• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Internet Issues, Helped Needed

DCnightwing23

Sidekick
Reaction score
Hey folks, so i have been running into some issues pretty consistently in the last few weeks with my internet at home. I'm hoping you can help me out here. Let me explain what's going on.

So first things first, i have Comcast. I've had them since i've been at my apartment for the past couple of years. I've also recently purchased a new Linksys router about 2 months ago. The modem is a standard Motorola branded one that Comcast issues to most of their customers. The issue i have been having isn't with speeds from comcast but rather the connectivity of the internet. My day to day usage typically includes streaming movies off my Android tablet to my Xbox, playing some online multiplayer gaming, and typical web browsing when im at home. All my devices, smartphone, laptop and tablet run off the same Wifi network. There are times throughout the day when Wifi seems to stop all together in my home, yet all the devices still show that they are connected to Wifi with full bars. For example, im on my Xbox and all of a sudden it'll keep me out of online (I am a Gold member) and say connection lost, yet on my other devices they still show as connected. Now when this happens, even though they show they are still connected they cannot use internet. Nothing requiring internet (browsing the web, streaming music) works. This happens pretty consistently throughout the day, some days it wont happen but most of the time it does. It's pretty crazy, and i know if i call Comcast they will want to charge me for over the phone support which is BS. I want a for sure answer, if it's my router, or the comcast modem?? I usually check if there are outages for Comcast in my area, and that's never the problem. I just need help. I'm willing to shell out cash for a more advanced router or modem i just dont know which one is the issue.

Any tech guru's out there willing to help?

So if it shows full wifi on the devices, do you still have access on anything? I mean if you get the message on xbox then check your tablet can you connect to your tablet? How often does it go down? What do you do to try and fix it?

Also paying for tech help for their own service is pure BS. I'd leave them and state that's the reason for leaving. I did internet tech support for 4-5 years and it was always included in the cost.

So when it shows its still connected on my other devices, i actually cant access the internet on them. And it's very intermittent, it's actually happening on and off on my laptop just browsing thru the forums right now! Telling webpage not available, yet full wifi signal. Could it be an issue with the router, or the modem? I honestly don't know.

Also, outside of my connection dropping throughout the day i am experiencing sporadic changes to my internet speeds. One minute i have 30mbps down the next im working with 3mbps down. Using Speedtest.net for that. This issue is insane

How often does it go down? What do you do to try and fix it?

So it does down maybe 3 times a day? I'll go back up on its own after maybe a minute? So if im streaming then it crashes. I reset my router, power cycle it by unplugging everything. I just bought an Asus router that's pretty powerful. I will admit the Linksys one i bought 2 months ago was 40$ and yeah, could very well be the router. Comcast sent me a health check of the modem and it was okay. I didn't care for their support thinking i was BSing them though. I need to switch to fiber.

Some modems have issues with certain types of routers. Google the modem type and router and see if they have any compatibility issues. Could be a few other things though. Line issues or the modem itself. If Comcast says the line is fine, see about getting a modem replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"