Hulk CGI company (Rythm & Hues) wins at Bafta!

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
http://www.4rfv.co.uk/industrynews.asp?id=71519

The award for Achievement in Special Effects went to The Golden Compass, for which Framestore CFC provided key digital VFX work.

The award was accepted on behalf of his team by nominee Ben Morris, Framestore CFC's VFX Supervisor on the project. Also accepting the award were fellow nominees Bill Westenhofer (Rhythm & Hues) and Trevor Wood (Special Effects Supervisor) - Michael Fink (VFX Supervisor), also nominated, was unable to attend. Ben Morris's 200-strong team created some 300 shots over a 15 month period. Said Morris after the ceremony, "We put together an incredible group of people for The Golden Compass. For many of us this was one of those 'must-do' projects - once word got out that we were doing it, artists flocked to get on board."

The Golden Compass, directed by Chris Weitz and produced by New Line Cinema, was this winter's big fantasy blockbuster. It's a thrilling adventure-ride of a film that follows a young girl's quest through a magical world of witches, travellers and daemons, from the academic cloisters of Oxford to the magical heart of the frozen roof of the world. Framestore CFC were delighted to provide the film with one of its heroes, the massive armoured polar bear, Iorek Byrnison, voiced by Ian McKellen. In addition, the Framestore CFC team, led by Morris, created Iorek's arch-foe, the wicked bear Ragnar, as well as a cast of supporting bears and the CG environments in which they live.

Framestore CFC has won three BAFTAs for its television work since 1999 but, despite frequent nominations for its movie work (including two nominations both last year and the previous year), this is the first time a company team has won a feature film BAFTA.

The highlight of the British film industry's year, the awards were hosted by Jonathan Ross and were attended by a who's who of film talent from the UK and around the world, including Sir Ian McKellen, Dame Judi Dench, Daniel Day Lewis, Sir Anthony Hopkins and Sir Ridley Scott. Also attending the ceremony from Framestore CFC were Fiona Walkinshaw (Director, VFX Production), Steve Norris (Managing Director, Film) and Andy Kind (CG Supervisor).

The BAFTA mask is regarded as the most coveted award among industry practitioners working in all art forms of the moving image. The Academy's Film Awards began in 1947 and have always been an international event. They continue to be presented annually to recognise, honour and reward individuals for outstanding achievement in feature and short films produced worldwide and released in UK cinemas.

This makes me even more confident. :)
(DS)

This does not change much for me given other CGI companies have also achieved many rewards. I withhold judgement until I see the final product.

Hi i am new here,

Bafta usually gives awards to movies that have a connection to UK.

Nice, I just finished reading The Golden Compass this morning. Can't wait to see the movie now!

Anybody know when the DVD comes out?

I never saw the movie either but the F/X looked sweet.

Some parts of the movie were great, the FX included, but the movie was just in so much of a rush, it never slowed down, so it made it hard to get to know the characters wereas in the book, everything is slower, add another 30 mins/45 mins to the movie and it would have been great.

Doesnt look like we will be getting The Subtle Knife though just under $330 million WW is the latest take.

Obi-Ron, the dvd currently has no release date in the UK.

Doesnt look like we will be getting The Subtle Knife though just under $330 million WW is the latest take.

With any luck the BAFTA hype will sell enough DVD's that a sequel is green lighted.

^It would have to make at least $200 million on DVD IMO, and i just cant see it happening, TF has broken DVD records left, right and centre, yet it has only made just under $280 million on DVD.

Well I'll pony up $20 but that's about it.

I'm gonna buy the extended edition if it comes out, not sure about the theatrical cut. The movie didnt get going until Iorek was introduced IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"