• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Doug Hutchison Is Rorshach! I Shall Not Compromise In This.

Caliber said:
I rather see Edward Norton as Rorschach than whoever that guy is.
My first thought was also Edward Norton. I haven't seen Doug Hutchison in anything so I can't comment on him.

To refute some possibilities:

1. Edward Norton. While he is an excellent actor, and could be suitably made up to look right, I think he's got too large a build, and is simply too recognizable to Joe Average Moviegoer to pass in the background in some of Rorshach's scenes. Save Norton for the lead in a Blue Beetle movie, or something like that!

2. Steve Buscemi. It would be a shame if the upcoming remake of the Incredible Hulk didn't utilize Steve Buscemi as Banner. He's perfect. He's the model for the Ultimate Bruce Banner. He's got leading man clout. Also, like Norton, Buscemi is way too recognizable to pass unnoticed in the background.

No disrespect to Doug, but he's not yet at that "instantly recognizable" level to most moviegoers. He's an awesome actor, and DESERVES that status, but right now he's got enough anonymity and skill to seize this role and really surprise people when Rorschach is unmasked.

Rorshach is supposed to be shocking in so many ways. This role would be a career-maker if handled correctly.

Oh, and before anybody suggests Bruce Campbell (it always happens, right?) let me say that Bruce HAS to play Plastic Man in a Justice League movie. It's in the cards. He's perfect.

ConcreteBlock15 said:
Just to keep you up to speed with the latest rumblings from Doug's people in sunny LA, thanks to some transatlantic correspondence:

I'm sure we'll be getting hold of the WATCHMEN graphic novel as, hopefully, things move closer to a meeting with Doug and Snyder. As you've observed by his performance as Percy in THE GREEN MILE, Doug is probably one of the most "method" actors in Hollywood I've known and places utmost importance on prolific research. To prepare for his audition for Darabont for THE GREEN MILE, he read Stephen King's novel (then: a six-part series) back-to-back to absorb as many Percy-details as possible ... and that was before getting the part ...

As for the voice thing...

...basically, I told 'em the reasons why Rorschach has developed his... unique vocal style (social alienation, isolation from his fellow man, desensitisation, the intimidatory effect it has on lowlife scum, etc. etc.,... you know the drill.) By way of example, I sent 'em clips of Jeffrey Combs's V.O. work as The Question on the animated JLU show, and told them to combine this with the dulcet tones of Tom Waits in order to get on the right track! I've read on Hutchison's online Green Mile Diary memoirs that he kept his then co-stars highly amused and enthralled on set with his uncannily accurate Michael Clarke Duncan vocal impersonations!

The word from LA-LA Land on Doug's tonsillary talents:

As for Rorschach's voice, I have NO DOUBT Doug can create something Tom Waits-gravelly and as sinister as the character demands. The reason he -- despite his 5' 6'' frame -- can imitate Michael Clarke Duncan so brilliantly is because Doug was always a "Bass 2" in high school. He can reach deeper tones than Hades, sometimes.

I'll keep y'all posted...

Tom Waits is actually my first choice simply because he has the voice. If Doug could get that down he's got the part, no question. I expect him to down a handle of bourban and smoke two packs of Lucky's a day.

I 100% agree with everything that people said on this board in support of Doug Hutchison, this guy is perfect for the role. It's so awesome to see a fan get an actor interested in any role for a film. I can't wait to see what comes of this.

DOUG HUTCHISON IS RORSCHACH!

Fresh word from the Doug camp in Hollywoodland today, Nov. 27, is that Our Man remains committed to snagging the Rorschach role, and is currently working his craft in order to develop a wholly convincing realisation of the character from the page to real life, in readiness for those all important casting sessions and the official announcement of auditions.

After continued hunting, searching, networking, and ‘doing their thing’ by Doug’s people, it’s apparent that the studio has yet to give the final, ultimate seal of approval to the script recently turned in by Snyder & Co. but that, all being well, WATCHMEN should be heading before the cameras late spring/summer 2007.

It’s expected that the casting call will go out come the New Year in preparation for this schedule. I’m reliably informed that the Doug Is Rorschach campaign has already raised some eyebrows in certain quarters, and that if a sustained level of positive feedback here at the boards akin to that already seen can be generated at the right time, then the casting department can be expected to “…hunt him down to audition and read for the role.”

Watch(men) this space for further updates as I get ‘em, and expect some additional input come the advent of MMVII, including insights into Making Rorschach A Reality from The H Man hisself!

In the meantime, sincere continued thanks for your interest and support, both past, present, and future (or simultaneous, in the case of Dr. Manhattan!)

HURM. NEVER COMPROMISE
http://superherohype.com/news.php?id=4942

ConcreteBlock15 said:
Long time lurker, er... sixth time poster... and lifelong WATCHMEN fan (well, since '86 when it first hit the stands!)

As such, I'm torn over the merits of the latest movie proposal ramping up over at Warner Bros. under Zack 'DotD / 300' Snyder - how can this sublime work possibly be successfully translated to the screen in all of it's multi-faceted complexity, yadda yadda yadda? Hurm.

Such doubts aside, if the movie IS gonna happen, then I want the best for it... which is the reason I'm here. I know that what I'm about to lay on ya has been suggested round these here parts before in the existing WATCHMEN casting threads, but never before in its own stand-alone thread, in order to bring it to the attention of the masses and to enlist the active assistance of your good selves.

