• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Darker=Better?

MadVillainy

C'mon Son
Reaction score
Hollywood seems to have a new mentality for superhero films that darker is better just because of Watchmen and The Dark Knight.
2 series so far have been rebooted so that "darker" themes can be explored. What do you think of this? Is darker better?

Me personally not every character should be dark...characters like Batman, Daredevil, and Hulk can be dark but dont make Fantastic Four or Superman overly dark. Of course they should be like watching a toy fair film, but dont make them like Sin City dark either.

If the material is dark, make the movie dark.
If the material is light, make the movie light.
It's as simple as that. Hollywood is crap.

Agreed with bolded

I'm not going to say Hollywood is all crap but I think alot of times they are pretty ignorant when it comes to adapting superhero films.
But they do have alot of the films down pact
Batman Begins and The Dark Knight
X-Men and X2
Spider-man and Spider-man 2
Many Aspects of Watchmen
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk (not that Ang Lee trash)
Blade

it's all about a good narrative that takes itself seriously. you can do that and be light if the characters are supposed to be light.

only characters should be light/dark and a story is a story. Don't bend your characters to fit around a certain tone. Or story for that matter.

get a good idea and realistically show us how this character would deal with it. That's all we want

Darker ain't better. Better is better... which just happens to be that the best so far chose to be darker.

I don't know if darker is the right word but.. something like that, yeah. Not necessarily darker, but at least a bit serious.. so we don't get kiddy stuff like the Fantastic Four crapfest

This is the best answer to your question, no need for other comments.

ya there is other ppl could have other opions

Exactly. Do what suits the material, don't twist the material into something it's not supposed to be.

In some cases, darker is better. In other cases, not.

Darker is not better, but too dark is bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"