• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does box office really matter?

batman1

Civilian
Reaction score
I mean with comic movies they can even suck and draw $500 mill. Everyone complains about the Transformer movies yet they make over $1 bill every time. Yet we all understand that box office numbers are important. We also know that without decent numbers there will be no sequels. So what is the real importance of box office?

To feed the studios, so that they can make more movies like the ones they do at the moment. With a good movie, i usualy hope for a good box office grossing because i want the film to get the merit it deserves.

Depends on what you mean by matter.

Does it matter when discussing quality of a movie? No
Does it matter in the likelihood of getting sequels? Yes

I heard on AMC Movie Talk that the primary purpose of the box office is a way for the general audience to communicate with the studios.

To feed the studios, so that they can make more movies like the ones they do at the moment. With a good movie, i usualy hope for a good box office grossing because i want the film to get the merit it deserves.

This pretty much sums it up.

To make the money the studios need to make more movies. The types of movies that make the most profit in turn get the most made.

Because Nicolas Cage is only $3,218.52 away from having his own cloned pet dimetrodon, that's why.

I mean with comic movies they can even suck and draw $500 mill. Everyone complains about the Transformer movies yet they make over $1 bill every time. Yet we all understand that box office numbers are important. We also know that without decent numbers there will be no sequels. So what is the real importance of box office?

The Secret Service, American Sniper, and 50 Shades proves that Rated R movies are profitable. SO that'll encourage studios to not be scared off from Rated R films.

Also, when a good movie does well, it encourages studios to rethink what to green light. Like with TV doing so well, and competition from Netflix/Hulu/Amazon, it's forcing other networks to do GOOD, INTELLIGENT TELEVISION PROGRAMING.

Or if a movie does well and it has a strong minority cast (Fast and Furious) it'll slowly changes the way Hollywood think about race and box office. It's a slow procress but things are changing.

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"