• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Arrow Ferris Air: Green Lantern coming to Starling City?

Nave 'Torment'

Vigilante Detective
Reaction score
According to the long-speculated rumour that The Arrow will involve more than just c-list DC characters, and that the breaker of such a tradition would be none other than the other Emerald Knight in the DC pantheon: Ollie's own buddy from the Bronze Age, Hal Jordan himself.

The speculation about a crossover goes back to the origin of the show when we heard how one of the writers and pushers behind the 2011 adaptation of GL, Greg Berlenti, was the show-developer on The Arrow. Recently, executive producer of The Arrow and also co-writer with Berlenti on the 2011 adaptation, told TV Guide that they are indeed plans on bringing GL to Starling City:

"If all goes according to plan, when you see the Ferris Air logo later in the season, it will be the same logo that we established in the movie. I like tips of the hat."

"As with all DC characters, we have to figure out a way for those characters to fit within our Arrow universe," he continues. "But when you consider the importance that Hal Jordan plays in the Green Arrow comics, it's certainly one of those names that we've discussed a great deal. I have Ryan Reynolds' phone number around here somewhere."

Source: http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/176751-might-green-lantern-appear-on-arrow

So what do you guys think? Ryan Reynolds isn't exactly a terrible actor and given the right script could do justice to the role. I'm not a big fan of the idea that we'll be looking into a full-fledged JLA film that copies off Marvel Studios' approach and rushes into a crossover film... the DC characters are much more unique than that and can exist well on their own without needing that sort of hype. For now I am content with trilogies like The Dark Knight and the upcoming Man of Steel film, which is all very promising and seems to shine when they are stand-alone.

Y'know, like the characters originally were when they were created in the comics. They never came from the same writer like Stan Lee did for Marvel Comics, they never had Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko all working on a consciously cohesive universe when they were first created. Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman all originate from a different sort of imagination and they have their own rich genres that makes them unique on their own. When translating them on the big screen where 50+ years of stories are adapted, what is important is to focus on what makes these characters unique, and a lot of it has to do with that starting point: that strand of imagination, either from detective fiction, science fiction, or mythology, and they all exist in such a way that one doesn't necessarily blend with the other.

In terms of writing they refer to it as "internal logic" where the established universe/rationale of the world shouldn't be thrown away the minute something becomes too difficult to tackle. So for a noir-character like Batman, whose superheroism is embodied by the fact that he is larger-than-life because he is ordinary and yet still extraordinary because he knows how to use "theatricality and deception" to create an urban-legend out of his own actions, putting him next to a character like Wonder Woman who originates from high-mythology simply robs both worlds of their respective uniquenesses.

This was never the case with Marvel Comics which Stan and co. were adamant on making Science-Fantasy based. But that isn't the case with the DC pantheon, and I for one love the fact that each character in the DC pantheon comes from a different literary genre and builds on it and has its own sort of comic-book superhero-interpretation of it. To me that is unique.

Coming back to The Arrow, now obviously every interpretation that we've seen on the show so far has been grounded on the outlook of the show (what I hold to be the ideal "genre" for Green Arrow, the character, is a different matter entirely), so introducing someone like GL would really shake things up. How would Ollie react to a space-cop with a power-ring that can do anything someone wills? Aliens and what not. It'll definitely be a game-changer. What are your thoughts on it? Do you even want Reynolds back in the role at all?

I don't think Green Lantern would work on a TV budget, so I don't think Green Lantern will show up.

This is also being discussed in the General Discussion thread. And as I mentioned in that thread, Guggenheim made no mention of Green Lantern; just Hal Jordan. While at first they may be similar, they are not the same.

That would be great and if they make the GL film part of the DCCU then Green Arrow is a potential JLA member.

It's a good chance to redeem from the mediocre GL movie and do the character justice, i wouldn't mind even a season with Jordan and Ollie working together. And with Roy Harper being on the show issue 85 comes to mind.

I think using that bronze age storyline would make things a lot more potent, but it's obvious we'll be getting an interpretation of it on TV and not the whole thing.

This is also being discussed in the General Discussion thread. And as I mentioned in that thread, Guggenheim made no mention of Green Lantern; just Hal Jordan. While at first they may be similar, they are not the same.

Exactly, for all we know it could just be Hal dropping by or something, and that'd be terrible since it'd essentially be a wasted hint to fans. I'm sure they'll have no trouble getting the Gossip Girl onboard either.

As for budgeting, even if they do go with how GL looked like in the movie, it's still pretty cheap relatively speaking; just CGI. I hope they try to do something better than that though if they bring the GL cast in this.

