Does it annoy you how people constantly fail to recognize some movies as "DC" flicks?

The Batman

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
Fan 1: DC never does any movies besides Superman and Batman!

Fan 2: False. They've done Constantine, V for Vendetta, and they're making Jonah Hex.

Fan 1": Uh....They dont count!

Ah....except the problem is...they do. Its simple really:

A DC Comic: A comic book published by DC comics, whether it is Vertigo, Wildstorm, or DCU

A DC Film: A film based on a comic published by DC.

The "They dont count" is you're flimsy reasoning for trying to justify your ranting. And you look even more ridiculous when you claim "Jonah Hex" dosent count, when he's CLEARLY A DCU CHARACTER.

Anyone else agree?

I wouldn't call it a failure to recognize. Unless your talking about people who just don 't know, like a lot of people just didn't know Blade was a Marvel comic. But that is not a failure to recognize.
I have seen the types of discussions you're talking about though, and from what I've seen some people just seem to make a pretty obvious distinction, between the more traditional "cape & tight" Superhero fair of the main DC line vs. DC's many other publications.
As far as things like Watchmen for eg. it's just considered another universe that has never existed or crossed over with the main line of heroes. Catwoman was a-made-for-the-movies character.
I'm not going to get into or debate all the minutia and variables of each; like Hex being reguarded as a true "superhero", or if he dated Wonder Woman once so therefore he counts, or if Constantine shared a scone with Dr.Fate etc.
Whatever debate that may spawn I'm not interested, but I do think it's relatively clear what they are talking about, and the simple distinction they are drawing.
At least in the discussions I've seen, it's obvious. So no, it certainly wouldn't annoy me, or drive me to start a thread ranting against it.

Last edited:
Doesnt bother me one bit. I like when DC does well and certain properties would not be as popular if people at large knew they were originally comics, cuz some people don't like those. As long as DC turns a profit I'm happy, don't care if they recognize it or not.

I wouldnt mind at all if they even removed the DC logo from Human Target.

I agree, I also hate it when a character like Captain Marvel or Lobo is said to be in development some guys are "No, they don't deserve a movie yet over the likes of *insert popular superhero here*.

I wouldn't call it a failure to recognize. Unless your talking about people who just don 't know, like a lot of people just didn't know Blade was a Marvel comic. But that is not a failure to recognize.
I have seen the types of discussions you're talking about though, and from what I've seen some people just seem to make a pretty obvious distinction, between the more traditional "cape & tight" Superhero fair of the main DC line vs. DC's many other publications.
As far as Watchmen for eg. it's considered another universe that has never existed or crossed over with the main line of heroes. Catwoman was a-made-for-the-movies character.
I'm not going to get into or debate all the minutia and variables of each; like Hex being a reguarded as a true "superhero", or if he dated Wonder Woman's mother once so therefore he counts, or if Constantine shared a scone with Dr.Fate etc. Whatever debate that may spawn I'm not interested, but I do think it's relatively clear what they are talking about, and the simple distinction they are drawing.
At least in the discussions I've seen, it's obvious. So no, it certainly wouldn't annoy me, or drive me to start a thread ranting against it.

Agreed.

yea some folks are silly like that, sure they are not all mainstream books but they do count as dc films. Though most of those are not super powered heroes type of films say of a superman/flash/gl type of film.

Doesnt bother me one bit. I like when DC does well and certain properties would not be as popular if people at large knew they were originally comics, cuz some people don't like those. As long as DC turns a profit I'm happy, don't care if they recognize it or not.

I wouldnt mind at all if they even removed the DC logo from Human Target.

I think it'd work best if they had both the DC and Vertigo/Wildstorm/Mad etc logos before a film starts

It doesn't bother me because Constantine and V for Vendetta sucked, therefore I do not acknowledge them as DC...

Also, since they are Vertigo and not part of DC Continuity, it doesn't matter. That's like getting mad because the Disney logo isn't in front of every Marvle Movie.

