Gregor Clegane aka The Mountain

Kirmit

Big Green Machine.
Reaction score
Who was your favourite portrayal of the character?

First season - Conan Stevens
Second season - Ian whyte
Fourth season - Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson

Personally Conan Stevens was my favourite, he looked huge, justifying the name 'The Mountain', he actually looked like he could be The Hound's brother and he looked like a seasoned warrior, he was a beast and I wish we'd gotten to see more of him.

Appearance-wise, Conan Stevens. However I really did like Haph...uh...Bjoer.. the season 4 guy in that aspect as well and he did deliver on the 'Mountain' aspect of his build. He looks a lot younger than Sandor though which is a bit of a detriment.

Come to think of it, how good a fighter is the Mountain, really? Based on what we've seen on the show. We've seen him bested by Loras Tyrell, we know the Hound can at least hold his own against him, and the Red Viper would have won their battle if he hadn't been so intent in extracting a confession. Presumably Jaime Lannister in his prime and Barristan Selmy could dispatch him fairly efficiently.

We know for sure that he's good at killing babies, defenceless women, unarmed horses and emaciated slaves. Other than that, isn't he just a big slow target with a fearsome reputation?

Loras never bested him. I assume you are talking about the Tourney of the hand, yes? Because Loras “cheated” to defeat Gregor. Anyway, Gregor is probably one the foremost knights in Westeros at the time of his death. He is easily one of the top ten.

Conan Stevens was the best hound for me. Stevens looked intimidating while the other two didn't.

Conan Stevens had the best look and was the most believable with the age range he's meant to be, but season 4 Mountain was given the most to do, whereas the first two were mainly cameos.

Funny trivia note: Season 4 Mountain and the kid playing Jojen Reed are only one year apart in age in real life

Come to think of it, how good a fighter is the Mountain, really? Based on what we've seen on the show. We've seen him bested by Loras Tyrell, we know the Hound can at least hold his own against him, and the Red Viper would have won their battle if he hadn't been so intent in extracting a confession. Presumably Jaime Lannister in his prime and Barristan Selmy could dispatch him fairly efficiently.

We know for sure that he's good at killing babies, defenceless women, unarmed horses and emaciated slaves. Other than that, isn't he just a big slow target with a fearsome reputation?
The Loras one doesn't count lol.

But from the show alone all claims that he was no.1 can safely be put to bed now after he got totally dominated by Oberyn. I'd have liked to see Oberyn go up against a great swordsman for the difference in styles.

Also like you say The Hound was able to hold of an enraged Mountain without being aggressive himself. And The Hound got beaten by Brienne not only in a fair fight but a surprise dirty fight and she's probably never fought dirty before.

I really just see the Mountain as dumb muscle. The show failed to convey any sort of real skill from the character.

I did find it odd that Cersei actually cared enough about him to ask how he was doing. Granted, she presumably just wants to keep using him as a henchman, but it still seemed odd that she cared at all.

The Hound is dumb muscle that is both exceedingly strong and fast for that size. But a smarter fighter of greater skill seems to get the best of him with the Hound and Red Viper. Then again, a smarter fighter would have taken the victory and not allowed his opponent to recoup while lying flat on his back for a whole minute.

In the books we mostly get second hand accounts of The Mountain's battlefield abilities, which is his main attraction.

In the books we mostly get second hand accounts of The Mountain's battlefield abilities, which is his main attraction.

True enough, but one of the dominant themes of the saga is that tales are just tales, and that history is written by the victors. Think of how the audience's perception of "Robert's Rebellion" changes over time as more information is revealed.

Also like you say The Hound was able to hold of an enraged Mountain without being aggressive himself. And The Hound got beaten by Brienne not only in a fair fight but a surprise dirty fight and she's probably never fought dirty before.

I'm sure the feminists in the GOT audience would have loved to see Brienne school the Mountain. :woot:

Last edited:
Conan Stevens had the best look and was the most believable with the age range he's meant to be, but season 4 Mountain was given the most to do, whereas the first two were mainly cameos.

