Do you need to be handsome to be President?

In this day and age of mass visual media, do you think a non-astheatically pleaseing person could be elected President of the United States?

Barack Obama, George Bush, Bill Clinton - they are all good looking men. There have been some exceptions in the 20th Century, like Nixon and Bush Sr, who I don't think looked that appealing when in office... but that was then.

Look at someone like Abraham Lincoln. He is a strange looking man. Look at people like Bill Richardson - a capable man who never had a chance because he is not handsome. During the same election, there was running criticism that Hillary would not age well if elected and "we'd have to look at her wrinkles and sags for the next four years".

What do you think? Could someone who looks like the Toxic Avenger win popularity with today's society? Do we value superficiality over ability?

Considering many historians believe that Nixon did not win the election against Kennedy because the debates were the first to be televised.....it probably doesn't hurt....

In substance, the candidates were much more evenly matched. Indeed, those who heard the first debate on the radio pronounced Nixon the winner. But the 70 million who watched television saw a candidate still sickly and obviously discomforted by Kennedy's smooth delivery and charisma. Those television viewers focused on what they saw, not what they heard. Studies of the audience indicated that, among television viewers, Kennedy was perceived the winner of the first debate by a very large margin

Edwards is an example of how looks really dont do that much. Same for Romney. For guys a lot fo early buzz, they have pretty much no influence.

It's not that the more handsome the person is, the more likely they will win. It's that ugly people won't get elected.

All modern presidential contests are essentially personality/likability contests. Reagan, Clinton, W. Bush, Obama. The only possible exception is Bush Sr. but I don't know a lot about that 88 election as it is.

Bush Sr. was also the VP, so that helped.

Reagan also had the benefit of having Jimmy Carter being the president before him. =/

I've wondered if we could ever elect a person with a disability again. The last time it happened was in an age of radio and limited tv.

I would like to think that our country would elect the better person, regardless of appearance...but I think we are a little too shallow.

I assume you're talking about FDR? If so, remember he did just about everything he could to hide his condition from the citizenry. Did you see his special hidden rail terminal on Cities of the Underworld?

I dunno if handsome is key.

But, not being ugly seems to help. Being handsome appears to boost the President for some reason. Wheter it's JFK, Reagan or Obama.

I assume you're talking about FDR? If so, remember he did just about everything he could to hide his condition from the citizenry. Did you see his special hidden rail terminal on Cities of the Underworld?

Yes I did. That was pretty unbelievable!

I believe being handsome/attractive can get you far in politics as long as you don't do or say anything too stupid.

Palin has gotten pretty far mostly due to her looks IMO.

No, but it sure helps.

Height is an important factor.

I wonder if there will ever be another bearded president...
I read once that 80% of the time, the taller candidate wins the election. It was in a book called Sex on the Brain, page 100. :o It said that between 1904 and 1980, the taller candidate tended to win.
I've wondered if we could ever elect a person with a disability again. The last time it happened was in an age of radio and limited tv.

I would like to think that our country would elect the better person, regardless of appearance...but I think we are a little too shallow.
I've wondered if we could ever have a president with a mental illness. People's initial reaction, I think, would be "Hell no!" but some historians think that Lincoln was a manic depressive. Some have said that Teddy Roosevelt had a hypo manic personality.

I believe being handsome/attractive can get you far in politics as long as you don't do or say anything too stupid.

Agreed on both counts.

Last edited:
I've always wondered if all things were the same (policy and action everything on the campaign) how a young slimmer McCain would have faired against Obama. He used to look like a cross between Tom Cruise and George Eads

johnmccainyoung2.jpg

Last edited:
McCain's age was always his greatest downfall in 2008....he just decided too late to be President......and in 2000, at least with many of my Independent friends he was much too angry.

Makes them look old.

But it also makes them look mature and sophisticated.

LOL, she go further then she should have.

I've always wondered if all things were the same (policy and action everything on the campaign) how a young slimmer McCain would have faired against Obama. He used to look like a cross between Tom Cruise and George Eads

johnmccainyoung2.jpg

A younger McCain wouldn't have got the Republican nomination. Hell, W. got the nomination over him.

McCain's age was always his greatest downfall in 2008....he just decided too late to be President......and in 2000, at least with many of my Independent friends he was much too angry.

He was more honest in 2000, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"