Also, since they are Vertigo and not part of DC Continuity, it doesn't matter. That's like getting mad because the Disney logo isn't in front of every Marvle Movie.

Bad comparison. Last I checked, Marvel publishes Marvel comics, not disney.

However, Dc does publish vertigo.

There is one more problem, even if Green Lantern or The Flash movie comes out and is successful people (GA) still associate the DC movies with Marvel, it is not uncommon to hear someone saying, "I liked that Marvel movie, which featured Green Lantern".

To them DC means Superman or Batman.

Most of superheroes are from Marvel Family is the kind of general perception going around among non comic book movie goers.

Fan 2: False. They've done Constantine, V for Vendetta, and they're making Jonah Hex.

A DC Comic: A comic book published by DC comics, whether it is Vertigo, Wildstorm, or DCU

The "They dont count" is you're flimsy reasoning for trying to justify your ranting. And you look even more ridiculous when you claim "Jonah Hex" dosent count, when he's CLEARLY A DCU CHARACTER.

Anyone else agree?

I'm not sure it's that simple. To tell you the truth, I'm kinda bothered when people refer to V for Vendetta as a DC property because the series was around long before DC printed it and, as far as I know, it's creator-owned (correct me if I'm wrong). Then there's the Spirit, a character that's been around for decades before DC snapped up the rights. I guess we can consider him a DC character now, or at least until DC loses the rights somehow, like it had with the Shadow and Doc Savage (though they have recently re-acquired the latter). Speaking of which, when that planned Doc Savage movie finally gets made, would it be considered a DC film simply because the company's currently publishing his comic book adventures?

On the other hand, I don't like it either when people assume that Vertigo characters like Constantine, Swamp Thing and the Sandman are seperate from the DC Universe, because they very much have ties to it (but I'm talking about the comic versions in this case. I personally wouldn't want Constantine doing a walk-on in a Batman movie or anything like that). A History of Violence was also a Vertigo comic, but it obviously has nothing to do with the DCU, and frankly it feels weird to refer to its film adaptation as a DC movie anyway.

I don't know the answer to the problem, really. It seems it depends on the viewer which films count as DC movies and which don't.

Last edited:
I agree, I also hate it when a character like Captain Marvel or Lobo is said to be in development some guys are "No, they don't deserve a movie yet over the likes of *insert popular superhero here*.

This annoys me more than the original post

I'm not sure it's that simple. To tell you the truth, I'm kinda bothered when people refer to V for Vendetta as a DC property because the series was around long before DC printed it and, as far as I know, it's creator-owned (correct me if I'm wrong). Then there's the Spirit, a character that's been around for decades before DC snapped up the rights. I guess we can consider him a DC character now, or at least until DC loses the rights somehow, like it had with the Shadow and Doc Savage (though they have recently re-acquired the latter). Speaking of which, when that planned Doc Savage movie finally gets made, would it be considered a DC film simply because the company's currently publishing his comic book adventures?

On the other hand, I don't like it either when people assume that Vertigo characters like Constantine, Swamp Thing and the Sandman are seperate from the DC Universe, because they very much have ties to it (but I'm talking about the comic versions in this case. I personally wouldn't want Constantine doing a walk-on in a Batman movie or anything like that). A History of Violence was also a Vertigo comic, but it obviously has nothing to do with the DCU, and frankly it feels weird to refer to its film adaptation as a DC movie anyway.

I don't know the answer to the problem, really. It seems it depends on the viewer which films count as DC movies and which don't.

You're right, its not that simple. But most people dont even realize that. Fans on here seem to be under the belief that if its not superheroes, or something under the "DC Universe" banner it dosent count, even when the character is clearly someone who's in the same universe as Superman or Batman.

Last edited:
I agree with you it can get annoying. I think that there is a big chunk of ticket buyers ,who go see comic movies, and dont know anyone other then Batman or Superman. That is part of the problem.

