• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Immortals

Yowza

Sidekick
Reaction score
Theseus is a mortal man chosen by Zeus to lead the fight against the ruthless King Hyperion, who is on a rampage across Greece to obtain a weapon that can destroy humanity.

immortals-Hyperion-poster.jpg

It stars Henry Cavill as Thesus (years before debut of Man of Steel) as well as Mickey Rourke as Hyperion. Both mere mortals unlike the Pantheon of Greek gods who watch on from afar before becoming embroiled in a confilct with the Titans residing from within Mt. Olympus.

It's a movie that has garnered mixed reaction from critics. I liked it though and recommend it to those few who may be a fan of darker comic book films. Anyone here watch it and actually like it?

Last edited:
I tried watching it soon after seeing Man of Steel. I made it to about half-way through and just gave up. I've never felt the urge to give it another go. I enjoyed 300 and even 300: Rise of an Empire more.

I tried watching it soon after seeing Man of Steel. I made it to about half-way through and just gave up. I've never felt the urge to give it another go. I enjoyed 300 and even 300: Rise of an Empire more.

Yeah, it wasn't the most popular movie. I think the ending I expected to be a bit more typical but actually slightly atypical.

One person I talked to thought the gods looked super young so was a turnoff. However, I think gods wouldn't appear as aged though which is why they're gods sort of ageless in a way.

When I first watched it, the village on the edge of a cliffside and cinematography around it kept me into it. I watched it before Man of Steel and thought wow what'll it be like if Superman is like that after seeing the initial teaser image 2 years before Man of Steel came out.

This is 1 B-movie that I think is worth watching the ending before the actual movie. A few minor tweaks and I think this really could've been A+.

Still, I actually enjoyed it almost the same as 300 and actually bit moreso on re-watches.

I thought it was just called Immortals? No The? In any case, I didn't mind this when I first saw it, and the scenes where the Gods were involved (fighting) were executed brilliantly; it's the sort of fighting cinematography that I'd have hoped for if Superman ever goes nuts over a severely lesser opponent.

[YT]h15iu2seVoI[/YT]

Last edited:
I thought it was just called Immortals? No The? In any case, I didn't mind this when I first saw it, and the scenes where the Gods were involved (fighting) were executed brilliantly; it's the sort of fighting cinematography that I'd have hoped for if Superman ever goes nuts over a severely lesser opponent.

[YT]h15iu2seVoI[/YT]

Your right it's "Immortals" don't know why I put "the" so fixed it.

As for the clip, can see Poseidon (Kellan Lutz) really went to town on the Titans. Absolutely every one of them did. Yet, just when it seems they cleaned out all of them, the gods start getting picked off. The way the conflict of the gods is kept separate yet intertwines with the human struggles to mark the end of the age of myth, I thought was a fitting way to send the movie off.

I see Mr. Lutz also starred in "The Legend of Hercules" which I haven't seen at all. Him and Isabel Lucas I think could perhaps be a fitting fancast for Ikaris and Thena in a Marvel Eternals movie? (Not saying better options not out there but still...)

Edit: Originally said Helena above instead of Thena so corrected that.

Last edited:
I see Mr. Lutz also starred in "The Legend of Hercules" which I haven't seen at all. Him and Isabel Lucas I think could perhaps be a fitting fancast for Ikaris and Helena in a Marvel Eternals movie? (Not saying better options not out there but still...)
I haven't seen Isobel in much, but she doesn't strike me as a very talented actress. Of the film I've seen her in, she's either had small parts (so no time to shine?) or just generally seems bland - Immortals included.

This movie was okay; I liked Cavill and Freida Pinto in it. Rourke was okay too, but he's more or less the same in everything (yes, even his overrated performance in The Wrestler). Some of the visuals and sets were cool but others looked really cheap. The armor in particular looked like something from a pop-up Halloween store. I did enjoy the fight sequences though; Theseus vs. Hyperion was particularly brutal.

I haven't seen Isobel in much, but she doesn't strike me as a very talented actress. Of the film I've seen her in, she's either had small parts (so no time to shine?) or just generally seems bland - Immortals included.

Yeah, I suppose she's a choice but certainly not the only one.

As she plays Zeus daughter Athena in "Immortals", I suppose it would make sense for her to play Thena in Eternals. Or I suppose she could just play an MCU version of Athena if Eternals and Greek gods share a movie together.:huh:

Isabel Lucas as Athena
PHr2CPsy3YRVvv_1_l.jpg

Comic Deptiction of Thena:
thena.gif

On a sidenote, I found it interesting how Marvel Comics has some greek god characters and Eternals separate yet to make things confusing some Eternals mimic the Greek Gods to appease nearby neighboring people.

Eternal Comics Thena: In Eternal comics, Thena's father is Zuras (whose the ruling son of Kronos after Kronos dies in experiment that activates the Eternal Genes). She impersonates the greek goddess Athena (daughter of Zeus). This is because the Eternal city of Olympia is separate from where the greek gods live which is on the other side of a portal near Olympia at least from what I can discern from the comics.

Thena was born in the city of Olympia in ancient Greece, and is thus one of the Eternals of Olympia. Originally named Azura, but her father Zuras had her name changed by royal decree to resemble that of Zeus' daughter Athena to seal the treaty between their two peoples. Due to this, she has often been mistaken for Athena. The city of Athens was apparently built for her, not the goddess...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thena

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"