Cross Game Chat Not Possible on PS3.

KALEL114

Returned
Reaction score
I couldn't care less for this feature, but many have been waiting for it. Unfortunately, it is not possible due to RAM restrictions.

Cross-game voice chat is not possible on the PlayStation 3 because of memory restrictions, Sony has revealed.

The PS3's RAM is gobbled up by the games it runs, which prevents the much-desired feature from being implemented, Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida told Eurogamer.

"Once a game gets RAM we never give it back," he said. "It's not possible to retrofit something like that after the fact."

As revealed by Eurogamer yesterday, PS Vita, due out in Europe early next year, actually has more RAM than the PS3.

Vita has 512MB of RAM and 128MB of V-RAM, compared to the PS3's 256MB of system RAM and 256MB of video RAM. This enables features such as cross-game voice chat to run in the background while games are being played.

On the PS3, however, things are different.
"The game has to use its own memory to do [in-game voice chat]. There's always voice chat in the game. But it's a part of a game feature. It's not a part of an OS feature. That's the reason in terms of the ability to have voice chat across different games."

So, voice chat is better on Vita than PS3?
"We totally agree!" Yoshida replied.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-19-why-the-ps3-cant-do-cross-game-voice-chat

RAM is the one main thing they need to address with the PS4. They need more of it and change how it is managed. This is just another example of it's importance.

Cross game chat on the 360 makes communicating with friends FAR easier than anything on the PS3, its something that was desperately needed, at very least they needed a party system.

If I'm playing a game, I don't want to sit there and talk to someone through a mic unless they are in the game with me. I want to focus on the game and not chit chat about world events or whatever else. If I want to talk to my friends outside of playing a game I'll just send them an invite to a chat room. Cross game chat is useless to me. My opinion of course.

Im with Kalel114. I never got the strong desire. If Im playing a game, I have no interest chatting with others playing something else. That would be a distraction to me . Ive always found it to be an overrated feature.

I didnt realize ti was a RAM issue though. I thought I read it had to do with bandwith which is why it was rumored to go to PLUS, a paid service which would have covered it for those subscribers

That is beyond messed up. You think Sony would try and do something to fix it.

That is beyond messed up. You think Sony would try and do something to fix it.
Well Im sure they have which is why it took them so long to finally come out with this. It would have been easier to outright say this years ago, but Im sure they've been working on it behind the scenes and they relized its simply not possible

Im with Kalel114. I never got the strong desire. If Im playing a game, I have no interest chatting with others playing something else. That would be a distraction to me . Ive always found it to be an overrated feature.

I didnt realize ti was a RAM issue though. I thought I read it had to do with bandwith which is why it was rumored to go to PLUS, a paid service which would have covered it for those subscribers

If you had access to it, you probably wouldnt feel the same. But because you are a PS3 only(or primary) user, you don't think its that important. I am damn certain there was a time where you were online and wanted to tell one of your buddies something. It's far easier with cross game chat or a party system. Maybe you guys are just a little on the anti social side?

If you had access to it, you probably wouldnt feel the same. But because you are a PS3 only(or primary) user, you don't think its that important. I am damn certain there was a time where you were online and wanted to tell one of your buddies something. It's far easier with cross game chat or a party system. Maybe you guys are just a little on the anti social side?
If I needed to tell a buddy something, Im still able to send him a message.

It Only Does Everything

Wait what ?

If I needed to tell a buddy something, Im still able to send him a message.

Same here.

@ Pat: I am the complete opposite of anti-social. I just take my gaming a bit seriously. I don't want to be talking to someone while I'm trying to get through, say Uncharted 3 for example. I want to take it all in. I don't want to miss anything because my friend is having girl troubles.

I know it is a feature a lot of people like, but it has never appealed to me in slightest. I probably used it once with my 360. I was playing one game and a friend asked me to join him in another. It could have easily been a message if I were on my PS3. I guess it's just a personal preference.

I couldn't care less, either.
When I want to talk, I have my MSN on. When I'm doing both and it's taking away from my experience, I'll just focus on the game.

This was a feature I kind of wanted, I wasn't standing outside of Sony Headquarters with picket signs but it would've been nice. If it was available I think people who say they aren't interested would definitely enjoy it. Sometimes I do wanna chat with my co-workers or online friends when I'm playing a different game and not just msg'ing them which pulls me out of the game too often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"