• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Dark Knight Joker Casting Threads [merged-30]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AnimeJune said:
Just because he's a good actor does not mean he'd be right for the role.

Ok, then. Let's get into detail: he is thin, and, as a great actor, can play a lunatic, a charming man, a killer, a beggar, a playboy, etc.

There are others, but he could make a great Joker.

Mr Sensitive said:
Ok, then. Let's get into detail: he is thin, and, as a great actor, can play a lunatic, a charming man, a killer, a beggar, a playboy, etc.

I concur. :up:

Mr Sensitive said:

All of those things are true - however, there might be people who could do that job better. We don't necessarily need an actor who is pretty and charming. We need an actor who can pull off insanity and entertainment. I have yet to see a film in which Jude Law is funny. I have yet to see a film in which Jude Law has played someone genuinely, evilly, insane and loving it.

AnimeJune said:
All of those things are true - however, there might be people who could do that job better. We don't necessarily need an actor who is pretty and charming. We need an actor who can pull off insanity and entertainment. I have yet to see a film in which Jude Law is funny. I have yet to see a film in which Jude Law has played someone genuinely, evilly, insane and loving it.

Jude Law doesnt have to be funny - just be able to play a guy who thinks he's funny.

SUPERBENITEZ said:
Jude Law doesnt have to be funny - just be able to play a guy who thinks he's funny.
Alright - I still have yet to see Jude Law in a film as a guy who think's he's funny. Listen, if you're a fan, by all means - that's your opinion. But there are other people who watch his movies in a different light, like me, who don't believe he would be a good Joker. He's too suave, too smooth, and too-good-looking. Joker's a funny-lookin' dude - he can't look like a magazine cover.

Paul Bettany fits that description.
Steve Carrell fits that description.
Chris Eccleston fits that description.

Jude Law comes across to me as a prettyboy. I don't think Joker should be played by a prettyboy.

Thats what make-up is for, isnt it ?- I didnt think Law looked too pretty in 'Road to Perdition'.

None of the other guys, who I also think would be good choices as well btw, already look like the Joker. The actor cast in the role will be made to look like him.

So what if Law is a pretty boy off-camera. It's what he looks (and acts) like on screen that matter, and I believe he could pull off a great performance as Mr.J.

But, you have your opinion, and I respect that. :up:

SUPERBENITEZ said:
Thats what make-up is for, isnt it ?- I didnt think Law looked too pretty in 'Road to Perdition'.

None of the other guys, who I also think would be good choices as well btw, already look like the Joker. The actor cast in the role will be made to look like him.

So what if Law is a pretty boy off-camera. It's what he looks (and acts) like on screen that matter, and I believe he could pull off a great performance as Mr.J.

But, you have your opinion, and I respect that. :up:

i agree. he's a great actor and could definitely pull off the role. my only problem with him is he's a little too over-exposed right now. i'd prefer a lesser-known actor in the role.

sinewave said:
i agree. he's a great actor and could definitely pull off the role. my only problem with him is he's a little too over-exposed right now. i'd prefer a lesser-known actor in the role.

Yeah, it's a double edged sword - we dont want a 'major hollywood megastar' overshadowing things again - much like 1989.

As I said previously, I was only pointing out that Law could do a decent job in response to some posts criticising his credentials for the role.

There are a few other, just as good, alternatives. Glover, Hulme, Eccleston etc.

I remember saying ages ago that an 'off the wall' casting choice would be comedian Lee Evans. That one would be interesting.

AnimeJune said:
I have yet to see a film in which Jude Law is funny. I have yet to see a film in which Jude Law has played someone genuinely, evilly, insane and loving it.

If you do want that, maybe you want him in the Joker's role.

Top three for Joker should be....

Eccleston
Bettany
Hulme

alternates to be looked at that are bigger names.......
Weaving
Law

Mr Sensitive said:
If you do want that, maybe you want him in the Joker's role.
Not really - I'd prefer someone experienced in insanity. But anyway, I agree with whoever said that Jude Law is overexposed. I'd prefer a lesser-known actor, because picking Jude Law gives the impression that he's being picked because he's A-List, and not necessarily because he's best for the part, which he isn't, IMO.

AnimeJune said:
Not really - I'd prefer someone experienced in insanity.

This is typecasting. It wouldn't be good.

I prefer a versatile actor than one who is recognized for his previous nutjob work.

I like the idea of Hugo Weaving as The Joker.

I think a relative unknown stage actor would be best.

The ideal Joker? Actor Robert Knepper - he plays T-Bag in tv's Prison Break. I doubt there's an actor working today that is more suited to the part than Knepper. Two clips to show his amazing potential:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St2WdefwFjo&search=T-Bag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhVv6S4Pi_I&search=T-Bag prison break

Can do creepy, looks the part - seems perfect. If he exaggerated his acting a little and did the mad laugh,he would be ideal. I can't think of anyone more suited than him. Doubt Warner Bros will find a better candidate than him.

Why the hell would you bump this ancient thread, when there's a perfectly good identical thread STICKIED!?!?!

super_fan said:
The ideal Joker? Actor Robert Knepper - he plays T-Bag in tv's Prison Break. I doubt there's an actor working today that is more suited to the part than Knepper. Two clips to show his amazing potential:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St2WdefwFjo&search=T-Bag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhVv6S4Pi_I&search=T-Bag prison break

Can do creepy, looks the part - seems perfect. If he exaggerated his acting a little and did the mad laugh,he would be ideal. I can't think of anyone more suited than him. Doubt Warner Bros will find a better candidate than him.

he looks like an older version of justin theroux, who i think would make a pretty decent joker, or dent even.

robert knepper
tbag.jpg

justin theroux
main1.jpg

I really like Justin Theroux for either role or even Riddler - just not enough to make him my top guy.

I would love to see a pure evil, and diabolical Joker on the big screen, if he is choosen next for the sequel. (I'd rather see other villian first.) But if they went with The Joker I like the look of him in the Batman Dead End Short Film:​

030724joker.jpg

I think that is a great look with the straight jacket, but eventually get him out of the straight jacket and into the famous purple attire, but not a bright purple, more of a dark purple. And of course he would have to be insanely funny, not too campy or over the top, but just insane to the point where your like whoa, and it sends shivers down your spine when your watching him on the screen.

I am not really sure who I would go with for an actor on The Joker, I will get back to you on that one.

Great official Joker thread by the way.
By the way the guy who played the Joker in that piece passed away as well.Just an interesting side note.Its like the Joker curse or somthing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"