The Punisher MCU's answer to Death Wish and John Wick

Hordakfan

Civilian
Reaction score
Would you consider this to be the marvel television/cinematic universe's equal to both films?

Death Wish maybe, John Wick not so much. The Punisher, especially Jon Bernthal's version reminds me more of Rambo than John Wick.

Not really, this show pretty much tried to avoid that. Death Wish and John Wick are just wish fulfillment films, something terrible happens to the leads to justify intense violence, just enough that the audience can root for them. This show had a little more nuance than that, specially in the finale where [BLACKOUT]the climax was Frank saving a stand in for his family and decide to find help with a support group (one of the most interesting place to leave the season with) as oppose to "kill them all" thing most people were expecting.[/BLACKOUT] Not saying it's necessarily a better decision or a huge difference, I personally liked that more, but they definitely leaned him much closer to a hero than an anti-hero.

Rambo First Blood is a much better comparison.

Yeah. I thought that it reminded me more of First Blood than Death Wish. He seems a different type of vigilante to Charles Bronson or Bruce Willis in Death Wish.

Maybe they can have a First Blood homage episode where Frank goes to a small town trying to mind his own business and he gets arrested by a sheriff and is forced to take them all on. The sheriff and the police aren't aware that Castle is actually the Publisher but only find out when the situation gets out of hand and the feds are brought in.

Certain things about Jon Bernthal's performance in season 1 made me think he drew inspiration from rambo...the way he scowls in certain scenes and the voice and of course the war cry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"