• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Firmware 1.90 Update

Havok83

Avenger
Reaction score
The 1.90 Firmware update just hit Japanese PS3s. Let's dive in and see what the update entails:

• Ability to rearrange games on the XMB
• Option menu now includes "eject disk"
• Press triangle to eject games/CDs/movies in the XMB
• XMB backgrounds
• Change the folder classification
• Emoticons
• Change CD output to 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz
• Force 24Hz output for Blu-ray over HDMI
• Change PS3 video settings in-game
• "Bit Mapping" in the "Music Setting"
• Save AVCHD type animations from a Memory Stick
• Change settings like upscaling while playing PS and PS2 games
• Add bookmarks
• Web browser security function in the browser's tool section
• Avatar moves during audio visual chat

http://kotaku.com/gaming/making-things-better/190-ps3-firmware-update-hits-japan-281191.php

Sounds cool! How long would that take to upload?

I really need broadband so I can get bummed on all the games I think I'm good at by you guys!

What I like:

I really like that we can soon rearrange games in the XMB. Id rather have it alphabetized instead of order of download

Ability to eject with the controller. You can do it with the BR remote and I like that feature bc I dont like the eject button on the PS3. I dont like to touch my PS3 at all so being able to turn it on/off and eject with controller is a good thing

Changining the XMB background. I was wondering if there was a way to do this bc while I like the XMB, it is a bit plain. Glad this will be implemented

Ability to change video settings of PS3/PS1/PS2 games while in game. Now I can see the difference between upscaling or not and decide which looks better without having to quit and start over.

All good stuff but Sony needs to make the XMB funcional within games. I dont like to quit just to get to it

It's coming "in the next few days" for the US.

http://www.n4g.com/ClickOut.aspx?ObjID=53987

A quick update: we have a new firmware upgrade in the works for PS3, it will be available for download in the next few days. Firmware 1.90 brings with it several new features, many of which readers of this blog have requested – I’m happy to report.

Customization is one new feature: you can now personalize the wallpaper on your XMB with a photo. This was one of the top three requests we received via the blog’s contact form. When viewing a photo, simply bring up the options screen by pressing the triangle button and selecting “set as wallpaper” from the options displayed. Additionally, you can now change the order of the games displayed under the game icon on the XMB.

Another new feature focuses on added communication elements: When you’re sending messages to friends on PLAYSTATION Network, you can now use emoticons. We’ve added a bunch of emoticons that can be easily accessed from the virtual keyboard. Also, another cool addition is, when an avatar is displayed during voice/video chat, the avatar will move in response to audio.

Finally, on the more technical side, you can now play AVCHD videos saved on a Memory Stick or digital video camera, and we’ve added the ability to upscale audio CD output from your PS3. Now, there are two requirements for this feature: the device you’re outputting to must support a sampling frequency of 88.2 kHz or 176.4 kHz, and your PS3 must be connected to that device with an HDMI cable or digital optical cable.

Oh, and one more thing: you can now eject discs using your controller by selecting “Eject Disc” in the options menu after you push the PS button.

Several other minor options will be included in 1.90 including a few new display options that will allow you to adjust your display while playing PlayStation, PlayStation2 and Blu-ray movies. More info on these options as well as detailed info on the rest of the 1.90 additions will be available later this week. We’ll update this post with a link to that info when it’s available.

We’re working on additional features for our next update that will incorporate more of your feedback, so as always thanks for all of your support, and please keep those suggestions coming!

Bah! No in game music for this update!

I think it is coming in the 2.0 update. I'm thinkin around the holidays. Plus, they need developers to add the option in their software.

Nice, custom background.:yay:

• Option menu now includes "eject disk"
• Press triangle to eject games/CDs/movies in the XMB
Why eject the disc from the controller, we have to get up anyway to remove the disk.:dry:

Nice, custom background.:yay:

Why eject the disc from the controller, we have to get up anyway to remove the disk.:dry:
I dont like the button (or whatever you want to call it) on the PS3 and I dont like to touch the system...lol. Dont want my fingerprints on the chrome

I'm sort of indifferent about the background option, one thing I hope they allow you to do is have the visual graphic overlayed on top of yourcustom picture if you so choose. They need to do that with the PSP as well.

1.90 is available now! I'm downloading it. I'm sleepy.

I installed it but haven't put a background on yet

In-Game XMB Overlay Coming In The Next Update
Posted on July 25th, 2007 at 07:32 EDT
It seems that Sony is always listening to us, and that their "we are listening to the consumers and we care for them" is a true sentence indeed, spoken by Ericl Lempel. Today, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. confirmed that an In-Game XMB Overlay is coming in the Next Major Update (you all know what I'm getting at). Yes everyone, you heard it at PSU first. In-Game XMB Overlay will be in the next update, but we don't know to what extent.

In a rather exhausting and relieving way, Ericl Lempel said, "Also, I noticed a lot of your comments were directly related to accessing XMB features in-game. We understand this is something you want and we are working on it. For the sake of keeping all the comments below on topic, please understand that we hear this request and are working toward a solution. When I have some more info to share on this, know that I will do so here on this blog."

The response came shortly after a user named "DarkKing" Spammed about 255 topics all consisting of a repetition of the following from top to bottom:

"WE WANT IN-GAME XMB AND CUSTOM SOUNDTRACKS SONY YOU SAID YOU CARED
WE WANT IN-GAME XMB AND CUSTOM SOUNDTRACKS SONY YOU SAID YOU CARED
WE WANT IN-GAME XMB AND CUSTOM SOUNDTRACKS SONY YOU SAID YOU CARED" (These have since been removed).

Looks like Sony promised, and they have half-way delivered with Wallpapers. Coming next major update, PlayStation 3 owners will glee with happiness everyday when they can finally access their Foo Fighters / Children of Bodom albums in Motorstorm. I sure as heck know, I will.

http://www.n4g.com/ClickOut.aspx?ObjID=54451

I thought the ability to change the video settings while watching something would help me notice a difference, but I'm still at a loss. I really hope I'm taking advantage of the DVD upscaling, because I don't see it. :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"