Last edited:

Anyone else agree?
Yes I do.

History Of Violence {DC owned Paradox Press}
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Road to Perdition {DC owned Paradox Press}
V For Vendetta
Constantine
Jonah Hex
Stardust
The Losers
Red {Out next year}

All are movies based on comics and ALL are owned by DC Comics in one way or another.

I will say this though. I don't think characters such as The Shadow, Doc Savage or The Spirit should be counted as DC characters just because DC owns the rights to them right now. I consider them characters that are leased to DC Comics.

The way I see it, If DC comics is the first to publish a comic that is made into a movie then that character is DC but if a character is first published by another comic Co and DC just leases said character at the same time a movie is made, Then it shouldn't be counted as a DC character.

Captain Marvel is the exception to that rule. CM was first published by Fawcett Comics back in the 40s and 50s but DC bought the rights to him and he's been a part of the DC universe for so long now that I think of him as a DC character. DC owns CM, He's not leased to DC Comics.

PS, I said the letters "D" & "C" to much on that post. :wow::hehe:

Last edited:
Yeah, it annoys me too.

Especially since it falls for the same cliche that the comics medium consists entirely of superheroes. Hard to blame the media for not knowing any better when fans apparently don't know any better either.

And, in regards to DC, I think it shows a failure to appreciate the diversity of the publisher's history. There have been significant science fiction, western, war, horror, and humor books throughout the publisher's history. If movies accurately reflect DC, then there should be DC movies for all those genres and more.

yea it sucks when folks dont really know these things.

Heck, is John Constantine really a less significant character than, say, Ghost Rider? Or Hellboy? A series with 265 issues and still going. Numerous original graphic novels and specials. Guest appearances in important comics like Swamp Thing and Books of Magic. He's been a continuous presence in comics for a quarter century.

Heck, how many comic book characters have a storyline as acclaimed as Dangerous Habits?

Jonah Hex has nearly a 40 year history and is the preeminent western anti-hero in comics. Is he any less important than some B-level superhero?

Yes I do.

V For Vendetta
Constantine
Jonah Hex
Stardust
The Losers
Red {Out next year}

All are movies based on comics and ALL are owned by DC Comics in one way or another.

I will say this though. I don't think characters such as The Shadow, Doc Savage or The Spirit should be counted as DC characters just because DC owns the rights to them right now. I consider them characters that are leased to DC Comics.

The way I see it, If DC comics is the first to publish a comic that is made into a movie then that character is DC but if a character is first published by another comic Co and DC just leases said character at the same time a movie is made, Then it shouldn't be counted as a DC character.

Captain Marvel is the exception to that rule. CM was first published by Fawcett Comics back in the 40s and 50s but DC bought the rights to him and he's been a part of the DC universe for so long now that I think of him as a DC character. DC owns CM, He's not leased to DC Comics.

I agree with your post, but referring to the bolded part.."The Spirit" wasn't recognized as a DC flick, and rightfully so.

I agree with your post, but referring to the bolded part.."The Spirit" wasn't recognized as a DC flick, and rightfully so.
Yeah I know but some people seem to think that The Spirit is a DC movie since they reprinted the old series. I've read where some people list it as DC when counting how many movies they've made.

:yay:

Perfect Alice In Wonderland
Alice in Wonderland's $34.5 million weekend represents the sixth highest-grossing third weekend ever, and its total now sits at $265.8 million in 17 days. doctor who dvd boxset On Saturday, Alice surpassed Batman to become director Tim Burton's highest grossing movie ever, House MD season dvd though Batman and several others still rank higher in terms of estimated attendance. Alice also topped 300 last Monday to become theCSI Miami DVD highest-grossing March release ever.

