Darkman vs Dick Tracy

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
A spin-off of The Shadow vs The Rocketeer vs The Phantom, pulp Heroes thread. :D

Dick Tracy felt like a comic book equivelant of The Untouchables as opposed to the pure pulpy adventure feel of the other 3 although I know it also has radio serial roots and it was incredible visually in 1990.

Darkman was Sam Raimi's creation when he couldn't get hold of the rights to The Shadow, it also riffs off the classic Invisible Man and featured Raimi's trademark dynamic camera moves and flair.

Darkman1.jpg

VS

dick1-700x700.jpg

I don’t know how you compare the two. Both I guess are B-level pulp, but one is a dark cynical take where as the other is more bright and campy. I do like Darkman better but enjoyed the over acting in Tracy by Pacino.

Love both films, extremely hard to choose, flip of a coin job for me. Recently watched Darkman again without having seen it for years and it wasn't as good as remembered, a 7/10 film, rather it being a 9/10 film in my teens or early 20's, where as Dick Tracy has all the elements of the source material and the villains are arguably better cast than the hero leads and it's a 'fun' film with darker moments (for a PG) film. Darkman was very Phantom of the Opera and Invisible Man, both superior films IMO, I love it but going to have to go with Dick.

Last edited:
I voted Dick Tracy, but one thing I like about Darkman: when Roger Ebert reviewed this film on the Siskel and Ebert TV show, he pointedly said the relatively unknown Liam Neeson and Frances McDormand were emerging talents we should be watching out for.

I'd pick Dick Tracy, but I would think Darkman and The Shadow would be more comparable since Sam Raimi made Darkman in lieu of failing to get the rights for The Shadow.

"Darkman" is just a visual masterpiece and a great cinematic achievement.

I like Dark Man but have to go with Dick Tracy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"