House quietly gives 'bonuses' to top aides

Paradoxium

Making Your Head Explode
Reaction score
House quietly gives 'bonuses' to top aides
A month after they voted to punish some corporate executives for taking hefty bonus payouts, members of the House of Representatives quietly gave their own staffers a new potential bonus by making even their top-earning aides eligible for taxpayer dollars to repay their student loans.

The change, which took effect in May, means House employees earning up to $168,411, or the top level, are now eligible for government-funded subsidies to help pay down their student loans.
"We regard this benefit as a major job recruitment and retention tool," he said. "Even in a bad job market, we compete with the private sector for the kind of talented employees government work today demands."
Although widely used in the federal work force, the job-related perk of paying off an employee's college bills is rarely offered in the private sector, employment analysts say.
:funny: :lmao:

Nevermind every time an opening occurs they get hundreds of resume without having advertised it. 168k is a tough living wage.

Thank god we are in good economics time otherwise this would be outrageous huh :woot:

Man, I need glasses.
I read this as "House quietly gives blouses to top aides"
I pictured Dr. Gregory House giving out blouses in a discreet manner.

Back to the subject at hand.
Good call. We should always be giving out more money when we are broke. This is what everyone would do, right?
If my company runs out of money the first thing that comes to mind is to give raises to everyone.

I don't call a $10,000 a year benefit anything close to a 7-figure (i.e. $1 million) bonus. Get out of here.

Two things.

1. I am not out to justify these banks that got bailed out. Since I am pretty much against their bailout to begin with.

2. The government has no business giving out these subsidies and bonuses considering they are operating on a huge deficit as it is.

Hypocrisy...WHAT:eek:

dnno1 said:
I don't call a $10,000 a year benefit anything close to a 7-figure (i.e. $1 million) bonus. Get out of here.
Your taxes pay for that so you should care:o

Glad to see that they are cutting down spending like they promised:dry:

But to take away these bonuses, it would be unconstitutional. :wow:

$168,411 is a hard wage to get by you know.

They should go unpaid. As should the entire Congress, and the President, Vice President, etc.
Once we have a surplus we can talk about paying these guys.

Hypocrisy...WHAT:eek:

Your taxes pay for that so you should care:o

Glad to see that they are cutting down spending like they promised:dry:

Actually I think it's a good thing since these people are public servants and should be entitled to some type of benefit for the work they do for us. Like I am more concerned about a $1 million dollar bonus give to somebody who aided in the ruining of our economy than a a $10,000 a year benefit to a public servant especially when it is related to an educational loan. Lord knows how many times government backed student loans have been either deferred or forgiven for regular citizens who went to school and decided to work as a public servant or in an underprivileged or urban area. This is really a non-issue here.

I am more concerned at people who promotes these bailouts in the first place to create the moral hazards. People who say it is absolutely necessary to bailout, so they can sucker people into buying/holding the relevant equities and pull their rug from under them to cover their losses. People like this are some of the most repugnant people I know.

Last edited:
BTW keep in mind someone of the bonuses given out, the ones that got returned or taxed back, these said bonus in a number of circumstances were the entire salary that some of the employees were to get. Some were voluntarily working $1 to nothing for a number of months, until they produce something to get their payday. On top of which, some of these volunteers were not connected to pre-bailout company. Of course they got ragged on for political reasons and lost their money.

Yeah that was the last administration.

Like I give a **** which administration it was.

Actually I think it's a good thing since these people are public servants and should be entitled to some type of benefit for the work they do for us. Like I am more concerned about a $1 million dollar bonus give to somebody who aided in the ruining of our economy than a a $10,000 a year benefit to a public servant especially when it is related to an educational loan. Lord knows how many times government backed student loans have been either deferred or forgiven for regular citizens who went to school and decided to work as a public servant or in an underprivileged or urban area. This is really a non-issue here.
Are you talking about the White House or Wall Street? Because both ran this country into the ground with illogical choices.

It's okay to say that you like expanded government and that those in the government are heroes that deserve 200k a year because they only care about their constituents and doing the right thing for their people:whatever:cough:o

Both these bonuses and the bank bailouts are pretty hard to defend.

I am more concerned at people who promotes these bailouts in the first place to create the moral hazards. People who say it is absolutely necessary to bailout, so they can sucker people into buying/holding the relevant equities and pull their rug from under them to cover their losses. People like this are some of the most repugnant people I know.

Yeah, that was the last administration.

Will you cut it out with this partisan crap. Of course I know it was Bush's tenure. I spent months bashing him for it. But I also didn't see Obama opposing any of this crap, if nothing else cheering on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"