Need help choosing graphic novels. Recommendations?

djsupes

Trippin' boos since 1989
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My interest towards comic books has recently been sparked with the release of the Iron Man: Armored Adventures television series and I'm looking to pick up a bunch of graphic novels. In the past I've read DC almost exclusively, so I'm not sure where to begin with Marvel.

What graphic novels would you guys recommend me? I would like to avoid TPBs which require I know the back story to understand them; I am new to the Marvel Universe. I currently have Iron Man: Extremis, Invincible Iron Man, and The Ultimates on my wishlist. I am considering: X-Men: Messiah Complex, Mighty Avengers, The Avengers Initiative, Thunderbolts, and Ultimate Spider Man. I don't want to go crazy with the spending, so if you have any recommendations for specific arcs worth picking up from those titles, that would be awesome.

Also..Yesterday I picked up Secret War, Secret Invasion, and The New Avengers: Secret Invasion Book 2 TPB as well as the Mighty Avengers: Secret Invasion Book 1 TPB. I'm really enjoying Secret War thus far. Oh, and question: which order should I read the Secret Invasion TPBs in? Also, is it wise to pick up New Avengers SI Book 1 and Mighty Avengers SI Book 2?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any help. Much appreciated

Last edited:
The Ultimates- Collects The Ultimates 1-13
The Ultimates 2- Collects The Ultimates 14-26

Yeh, I'm gonna pick up the new HC that came out collecting the Ultimates.

Just curious what else. Thanks btw.

Well what exactly are you interested in?What characters what type of stories?

Spider-Man, Captain America, Avengers, Iron Man...

"Types of stories", not sure. As long as there's solid story and some action I should be pleased.

^Thanks.

Have any of you ever ordered from Amazon before? Amazon.ca has ridiculously low prices on some of this stuff...

Spider-Man, Captain America, Avengers, Iron Man...

"Types of stories", not sure. As long as there's solid story and some action I should be pleased.
i dont know if Spider-Man Brand New Day has any trades yet, but if you like the character i would check those out.

For Spider-man I suggest the following

Death of the Stacys premiere
Kraven's Last Hunt premeire
Marvel masterworks vol.1

Captain America
Omnibus By Ed Brubaker vol.1

Avengers
Avengers Assemble vol.1

well since BND starts fresh i figure its a good place for someone new to comics to start off.

I think I'm gonna finish what I have and then just buy all the USM TPBs. I keep hearing such great things about USM and I love the art.

Amazon.ca has Brubaker's Cap omnibus for $50 Canadian new, so I picked that up. I also purchased New Avengers Vol 8, Mighty Avengers Vol 4, and the Ultimates omnibus.

Will read this and then refer back to this thread when it's time to get some new material.

Feel free to still give suggestions if you like, and thanks for those that have been given.

Oh yeh, and sorry for asking again, but which order should I read New Avengers Vol 8 & 9, Mighty Avengers vol 4 & 5 in? Can I reach each tpb all the way through (and in which order?) or do I have to reach a comic from each and go back and fourth?

^ do that if you got a lot of time -- and will

I just also picked up the House of M TPB, Civil War TPB, and the Deadpool Secret Invasion TPB.

Ultimate Spider-Man will probably be next...

Yeh...I just bought all of the USM TPBs. Damn eBay and it's Buy it Now button, sitting there just mocking me.

God Damn you spending a lot of cash. :eek: Take your time, it'll still be there. Unless you're rich. Then, by all means, go nuts. :o

Ultimate Spider-man > Brand New Day ... but the other Ultimate marvel series are not as good as their counterparts in my opinion

I used to be a big Ultimate line fan. I had been out of comics for a good long while and when they lauched the Ultimate line i thought it would be great to jump on and be able to follow it from the begining. It went down hill fast. I would avoid the Ultimate line at all costs if I were you. It is just one big screwed up mess now.

I would recomend Planet Hulk and the sequill World War Hulk. Both are ver solid stories and treat the Hulk with a lot of respect. The new Thor books are pretty good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"