• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Journey of the West Trilogy BY GIAMON,CAMERON AND DEL TORO!!

louiebling$

Just Chucking with you
Reaction score
Gaimon, Cameron, & Del Toro Set to Monkey Around With – The Monkey King

Google “Monkey King” and you’ll get some where in the 44 million hits range. An age old Chinese folk legend, the Monkey King has been in just about every kind of social medium, story telling, plays, books, comics, television, movies, anime, you name it and someone has done it.​
So when Chinese TV producer Zhang Jizhong decided to take a crack at the Monkey King it wasn’t earth shattering news. Then Jizhong hired Neil Gaiman to write Journey to the West, a film trilogy of the tale of the Monkey King’s travels from China to India in search of Buddha’s scrolls. That’s news. Throw in James Cameron as a story and technical production advisor, sprinkle in Del Toro as the prospective director and you have an almost unholy alliance of talent.​
Journey to the West will be shot in English, using a cast of both Western and Chinese actors. Gaiman is mindful of how ingrained the legend of the Monkey King is to the people of China, but he’s excited about the project’s potential. Gaiman relates the Monkey King to another story told many times and in many ways, The Odyssey.​
“There is nothing inherently Greek about The Odyssey. These are big stories that work with people. There are 2,000 pages filled with adventures. The delight and the challenge is to write a story that for 1.4 billion people is in their DNA.”​

My god, Del Toro, I'm sure you'll be making movies until you're ghost takes over for you.

Wake me up when it actually happens. I'm permenantly negative about crap like this after being screwed on Lovecraft.

If this happens I'll be the first in line opening day

Yay Gaiman! Yay Del Toro! Cameron....:dry:

Gaiman is good at handling Gods of mythologies and abstract beings e.g. American Gods and Sandman series. I am sure it will be awesome if it ever gets of the ground, in truth I would rather see an American Gods movie.

The thing that grabbed my attention is that they characters will be played by a mix of Western and Chinese actors... So, the question is, which will be which? An interesting idea - though a potentially politically unsafe one - would be to have Western actors for the demons (e.g. specifically the three companions) with Chinese actors as the humans (e.g. Xuanzang); thus allowing Hollywood to keep the 'main character' as a white guy.

Alternatively, or rather on an unrelated note, what do you guys reckon are the odds that at least one amongst Jackie Chan, Chow Yun-Fat and Jet Li will be involved (possibly even the Monkey King himself)?

I notice Del Toro announces a lot more movies than he makes.

prefer this Monkey!!
monkey.jpg

I keep hearing I need to play Enslaved. I loved Heavenly Sword so I suppose I owe it to myself to check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"