Leonardo DiCaprio to produce Captain Planet Movie

But Captain Planet is a dumb idea.

An environmental based superhero is something that could make just as big of a wave now as it did back then in the 90's, moreso nowadays if they made it faithful to the cartoon instead of going subversive.

An environmental based superhero is something that could make just as big of a wave now as it did back then in the 90's, moreso nowadays if they made it faithful to the cartoon instead of going subversive.
Environmental protecting superhero idea is fine. Needing 5 teenagers with rings with different powers to summon him by letting their powers combine is a dumb idea.

It was always my understanding CP was like, a demigod that it takes all of the chosen teenager wielders of the ring artifacts to conjure him in times of great peril to vanquish their enemies.

That's actually not really "dumb" at all if they approached the project correctly.

The idea of making a preachy/self-righteous entertainment product and the associated toys seems a lot more hypocritical and less appealing to me as an adult. The best part of the series probably was the voice acting and it's hard to see how those actors could be topped.

It would be pretty hard to not seem self-righteous and also just goofy, even self-defeating, to preach against pollution when the good guys are instead using magic for power and transportation, pretty self-defeating to be that much fantasy.

He said he wants to make it subversive, so they'll probably address all that.

It could be cool even if cliche if one of the main characters or their parent was a genius inventor actually working on an alternative energy like solar, wind or water power. Wind or water power could even be used exaggerated but semi-realistic in action scenes.

So no news for 2 years then suddenly the thread gets bumped.

Look, I want it to happen but I don't think it will.

Gosh so much cynicism!

People! Be more excited about teens that can shoot fire out of rings! And environmentalism isn’t a dirty word

Gosh so much cynicism!

People! Be more excited about teens that can shoot fire out of rings! And environmentalism isn’t a dirty word

Personally I don't know why you want this to be another Marvel film, we get 20 of those a year. It would be so much better to turn this into something unexpected and not at all the shlock fest it could easily be.

The concept of the character is really really dumb, and he's not even the main focus. This is like having a Hulk movie where Bruce is absent when he's not Hulk, and the story focus is on one or more of his sidekick characters.

I wonder if they will get children from different continents of the world for this movie, and if they will be criticized as stereotypes.

It would be pretty hard to not seem self-righteous

Self-righteousness is the cornerstone of the whole concept, though. Throw Leo in the mix, and it's the whole intention.

You want to make this thing for 500 bucks and produced by the NPR guy riding his bicycle around and sleeping in a treehouse, awesome. But DiCaprio even being attached to it pretty much nulls & voids whatever it's trying to say, before the thing even gets started.

I really liked DiCaprio's acting and used to like him in general, I can still separate his acting from his energy hypocrisy and enjoy it but it does reduce the enjoyment.

It could work but more than likely it won't work. Describing it as "subversive" right off the bat there makes me doubt they are doing this right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"