Funny trivia note: Season 4 Mountain and the kid playing Jojen Reed are only one year apart in age in real life

That kinda blew my mind, a little. Most because I can't believe the kid playing Jojen is over the age of 20.

The Hound is dumb muscle that is both exceedingly strong and fast for that size. But a smarter fighter of greater skill seems to get the best of him with the Hound and Red Viper. Then again, a smarter fighter would have taken the victory and not allowed his opponent to recoup while lying flat on his back for a whole minute.

Despite his concern in his last scene of the season, I think Bronn would have beaten him more times than not. He certainly wouldn't have hesitated like Oberyn did. But he didn't want to take the risk because he knew if the Mountain was able to get one blow in he would win.

I dunno, I don't think Bronn would have been as agile and quick as Oberyn was. I mean, Oberyn seemed really, really agile and fast...and there were still moments where the Mountain managed to almost get on him.

That fight had me thinking about the importance of fighting styles and stances in this world. And sort of how bringing up different styles against one another could be important, even if the other one is a top of the class warrior. Clearly, different schools of thought can lead to different styles...like Syrio, or Oberyn's, or Daario's style as well when compared to something more traditional, for lack of a better word.

Just had me thinking that Oberyn's style of flipping around and being so quick, was the big reason why he dominated the Mountain.

Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson is my favourite. Hard to believe he's only 24 years old.

Agreed. The Mountain is a POS IMO!

I would have loved to have seen his own bro the Hound off him!

I dunno, I don't think Bronn would have been as agile and quick as Oberyn was. I mean, Oberyn seemed really, really agile and fast...and there were still moments where the Mountain managed to almost get on him.

That fight had me thinking about the importance of fighting styles and stances in this world. And sort of how bringing up different styles against one another could be important, even if the other one is a top of the class warrior. Clearly, different schools of thought can lead to different styles...like Syrio, or Oberyn's, or Daario's style as well when compared to something more traditional, for lack of a better word.

Just had me thinking that Oberyn's style of flipping around and being so quick, was the big reason why he dominated the Mountain.

Bronn didn't have the overall skills that Oberyn did. Bronn would have lost and he knew he would. Oberyn got reckless and should have killed the Mountain when he had the chance. He could have tried to find the information he was looking for later.

Silly....

The Mountain lost against the Knight of Flowers purely because of the mare (and it was stated that Loras is one of the finest swordmen in the kingdom).

The Hound vs The Mountain wasn't a proper match.

The Red Viper of Dorne was one of the finest fighters in the whole world.

PS. Brienne vs The Hound wasn't a fair fight. The Hound was mortally wounded by the infection. If it was a fair fight, The Hound would have bested and beasted ;)

Last edited:
f*** the three of them.

really though, i like the last one. he's gotten a lot of crap for not looking older than the hound, but the hound is supposed to look like crap so...

I'm not sure if you're familiar with what happened to Conan Stevens the first actor cast but it kinda sucks for him. He didn't come back for season 2 to join the Hobbit, however his part was actually replaced when Jackson decided to go full CGI with his character.

I think he may have burnt some bridges when he decided to not come back the first time and that's why they haven't asked him back.

Yeah, what I liked about Conan is that, from some of his blog posts, he was really going method for the Mountain, talking about how draining and absolutely sucky it was for such a large dude to suffer head-splitting migranes all the time. + He was really looking forward to the duel with Oberyn.

That being said, I did enjoy HafThor in the role. Only thing I would have done differently is have him scream in agonising pain during episode 10, instead of sleeping peacefully, like a princess.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with what happened to Conan Stevens the first actor cast but it kinda sucks for him. He didn't come back for season 2 to join the Hobbit, however his part was actually replaced when Jackson decided to go full CGI with his character.

I think he may have burnt some bridges when he decided to not come back the first time and that's why they haven't asked him back.

He got a sweet miniature figure out of the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"