• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Matt insults yet another classic movie (Now featuring: Chinatown)

I agree that he is a pedophile, but there is some back story as why he ran away. I would suggest checking out Wanted and Desired, a documentary of the case.

Little piece:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/138382

Interesting for sure, although i think a retrial would have exposed the judge and freed him if he was never actually expected to go to jail for the offense. It would have also gotten rid of that judge.

Heh, yeah just an example, I wasn't sure what state he was guilty of the act in.
Weirdly enough, the incident actually occurred in Jack Nicholoson's house, Nicholson was away and Polanski was looking after his house for him.

IMO redemption is only on the table to a certain point and in certain crimes, molesters and rapists don't deserve redemption after what they have taken IMO. Again though, in Polanskis case it was more he took advantage of an underage girl as opposed to a straight up rape.
Would you consider him redemptive if he finally faced the victim? Surprisingly, she's actually sympathetic to him and would much rather they put it both behind him since she holds no ill will for him.

I really only dug Frantic of his work but ive not seen The Pianist yet, although i bought it a few weeks ago.
Pianist is a good 'un. Brody is fantastic.

Could we rename these threads to suit the (hopefully) ongoing meta-joke Matt is making with his opinions of movies?:huh:

Like, I think everyone would get the idea much more if these were called

"Hairy Man-Monkey Slack-jawedly Watches Classic Movies While Drooling and Intermittently Forgetting How to Breathe"

Unless these are serious
in which case
ohhhh Matt... oh d00d... I... no way, man... n-n-no... way:csad:

Just to clarify, I'm not entirely serious with this thread. I did love Jack's performance in this movie, and over all, I am exaggerating my hatred of it (and all these movies I'm "reviewing,"). I didn't like the movie, because frankly, it bored me. Just not my type of film...but in all fairness, I've never really been big on the whole noir genre anyhow, so...it makes sense that it wouldn't be. I can see some good artistic quality in it, but overall I felt it dragged and there were far too many subplots and characters that ultimately went no where and didn't really tie into anything. So yeah, while I didn't really care for this, I'm obviously not as outraged by it as I would imply.

Last edited:
Weirdly enough, the incident actually occurred in Jack Nicholoson's house, Nicholson was away and Polanski was looking after his house for him.

Would you consider him redemptive if he finally faced the victim? Surprisingly, she's actually sympathetic to him and would much rather they put it both behind him since she holds no ill will for him.

I would've considered him redemptive if he did not run like a coward. As Donnie pointed out, there was some behind the scenes stuff going on...but never-the-less. Obviously any judge who tries to lock him away for life on a statutory rape charge is going to have that overturned in appeals, though he likely would've done at least some time in prison. He deserved some jail time and the second it looked like his slap on the wrist probation plea bargain was not going to fly, he ran, like a coward. And its not like he is living in a hut in Panama. He has lived the good life in a mansion in Paris, is one of the highest paid directors on the planet, and won an Oscar. He hardly has paid for his sins.

Last edited:
I don't think he was a fully fledged kiddie fiddler exactly, but he's still a filthy sleazebag.

I'm gonna have to go with full fledged fiddler. In the documentary Wanted and Desired they point out he started 'dating' Nastasia Kinski when she was only 16 or 17(lookin all of 12)

Best thing about the movie is John Huston's role as that ****ing disgusting mother****ing Noah Cross. My god, what a creep. Great performance from a great director; you don't see that very often.
The last scene is amazing aswell.

I'm actually watching the sequel right now. It's alright.

That's almost poetic heh.

Well I think he has his redemption b/c that can only really be given by the victim.

Given this discussion it will find it's way into my DVD player soon. :up:

its not even a movie worth mentioning...

i had to watch this in my cinematography class... meh, wiped it from my memory

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"