Despite a lack of distinctive marketing, Diary of a Wimpy Kid drew a decent crowd, House MD series dvd opening to an estimated $21.8 million on approximately 3,400 screens at 3,077 sites. It was the biggest start ever for a non-animated, The closer seasons dvd non-fantasy children's book adaptation. In fact, Diary grossed more in its first three days than similar movies like Heavyweights, The closer seasons dvd Max Keeble's Big Move, How to Eat Fried Worms and Hoot grossed in their entire runs. Distributor 20th Century Fox focused its advertising on drawing connections between the movie and the book series on which it's based, Gilmore Girls seasons dvd even going as far as creating a stick figure poster that was nearly identical to the book covers. This move seems to have paid off as fans of the series turned out in full force. According to Fox, Scrubs seasons dvd the audience was 51 percent female and 58 percent under 25 years old.

Debuting in third place, The Bounty Hunter bagged an estimated $21 million on around 3,700 screens at 3,074 sites. Mostly ignoring the action comedy premise, shrek seasons dvd boxset distributor Sony Pictures primarily sold the movie on the strength of lead actors Jennifer Aniston and Gerard Butler. While this strategy scored a passable showing, the movie did open lower than Butler's last romantic comedy The Ugly Truth ($27.6 million) and recent Aniston hits He's Just Not That Into You ($27.8 million), Boston leagal seasons dvd Marley and Me ($36.4 million) and The Break-Up ($39.2 million). According to Sony's exit polling, the audience was 58 percent female and evenly split between those over and under 30 years old.
Opening in a distant fourth, Repo Men failed to extract much attention from moviegoers, Las vegas dvdgrossing an estimated $6.2 million on close to 2,700 screens at 2,521 sites. While this falls in line with the generally poor performances of near-future thrillers, it was worse than similar fare like Push ($10.1 million), Children of Men ($10.2 million), The Island ($12.4 million) and Paycheck ($13.5 million). Seinfeld seasons dvd box set A "B" grade from pollster CinemaScore indicates word-of-mouth will be tepid at best.
Among second-weekend holdovers, Green Zone made an estimated $5.96 million, down a rough 58 percent, and has mustered just $24.7 million in ten days. Supernatural seasons DVD She's Out of My League held much better, down 38 percent to an estimated $6.02 million. Our Family Wedding dropped 50 percent to $3.8 million, while Remember Me tumbled 59 percent to $3.3 million.
After four satisfactory weekends in limited release, Cold Case seasons dvdThe Ghost Writer rolled out nationwide to 819 theaters, but grossed a modest estimated $2.1 million for a total of $6.8 million. Music biography The Runaways debuted in 244 theaters, banking an unimpressive estimated $803,000, Desperate Housewives DVDwhich doesn't bode well for its planned nationwide expansion on April 9. Ben Stiller vehicle Greenberg opened at three locations and claimed an estimated $120,000.

Alice in Wonderland led the foreign box office for a third straight week, Ally Mcbeal complete series dvd grossing an estimated $47 million in 49 markets for a total of $300 million. Add in domestic, and Alice has now made an estimated $565.8 million worldwide, passing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to become Mr. Burton's highest grossing movie ever worldwide. Two and A Half Men complete box set In its 14th weekend in theaters, Avatar earned $13 million, bringing its international total to an astounding $1.93 billion. Finally, Green Zone expanded in to 23 territories, but managed a weak $7.4 million for a total of $20.4 million.
And this has what to do with anything said in this thread?:huh:

Yes I do.

V For Vendetta
Constantine
Jonah Hex
Stardust
The Losers
Red {Out next year}

I would argue Stardust isn't even a comic book movie at all because it's basicly an illistrated noval that was realeased in comic boook format. But it was released by Vertigo(correctme if thats wrong). And on a side note I can understand why DC would focus more on Superman and Batman since these two are probaly the two most well know comic chatacters. But I do think the DC/WB only uses Supes and Bat is a little old. Not only does WB/DC use other characters but they're a business and and using the two most popular characters the most makes since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"