• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Daddy's Little Girl: Casting ZEUS (WW's father) and other Gods

Just based on everything we've seen so far come out of Wonder Woman. I don't think the Greek Pantheon's (apart from Ares probably) will have a big role to play in this Wonder Woman movie.

I think the last two big unconfirmed castings are Huston (popular guess Ares) and Anaya (maybe person who works for Ares).

After Wonder Woman any thoughts on

Status of the gods? According to both Hippolyta and Ares they where all killed thousands of years ago. They didn't play a major role in this first movie. Would anyone still like to see them returned in future installments or keep them dead?

Last edited:
After Wonder Woman any thoughts on

Status of the gods? According to both Hippolyta and Ares they where all killed thousands of years ago. They didn't play a major role in this first movie. Would anyone still like to see them returned in future installments or keep them dead?

I was surprised at the casual way they wrote the gods out,
especially Zeus. But the good thing about stuff like this is that you can easily rectify it. Any manner or rationalizations can be used to return the gods.
I think it was a good choice to limit any outside help for Diana. I also think that it was good to reveal the relationship Diana has to the gods at the end.
It kept the early goings focused on Diana's relationship with her mother and Aunt, and kept a theme of WW's origin, Hippolyta's reticence to allow Diana to step into a role she knows she is destined for, which is a longstanding part of WW's story.

This is the sort of thing that KINDA annoys me, but I applaud them as its what needs to be done in adaptations to create a better flowing narrative for the immediate story they are trying to tell.

As for the future of the gods, I'd like them to be better established but not active participants. Maybe a glorified cameo by one or two.

It also helps to establish Ares as a real threat. And it's a way to do the Zeus origin for Diana without her entire existence/character being defined by it. Kind of clever actually. As for future appearances, I'd like to see Hera or Hades appear. That'd be kind of cool.

So, are the Gods

Actually all dead, or was that just a legend?

The handling of the Gods was a weak point of the film for me. Hoping to see more of them in a sequel, with all the politics and jealousies.

Pierce Brosnan as Zeus
Catherine Zeta Jones as Hera
Alexandra Daddario as Artemis

honestly

I don't care that the gods are dead, the movie is about Diana and that was the focus, we all know who Zeus is and what he's about, they gave a brief intro on her mother and who she is and that's that. The rest of the movie focused primarily on Diana and the mission of the amazons, to rid the world of Ares. They gave strong points as to why Ares IS the God Of War and why he should be feared and it worked.

No one outright said Zeus was dead (just that he made Themyscira with his last breath.....last breath before being reborn, last breath before going into hibernation.....many ways to take that) or which of the gods died, there are literally hundreds of gods so the core ones we all know of could very well be alive and just hiding among mankind like Ares was but are weakened due to the fight with Ares.

I thought it was handled very well for her origin movie and there's plenty of time to further explain them in future installments which thankfully looks golden right now :D

The lack of the gods allow for Diana to feel more special/important and that she has nothing to fall back on in her solo movies but herself. Bring in demi gods or just strong beings from mythology if you need anything. Though they could easily bring back some of the gods if they really needed it.

This was my one big let down for the film. The gods are an integral part of Diana's story.

Like I've said elsewhere, I think the fate of the gods was leftover setting cruft Patty wasn't allowed to rewrite. I suspect that, after the movie's success, she'll have much greater freedom to arrange for a few divine returns, if that's what she wishes.

Sure, but I want a mega battle among the gods so that means Ares has to come back to :p

Lots still to mine. Tartarus, Titans, Herakles, the rift between Hera and Zeus, OTHER pantheons...

Lots still to mine. Tartarus, Titans, Herakles, the rift between Hera and Zeus, OTHER pantheons...

True. I just really like the dynamic between Diana and Ares. Also I thought Ares was just awesome in the movie lol

True. I just really like the dynamic between Diana and Ares. Also I thought Ares was just awesome in the movie lol

I liked how Ares
built his armor from the wreckage of war. Carving the eye holes for his helmet from molten steel with his fingers was a great touch.

I thought they would at least allude to some of the gods secretly watching from a far. An Owl perched somewhere to represent Athena.

I thought they would at least allude to some of the gods secretly watching from a far. An Owl perched somewhere to represent Athena.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if they eventually reveal that. . . okay, Zeus did give Diana life. However, she wasn't just some random new demi-deity child. Rather, she was the reborn essence of a slain deity- specifically, Athena. Partly because it fits with her theme ( seriously, the Amazons should be servitors of Athena, it pains me every time a new version has them otherwise ). Partly because it provides a good way to both reintroduce the gods while also keeping them from overwhelming the setting: gods can be reborn, but its not easy and takes time, and until Ares' death none of them had the chance to do so save Diana ( presumably because Ares kept killing them, or trapped them, or just otherwise rendered it imprudent for them to reincarnate ). Thus, Diana has a head start on all the other reborn gods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"