• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Hulk stories that will turn me into a real hulk fan!

antonydelfini

Strange Tales
Reaction score
I've always been interested in the character of Hulk, I've watched the TV show, read some of Peter David's last run on the series, prelude to Planet Hulk, and Pak's Planet Hulk as well. But still, I'm not sure if I fully understand the character yet.

I'm looking for TPB's or hardcovers that will instantly turn me into a Hulk fan. For instance, with regards to the character of Spider-man, I've always liked him, but not until I read Stan Lee-Ditko-Romita Essential Spider-man stories did I start to LOVE the character. The same for Daredevil, when I read Frank Miller's collections, I fell in love with the character. Or with Waid-Wieringo and Lee-Kirby stuff with the Fantastic Four, or Brubaker's current run on Cap and Iron Fist. These books made me an instant fan of the world of these characters.

So please, tell me some TPB and hardcover collections that will make me really understand and love the character of Hulk forever, and not just merely like or be interested in him. Point me in the right direction.

(please be specific in the titles and names of the collection)

try the peter david visionaries vol 1,or return of the monster!

try the peter david visionaries vol 1,or return of the monster!

Thanks man. I'd definitely try Return of the Monster, but isn't peter david visionaries vol. 1 more about grey hulk? Or am I wrong?

probably,but its peter david's hulk,its good,checkit out get to know the charcter and then read hulk the end,its a great story

I agree, those are all good selections. The thing to remember about the Hulk is that he's the yin to all the other heroes yang. They stand for protecting society/others from threats. The Hulk is for protecting the individual(namely himself, but not always) from society when they overstep their bounds and basically become kind of a collective supervillain. Hulk is the ultimate minority in other words.

Ok got it. So I'm gonna buy: Marvel Visionaries Peter David Vol. 1, Return of the Monster by Bruce Jones. And what else?

Are the essential hulk books any good? Well I know they are must have's for Hulk fans. But will these essential books capable of turning a newbie into a Hulk fan? If so, which volume has the best collections of stories (coz I'm only gunna buy one essential hulk volume for the meantime so it has to be the best volume)

get the early issues, Tales to Astonish.

Does anybody know if Future Imperfect is collected in TBP? I've been wanting to read that story forever.

get the early issues, Tales to Astonish.

Well I researched it a bit, and I found out that there are two books that collects the Tales to Astonish Hulk stories.

And they are:
Essential Incredible Hulk Vol. 1: HULK #1-6 and TALES TO ASTONISH #60-91.
Essential Incredible Hulk Vol. 2: Tales to Astonish #92-101 and Hulk 102-117

So which Essential collection has better and more quality stories?

Well I researched it a bit, and I found out that there are two books that collects the Tales to Astonish Hulk stories.

And they are:
Essential Incredible Hulk Vol. 1: HULK #1-6 and TALES TO ASTONISH #60-91.
Essential Incredible Hulk Vol. 2: Tales to Astonish #92-101 and Hulk 102-117

So which Essential collection has better and more quality stories?
they are all quality stuff, the first one (Vol 1) has stories that were all written by Stan Lee, so i would go for that first.

If you want to feel for the Big guy try TIH #202-208. Hulk falls through a microscopic universe and ends up on a green planet where Jarella lives one thing leads to another and him and Jarella end up back on Earth where she
is killed by The Crypto Man and he goes ape **** trying to find his friend Doctor Strange and ask him to use his magic and save Jarella. He can't and a new chapter in the Hulks life starts

If you want to feel for the Big guy try TIH #202-208. Hulk falls through a microscopic universe and ends up on a green planet where Jarella lives one thing leads to another and him and Jarella end up back on Earth where she
is killed by The Crypto Man and he goes ape **** trying to find his friend Doctor Strange and ask him to use his magic and save Jarella. He can't and a new chapter in the Hulks life starts

:(... Hulk has some s**t luck with the ladies...

just like what happened to him at the end of planet Hulk, she died and with all his strength, he couldnt save her :(, i love the bit with "Give her BACK!!" and he totally loses it.

:(... Hulk has some s**t luck with the ladies...

just like what happened to him at the end of planet Hulk, she died and with all his strength, he couldnt save her :(, i love the bit with "Give her BACK!!" and he totally loses it.

At least
with Jarella he didn't lose a kid as well.

Hey thanks guys. I just bought Essential Hulk Vol. 1 and 2, Return of the monster wasn't available. Here's to hoping the Essentials rock my ass off.

If you're lucky, maybe someday you'll find a copy of this 1978 gem:

fire14.jpg

It's a Essential-size digest with a lot of the TTA stories reprinted in color.
Plus the cover is my all-time favorite Hulk picture. :hulk:

I really enjoyed the Peter David run back in the 90's from issue around 350 to 400 or so. But then I was a youngster just getting into comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"