My proposal is simply this:

Hey, Warner Bros. -

He's the right age, right height (5' 06), has got the right look (unconventional, not typically Hollywood pretty boy), and jeez... can he DO intense and creepy! :

Cast DOUG HUTCHISON as RORSCHACH in your WATCHMEN movie!

With a varied body of work behind him, on stage and screen (he's more than proved his acting chops), the guy who gave us The X Files's fearfully flexible flesh-eater Eugene Tooms, and The Green Mile's slimily sadistic guard Percy (smooshes Mr Jingles, remember? SONOFA*****!) is THE ideal choice to portray everybody's favourite personality disordered, finger snappin' vigilante loon Walter Kovacs, aka Rorschach.

Need convincin'? Check him out in these shots; it's the comic come to life!:

DOUGFACE2.jpg

NO! MY FACE! GIVE IT BACK!

DOUGSCACH.jpg

C'MON WALTER... DO IT FOR ME , HUH?

Doug.jpg

YOU KEEP CALLING ME WALTER. I DON'T LIKE YOU.

DOIT.jpg

WELL? WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? DO IT. DO IT!

So convinced am I of this, I've commenced a proactive campaign of support for Mr H in this fanboytastic role (generally, I've been pestering anybody and everybody I can think of that has a part to play in bringing WATCHMEN to the screen!) I've been on to The Man himself via his own official site, and have received this response in my inbox:

Dear *********

Thank you (and others) for your enthusiasm regarding Doug's involvement as Rorschach in THE WATCHMEN movie (o:

Presently, Doug is reading the script and his agents are investigating. The project is still in its infancy as there doesn't seem to be a Casting Director attached, yet, nor casting sessions available. In the meantime, if you and other fans would like to start a DOUG HUTCHISON AS RORSCHACH campaign of sorts and deluge Zach Snyder and Prods at WB with e-mails and such, I'm confident it couldn't hurt Doug's chances to snag the role. If we could get a Worldwide fan base amped up about the idea, believe me: The Powers to Be at WB will listen!

Sincerely,

MC (Doug Hutchison's Personal Assistant)

Well - seems that Doug's interested enough to want to check out the existing script and get his agents on the case! I sincerely believe that he is THE right man for the job, such is his proven ability as represented by his body of work, coupled with his perfect physical characteristics to play the part of Walter Kovacs/Rorschach. This will be the defining role of his career, such is the controversial complexity of the character, Rorschach being simply one of the best studies in sociopathy and most affecting commentaries on the human condition ever to see print in any medium, comics or otherwise.

Rather than being just another wish list casting suggestion, seems there's a chance (albeit in it's infancy) that this one might go on to become a reality - it helps when the object of the support has shown an interest in the project himself!

So, whaddaya say folks? Wanna join the cause and see if, just this once, the fans can make their voice heard and make a difference...?

If so, then I would ask that you join me in doing what Doug's own PA suggests, and start deluging the film makers at Warner Bros. with our support for Mr H in this role. I've invaded just about every comics/movie board going with this in order to whip up word of mouth, and am in the process of getting hold of some influential email addies, so that some strategic messages can be delivered right to the very heart of the WATCHMEN movie making/casting/producing/directing process - watch this space for details!

I Leave It Entirely In Your Hands...

I sincerely thank you for having given up your time to read this post.
NEVER COMPROMISE.

I have the following to say. If I ever need someone to support me in my pursuit of ANYTHING, I'm going to be contacting you! I think you could actually make a difference!

As for me, I remember buying Watchmen (which I thought was called "Who watches the Watchmen") at the local comic shop in Hawaii when I was stationed there in the 1980s. I was stunned by it. Until then, I had read comics good and bad, but never had I seen anything, I don't know, as intelligent as this.

In light of the massive internet buzz this past week on account of Zack Snyder setting out his plans for his WATCHMEN movie, I thought it was about time that I gave this thread a well needed shot in the arm!

C'mon, we are after all talkin' about potentially one of the biggest comic book movies EVER; certainly the most eagerly anticipated!

For those who missed it (shame on you!), catch what’s probably the best coverage of what Mr Snyder had to say for himself over at IESB.net:

http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_d4j_ezine&task=read&page=1&category=1&article=1883&Itemid=28

...where you'll see that he's now seriously turning his attention to his casting choices. Legions of fans worldwide wait with baited breath for the official announcements, but if YOU want to do your bit, then NOW really is the time to add your voice.

I still maintain that actor Doug Hutchison remains THE best choice to portray what will be the crucial, pivotal role of Kovacs... Rorschach himself. Many, many others feel the same way and have already shown their support by contributing to numerous fan boards across teh interweb... but there really isn't such a thing as too much support and I urge you to show yours!

I can assure you that Doug still very much wants this part, and it remains my firm belief that he will do the role proud by delivering a truly powerhouse performance of the type that we would all want to see for Rorschach on screen; simply put, nothing less will do, period.

What you're seeing at this board is part of a concerted campaign to snag Doug this part by bringing him to the attention of the movie makers along with a swell of online support behind him, so he gets the opportunity to ply his craft at an audition and have a shot at the title. His people in sunny LA are taking care of the studio contacts and casting director side of the operation at the heart of Hollywoodland; I'm covering the WWW from my lil' overworked PC!

Feel the same way? Wanna be part of something where the fans might at long last get a say? Hit 'Reply' and go for it...

DOUG HUTCHISON IS RORSCHACH.

People must be told.

neVeR COMPROMISe

Hurm. My continued sincere thanks for your time and support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"