My opening scene to Aquaman film [comments welcome]

Peyton Westlake

the Dark Avenger
Reaction score
Everyone's imagination is different. So lets go with this and see where it goes.

[ Night time, full moon above , main street beside boardwalk of shoreline]

[Visioning Momoa slowly rising out of the ocean slowly.]

[His long hair and beard weighed down by the ocean water draining down off both]

[ The shadow of His large imposing figure floats across the beach carrying him onto the boardwalk]

[ Passer byes start to look & gasp]

[He continues until the ocean mist floats him ankle height from the boardwalk & sets him down on the main street closest to the boardwalk/beach]

[The moonlight now shining off him more , making the 6ft. trident he holds now sparkle]

Standerby : Who...are you?

Aquaman (Momoa) : Who am I you ask?

[ He uses his trident to spear thru the front grill of a parked car,lifting it up and slams it down destroying it with incredible force]

Aquaman (Momoa) : I... AM.... YOUR KING !

It seems just too much like how Percy Jackson Lightening Thief opens! That's not the best thing to emulate.

That "I AM YOUR KING" bit is really cheesy.

Well I do admit its an over the top scene. But I thought Aquaman needs something to immediately set him apart from preconceived ideas everyone has of him just being the hero who swims & talks to fish. He needs an opening scene to explode & establish his badassery.

Well I do admit its an over the top scene. But I thought Aquaman needs something to immediately set him apart from preconceived ideas everyone has of him just being the hero who swims & talks to fish. He needs an opening scene to explode & establish his badassery.

He does need a scene that explodes and establishes his badassery but yours didn't do that.
Start off with Atlanteans fighting aquatic barbarians and Aquaman leads the charge...think the opening of Gladiator

What the hey, I'll give it a shot:

We see an isolated island somewhere in the oceans, one that has very few people living on it, and maybe one small military station. We see a teenage boy and his mother gathered with friends and family at a tombstone right above the beach and under a dilapidated lighthouse. The mother has the quiet dignity that seems at odds with her humble surroundings, and the boy is fighting back tears.

The mother gives a eulogy on the man, Arthur Curry, expositing on both their marriage and it's strange beginning, and his mysterious death at sea. We also begin to notice that the mourners are composed of a diverse group of people; some are clearly normal islanders, but others are different somehow.

Suddenly, we see the waves act weird, and witness the radio station in the lighthouse be jammed. The boy and his mother both realize what's happening, as an Atlantean sub suddenly surfaces, accompanied by the Black Manta sub. An older Black Manta emerges with a large party of combined soldiers, with BM ordering an attack on the mourning party. We see the mourners fight back, demonstrating baseline Atlantean powers and cooperation with surface worlders, though most of the latter are killed.

Black Manta brings down the crowd with some kind of crowd weapon that manages to knock them (and some of the soldiers from his group) unconscious. They go through the crowd, and BM orders his son to shackle the other "rebels and delinquents" for labor camps, while he himself takes the mother away, and is halfway through referring to her as a runaway queen when suddenly a massive squid creature lifts his sub into the air and smashes it, before falling on the troops, with the boy charging straight out towards BM, freeing his mother and fighting him.

It's a pretty brutal fight, with the boy getting scarred but coming out on top. His mother begins to interrogate BM, and when BM's responses imply he killed Arthur, the boy, angered, kills him...just as BM's son rallies his forces and witnesses the act. The two begin to fight, with BM2 winning, when the fight is broken up by a trident blast. BM2 still tries to kill Arthur 2, but is ordered to stand down by the trident wielder, Prince Orm.

Orm is immensely upset at the situation, since he was looking for his mother. She clearly is happy to see him, but refuses to return as Queen, so he's forced to imprison her. He then talks to his advisor Vulko, who points out that controlling the creature requires royal blood. Orm finds the situation awkward, but immediate seeks to acknowledge their brotherhood, and praises Arthur 2's skills in taking down his father's best mercenary. He expresses distaste at the spilled Atlantean blood around them (ignoring the surface dwellers death), while Arthur still simmers about his father's death. Orm is somewhat confused, then reveals that Arthur 1 is still alive, albeit now imprisoned in Atlantis for "insults to the crown."

Orm, under Vulko's advice, shares his desire to end the chaos of his father's policies once he takes the throne, and offers his hand to Arthur 2 as not just a brother but a friend. Arthur 2 eventually takes it, vowing to see that this tragedy doesn't happen again.

Time shift from young boy to grown up Aquaman.

He does need a scene that explodes and establishes his badassery but yours didn't do that.
Start off with Atlanteans fighting aquatic barbarians and Aquaman leads the charge...think the opening of Gladiator

Yeah, I'm thinking they need to take the Aquaman movie very seriously, as if they were writing an actual historical action/adventure/drama like Gladiator. Don't ever see Aquaman as being a contender for an Oscar Nom, but they should write it as if it is.

I think a lot of the critical success of the other DCU characters depends on how well they handle the mythological aspects. I mean, an underwater city where people talk to each other and there's politics and its modeled after Greek Mythology, could be really silly in the context of the universe, or it could be really spot on perfect, it's all in the hands of the writer and director (sets and costumes, of course, too). I'm really looking forward to seeing how well it's done. Same with Wonder Woman.

I do like the idea of the opening scene being set on a beach at night, no music, just the sound of the waves, and all in one shot, you see a figure's head rising up from the water, walking up the shoreline, in the shadows until he reaches the shore and the full reveal of Aquaman and the camera pans behind him to show him looking out at the bright lights of the city.

I'd open it with a 360 shot of Earth slowly zooming into a shot of Atlantis narrated by...someone good at narrating about how there are secrets and places unexplored on the Earth. Eventually show Aqua Mamoa sitting on the thrown with his trident.

The possibly dive straight into an action scene to get the audience enthralled immediately and one the edge of their seats. Maybe a massive sea monster attacks and Aquaman stands from his thrown and handles it like a boss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"