Biochemist, college lecturer,and fluent in Russian, Chinese and in other languages. So that isn't hard to figure out. he also has U.S. government operative status.

Cyclops/scott's Extent of education: still trying to to get a full grip here on that. From what's been put out though. it seems, that he was in Xavier's School College graduate, post-graduate courses and other college courses, during the time he first found havok and met Sauron and that Xavier was thought dead ( In reality in hiding),and befor storm and the other's showed.

Scott was also shown having an apartment of his own in manhatten NY, befor Xavier resurfaced to battle the Z'noxx. so I'm going with that. I just need to conclued it.
He has a Bachorlores and Masters degrees in :physics,Aeronautic, Astro physic's, Quantum Physics, Advanced Energy Physics, Mechanical Engineering,Game theory,( which is Intellegence Speek for strategy and Tactic's) and Linguistics in certain laguage's (Spanish,japanese,Arabic) taught to him by Xavier.
note he picked up Arabic in SFC.
But cyclops has become pilot , a fisher men, Radio DJ/announcer ,a(formerly) U.S. government operative, (occasionally) freelance/shield op, and has been on other x- team's.
If anything scott should own airplane parts and airline company.he'd be teaching kids aviation.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...623/record_flight_strickland_060623/20060623/

phoenix/ jean also went to college something called metro college, I think.

I'll find out. more. I don't think she Finished, whatever it was she was doing there. I think she was doing all the same one's Xaiver has as degree's.jean had (formerly) U.S. government operative, (Occasionally)freelance/shield op, a model and been other x-team's.

alex/havok Extent of education: alex has a Graduate student degree in geophysics, U.S. government operative/x-factor X-men Member.

polaris/lorna Extent of education:has Graduate student in archaeology at the University of California at Berkeley, U.S. government operative/ x-factor, x-men member.

Mutiple man Extent of education: med tech/paramedic worked for moria once. U.S. government operative,/x-factor, X-Men member.

most of the X-factor members had or still have US operative status. link's and contact's through val cooper and certain high-ranking shield agent's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"