• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Facts about Viruses

guitarsingerguy said:
I just bought an ibook for school use. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I don't know if it'll convert me to macs completely, but it definitely has its place in my household.

Cool! You know where to find me and Scarlet_spidey if you have Mac questions, man.

jag

jaguarr said:
Cool! You know where to find me and Scarlet_spidey if you have Mac questions, man.

jag

Alright, you asked for it. :p Dumb new MAC user question #1 - My ibook shuts itself off after a period of time with no use. Where can I change or extend this time period? I've found where the sleep function is, but nothing to do with the laptop turning itself off. Also, do you know anywhere that I can find a REALLY extensive list of Apple key shortcut commands? That's all for now. Thanks.

I personally run the paid version of Kerio Personal Firewall and the free version of AVG (Anti-virus). I them set to auto update and run them daily at like 5am. Those constantly run in the background. *Kerio does offer a free version of their firewall.

*If you run a router, many contain firewalls - just make sure yours is configured properly.

I also have Ad-Aware (freeware), and Spy Sweeper for all those little, nasty, spyware programs that try and sneak onto your system. They can slow you down to a smails pace! All of a sudden that nice new PC runs like a cripple - you know. lol *One more freeware program is Spybot - just note this is not for the casual user, you can delete some important files using that, so be cautious.

Ewido Security Suite is the last thing I keep on hand. It is wonderful and designed for:
Hijackers and Spyware
Worms
Dialers
Trojans and Keyloggers
*Ewido will allow you to run a free scan here, you may be very surprised at what you find living on your system!
Code:
http://www.ewido.net/en/

Ewido and the spyware programs I run on an intermittant basis, or if I notice a change in performance.

When it comes to spyware, it is a good idea to have more than one tool on hand in case the first program does not get your "bugs". No single program can find and eradicate all spyware.

There are a number of groups who will rate these programs for you - cnet being one of the better known. But read about them and pick the one that works for you and the one that you feel comfortable with...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All these things are very important esp if you go to some of the more notorius sites.

*** One more thing, your choice of web browsers will influence the number of spyware programs and vulnerabilities you are exposed to....
Internet Explorer is one of the riskiest to use - because they are the biggest target and peeps find their biggest pool of victims there. Also, since it comes on most PCs - the less tech savvy will automatically use it...
Firefox is butter, but does seem to be getting more attention lately from people wanting to cause problems.
Opera (just recently free) is probably your safest bet today. You have a good concentration of knowledgeable people working together to make it one of the best out there. I have been using Opera for the past 2 years, but do have all three on my system for specific applications. :p

oh great thread Malice. (you're to good to us) ;)

heres a question. i know i have viruses, spyware etc. Yeah, I have alot of really good free antivirus programs, but it doesnt seem to be doing the trick, which is causing a REALLY annoying warning bubble to pop up from my taskbar saying "Windows has detected spyware infection."

Now, its quite obvious that I already know this, but my computer cant know that I do, it just thinks i'm an ignorant prat. How can I stop this bubble from popping up while I save up some spare change to purchase an effective ad/spyware program? Now, I'm an animation major, and this damn bubble is making it really frustrating to work on my graduate portfolio pieces. :(

Any help would be kind.

I'v scanned my computer with Norton AntiVirus and Im infected, but I cant seem to do anything about it. When I click on any of the repair wizard options it doesnt do anything at all.
Could someone explain why this is?

@ Malice

in your honest opinion how well is my computer protected?

I use the latest Zone Alarm Free edition with both Avast and AVG running at the same time both having of course the latest virus definition. I also use Firefox 1.5 with no script extention as my main browser.

how would you compare Clam to AVAST or AVG? Is Clam better?

Thanks!!!!

oh! I almost forgot.....I also run adware and spywareblaster time to time.

WeaponZ2 said:
I'v scanned my computer with Norton AntiVirus and Im infected, but I cant seem to do anything about it. When I click on any of the repair wizard options it doesnt do anything at all.
Could someone explain why this is?

^^^^^ Anyone? ^^^^^

AVG Anti-Virus is the best. It doesn't crash your system and runs quietly in the background. It also detects viruses the commercial software misses.

WeaponZ2 said:
^^^^^ Anyone? ^^^^^
I'm no expert, but I suggest you de-install that piece of schist (a metamorphic rock :o ) and download AVG AntiVirus.

I've never had a problem on my computer with Norton, but I just got done working on a computer that had the trojan.vundo and Norton kept picking it up, but would let me delete it, so I downloaded the two utilities that said would get rid of it and when I ran them they couldn't find any trace of Vundo, but Norton kept picking it up, so I uninstalled Norton ran SpySweeper and it pulled them out and let me delete them. I then downloaded Avast Antivirus and all is good.

Why do we have viruses anyway?

I downloaded something off Rapidshare and I'm just wondering if I'll ever notice a virus if there was one.

Meh, this sucks. I hate being all worried and crap.

webhead731 said:
Why do we have viruses anyway?

I downloaded something off Rapidshare and I'm just wondering if I'll ever notice a virus if there was one.

Meh, this sucks. I hate being all worried and crap.

Because there are these little prick corksuckers out there who thinks it's funny to try and destroy another persons property with their little viruses. If they would take a shower go outside and get some sun and at least buy a hooker they wouldn't be sitting behind there computer for 23 1/2 hours a day writing all kinds of vicious little bugs. There are scum and should be thrown in jail to get anally raped by a big huge 400 pound transexual with a 18 inch dick.

lol.

That's what I thought.:)

Okay, maybe not.:p

Sounds like this has helped a few people...glad it helped...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"