World I cannot stand this Jor-El and the trend he started

Gavan

Civilian
Reaction score
My one big beef with the Reeve films is Jor-El's inflated role in Superman's origin, making him a God figure to Superman's Jesus figure.

Jor-El sends Kal-El to Earth so that he could be Superman. But he shouldn't give a hoot about humans, he should just have his son's survival in mind. It just makes Jor-El look patronizing and arrogant. He also basically reprograms Clark in the Fortress for 12 years so that he would become Superman. That's a deed worthy of Brainiac.

It's also ridiculous to compare Superman to Jesus beyond the most generic things ("he saves", hurr). Superman can't "die for our sins", Jesus only resorts to physical force once, etc.

And the worst thing is the Kents are largely marginalized because Jor-El practically did all the work. Clark's main influence as Superman should be the Kents. Their Clark is overwritten by Jor-El. Pa is basically just there to die. I know both of them died in the Silver Age, but Clark shouldn't need to go through that to learn that he can't save everyone. He has super senses!

All of these are problems that were magnified in Man of Steel.

Last edited:
I think it's over the top to say that Jor-El reprogrammed or brainwashed Clark into becoming Superman.

My one big beef with the Reeve films is Jor-El's inflated role in Superman's origin, making him a God figure to Superman's Jesus figure.

Jor-El sends Kal-El to Earth so that he could be Superman. But he shouldn't give a hoot about humans, he should just have his son's survival in mind. It just makes Jor-El look patronizing and arrogant. He also basically reprograms Clark in the Fortress for 12 years so that he would become Superman. That's a deed worthy of Brainiac.

It's also ridiculous to compare Superman to Jesus beyond the most generic things ("he saves", hurr). Superman can't "die for our sins", Jesus only resorts to physical force once, etc.

And the worst thing is the Kents are largely marginalized because Jor-El practically did all the work. Clark's main influence as Superman should be the Kents. Their Clark is overwritten by Jor-El. Pa is basically just there to die. I know both of them died in the Silver Age, but Clark shouldn't need to go through that to learn that he can't save everyone. He has super senses!

All of these are problems that were magnified in Man of Steel.

100 percent agree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"