Gaming in the recession - video game bargains thread

Timstuff

Avenger
Reaction score
Here's a thread where you can share the latest and greatest in video game sales and bargains with your fellow hypsters. This isn't an eBay links thread so don't bother posting those here. If it's a sale, price drop, bargain bin find or whatever, then this is the thread to post it in.

I'll start us off with this week's big sale: this week, Toys R Us is having their "buy two and the third is free" sale. The sale is valid on all games (with a similar sale for accessories), and if the games aren't the same price then the cheapest one is free. There are a variety of ways that you can take advantage of this sale beyond just getting 3 games for $120, and I'll share with you the one I used since I didn't want to spend more than $90.

Go to Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy or any of those big box game retailers that allow exchanges on unopened merchandise without a receipt. See what games they are offering for $30 and take note, because you can only exchange games with no receipt if they're in the store's data system. Afterwards, go to Toys R Us and pick a $60 game you want, plus two $30 games that you can also find at one of the aforementioned big box stores. Keep the $60 game, and then bring in the 2 $30 games to a big box store and exchange them for in-store credit. Now you'll have a $60 gift card that you're free to use on any in-store merchandise you want, so by doing this you can essentially get any two $60 games for $45 each and save yourself $30. I took advantage of this and picked up Batman: Arkham Asylum and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 today, and now I am happy. :up:

If you're going to do this, just make sure to take note of what kind of price differences there are between the other stores and Toys R Us. After all, you don't want to accidentally pick a game that's worth $30 at Toys R Us and then then only get $20 credit for it at Target! This little strategy also works fine if you want to buy 3 $60 games at Toys R Us but they don't have the ones you want. Just pick whatever new $60 games are available, and exchange them at another store for $180 of in-store credit.

Yes, very cute. It can almost as easily be the "buy one, whichever second game you want is $30 off" sale, or the "Spend $120 and get a $60 gift card at your store of choice" sale as it can be buy two get one free. :D

Last edited:
Best Buy's are lowering their prices on gaming accessories like controllers, and headsets - lower than Wal-Mart [as far as I know]. I'm not sure if it's nationwide or not, but I'd say go check.

Foe me, the best bet has been to wait for price drops. I've only bought a handful of games at full price: Halo 3, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, GTA 4 and Riddick. The rest have either been when they're 30 bucks or used. The best deal was when I bought Condemned 2 for 10 bucks new at Target.

Riddick: ADA was on clearance for $20 a while ago at Target, but unfortunately I missed my chance on it. I do agree though, price drops are the way to go for the most part if you have the patience. For me, the last game I bought prior to today was Bioshock back in September, and during most of the summer I didn't buy much of anything (though to be honest I did mooch off of my brother's collection a bit while I was at home). As a general rule of thumb though, if you want to game on a budget you should wait for sales and price drops. Speaking for myself, there are still plenty of AAA games I need to catch up on that will probably be having a price cut any week now.

And with those 5 I bought at full price, I've only beaten one (GTA 4), currently playing another (Riddick), and last played 2 years ago but haven't beaten (Halo 3).

There's still some more I want to play but I'll wait till I've beaten some of my other games first. I got about 20 to go through, plus 12 on Live Arcade.

Old Navy is having an offer where if you buy $20 worth of merch there tomorrow, you get Lego Rock Band for free. The store opens at 3:00 AM so if you want to take advantage of it, you'd better consider staying up late tonight. Since you can export the songs, it's like getting 50 Rock Band songs for free just for buying $20 in clothes.

If anyone else has any Black Friday deals they want to share, please post them!

That's not a half bad deal, but I didn't even know Old Navy carried games

Me neither. They might not even sell games normally, but they're giving away LRB specifically for this promotion.

We don't carry video games at Old Navy, we just have Rock Band t-shirts for sale, they'll also have Rock Band set up in the stores, it's all part of the sale.

Well, that's cool, but just kind of strange. Might check it out, since Lego Rock Band has the Ghostbusters theme :awesome:

The Ghost Busters theme and "We Will Rock You" are more than enough to get my butt out the door at 2:00 AM. :awesome:

This might not be what the topic starter was looking for, but I picked up From the Abyss for my DS ($15). For a stoopid button masher, I can't seem to put it down.

Even if it's just an overlooked game that you can find in a bargain bin, it's probably worth posting in this thread. This is about getting bang for your buck, and if you think your suggestion meets that criteria, feel free to post it! :)

I came back from Old Navy empty handed. Apparently, only people who were in line early enough to get special bracelets were able to get the game, so that excluded me. Suddenly, I'm reminded of why I almost never go chasing after Black Friday deals! :dry:

http://www.amazon.com/b/?node=409566&ref=vg_bft&ref_=pe_65840_13681920

Okay, from now until the 30th Amazon will be have Black Friday deal for video games. Right now there's nothing up, but how it works is that every couple of hours (the listing have timers at the bottom) a new item and deal with be relieved. Not sure what they all are, but from the hints, it looks like Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, Tekken 6, and Scribblenauts will be among them. Amazon usually has some great deals, last night they had a few sales that ranged from $20-40 off, so keep on the lookout

Sounds like TMNT Smash Up might be on sale, for Turtles fans I suggest picking it up if you have the Wii, it's not as great Smash Brothers Brawl, but it's a fun alternative. :up:

Street Fighter IV for $19.98, and Scriblenauts for $16.99. Pretty good.

Yeah, some pretty good deals have come and went. They had Left 4 Dead up there twice (once for 360 and once for PC) earlier at nearly half off and they sold out ridiculously fast. Too bad most of the gaming deals haven't really applied to me

Last edited:
I saw Target has Resistance 2 for like 20 dollars or something in the recent Sunday flyer.

I've been using CheapAssGamer.com for a year now to get deals. But I think I spent more on games this year than I have any other year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"