If its Hal without his GL costume, that'd work too to some degree if the script is written well.

My take is that Hal will show (don't know if it will be Ryan Reynolds or not) not GL, but Hal will be wearing his GL ring. We probably won't see any constructs but they probably will mention them.

If I remember correctly wasn't there an article from the Producers saying something about their show being non superpowered but the rest of the DCU does exist. I thought I read that somewhere. So meaning that Superman, Flash, Green Lantern and all the other superpowered heroes can still be around.

I don't mind Hal showing up, even if it is played by Ryan Reynolds. However, I definitely do not want Green Lantern. The charm and beauty of this TV show is that it's is non-supernatural world. A non GL Hal Jordan might be cool. Bruce Wayne will be awesome. Some Batman villains can work too.
However, I don't really want to see magic and supernatural stuff. I like it the way it is now.

My take is that Hal will show (don't know if it will be Ryan Reynolds or not) not GL, but Hal will be wearing his GL ring. We probably won't see any constructs but they probably will mention them.

If I remember correctly wasn't there an article from the Producers saying something about their show being non superpowered but the rest of the DCU does exist. I thought I read that somewhere. So meaning that Superman, Flash, Green Lantern and all the other superpowered heroes can still be around.

I'm not sure, I mean in some ways, their comments are very big contradictions to one another. They say that there aren't super powered individuals in this world and yet they say that the DC Universe is still out there.

The on the other hand, they can't show or use terms like Ra's Al Ghul or anything from the Batman and Superman universe but it's obvious that they want to in the same time.

I pray that its Green Lantern. It would redeem from the movie so bad. Even though I don't hate the movie.

I don't mind Hal showing up, even if it is played by Ryan Reynolds. However, I definitely do not want Green Lantern. The charm and beauty of this TV show is that it's is non-supernatural world. A non GL Hal Jordan might be cool. Bruce Wayne will be awesome. Some Batman villains can work too.
However, I don't really want to see magic and supernatural stuff. I like it the way it is now.

I agree with you, I think once this show starts introducing superpowers on this show this show will jump the shark.

Herolee10, I know what you're talking about, I know that they wanted to mention Ra's but because of the Batman films. (which I don't understand why that is still intact) but I honestly have no problem with maybe in a later season (that's if the 5 year plan is still in play) they talk about the outside DCU and mention the superpowered heroes and that might get Oliver talking about joining a league to prevent them.
That's just my idea

it doesn't need to spew out into that superpowerd world . that's what i love about DC is that it can be self-contained and still seem bad-ass.

not trying to start a marvel-vs-dc here at all but yeah. If they do add in GL it needs to be careful

If you think Ryan Reynolds will seriously consider doing a guest spot on a TV show on fifth rate network like the CW, you're crazy.

The whole adherence to realism is just putting me off so much, DC really needs to take notes from Marvel on adapting properties into live action.

The whole adherence to realism is just putting me off so much, DC really needs to take notes from Marvel on adapting properties into live action.

In your opinion.

Not trying to get at you at all, but you've made your stance pretty clear. And theres 3 posters in here who made theirs pretty clear which is that they like the gritty, grounded realistic approach and think introducing powers will harm the show.

Arrow is way popular than I can remember ANY marvel live action television show ever being. And the Batman movies without powers were at least as big if not bigger than all the Marvels.

I get that you prefer it but it's only your opinion. Doesn't mean they are doing it wrong. Maybe this isn't the right show for you, I personally love the way it is.

Arrow is way popular than I can remember ANY marvel live action television show ever being.
Yeah, all those live-action Marvel series like The Incredible Hulk, The Incredible Hulk and, uh, The Incredible Hulk... Oh, and Blade.

The Incredible Hulk was more popular than Arrow, BTW.

If you think Ryan Reynolds will seriously consider doing a guest spot on a TV show on fifth rate network like the CW, you're crazy.

Yep, while it would be awesome, it'll never happen.

Yeah, all those live-action Marvel series like The Incredible Hulk, The Incredible Hulk and, uh, The Incredible Hulk... Oh, and Blade.

The Incredible Hulk was more popular than Arrow, BTW.

I don't believe any of them aired in the UK. Perhaps Blade on Sci-Fi or Bravo or another little known network. If Incredible Hulk aired over here it wasn't more popular than Arrow.

I was also talking more generally, including the films. Though chances are pretty good that Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. will be a winner.

Originally Posted by S. Grundy

:funny::funny:

Forget about Ryan Reynolds people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"