• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics New Avengers #51--Spider-Man related spoilers

I just think its a little weird how all of a sudden she's idolizing Peter now when before (pre-OMD) she never really acknowledged him in any way and we never had any indication that her and Peter had any prior connection. I know i'm nitpicking, but still, its a little weird.

I think people need to get over Peter being on the Avengers.

I think this statement is a little presumptuous.
I was psyched when I learned that Spidey was going to be on the Avengers. And at first it was really cool. But it just doesn't seem to contribute to anything, and I don't think the BND Spidey belongs on the Avengers.

Not as a full time member anyway. Reservist seems more appropriate.

I was hoping he would walk.
What has Spidey brought to the Avengers table besides some funny one-liners?

With Norman Osborn being where he is right now and having his own "legit" Avengers team I'd say now is a PERFECT time to have Spidey on an Avengers team. :)

I would agree, but Norman has pretty much made the transition to an Ironman villain.

I'll be honest, I always used to think that Spidey should be an Avenger. Since he's became one, though, he's been the idiot whipping boy. He's not won a single fight the whole time, I don't think. The Wrecker, Jigsaw, that SHIELD psychic, and a bunch of ninjas. All he does is hover in mid-air and yack yack yack...while getting his ass kicked mercilessly. This, the guy who has stood toe to toe with some of Marvel's A-list heroes and villians and won.

Were Spidey written as a little more seasoned veteran, I could see his being on the Avengers as a great step forward for the character. A Spidey that talked about how he wasn't good enough of how he couldn't handle the more cosmic threats, all while showing his mettle, now THAT'S the Spidey I know.

Not the rambling punching bag.

As for the secret identity thing, how many women need to get shot and dropped off of a bridge before he gets it?! They are all heroes, yeah, but didn't he just witness a secret invasion that proved that no one is who they seem to be? What if Norman now captures one of his team mates and tortures them until they reveal his identity? Is Peter now THAT stupid?!?!

As for Dark Reign, I honestly cannot even stand to read it. Norman Osborn is now a Dr. Doom-level villain? Come on. I liked that Norman was a genius who had slowly become obsessed with Spider-Man's destruction. Putting him in charge of the MU would be cool, only if it was an elaborate plot to destroy Spider-Man.

Also, I think a cooler story would have involved him leaving the Avengers when he was asked to unmask, they get attacked by the Dark Avengers, and Spidey comes to the rescue, so that the team trusts him, despite them not knowing his ID.

Rant over.

Originally Posted by Shinlyle

I'll be honest, I always used to think that Spidey should be an Avenger. Since he's became one, though, he's been the idiot whipping boy. He's not won a single fight the whole time, I don't think. The Wrecker, Jigsaw, that SHIELD psychic, and a bunch of ninjas. All he does is hover in mid-air and yack yack yack...while getting his ass kicked mercilessly. This, the guy who has stood toe to toe with some of Marvel's A-list heroes and villians and won.

Were Spidey written as a little more seasoned veteran, I could see his being on the Avengers as a great step forward for the character. A Spidey that talked about how he wasn't good enough of how he couldn't handle the more cosmic threats, all while showing his mettle, now THAT'S the Spidey I know.

Not the rambling punching bag.

As for the secret identity thing, how many women need to get shot and dropped off of a bridge before he gets it?! They are all heroes, yeah, but didn't he just witness a secret invasion that proved that no one is who they seem to be? What if Norman now captures one of his team mates and tortures them until they reveal his identity? Is Peter now THAT stupid?!?!

As for Dark Reign, I honestly cannot even stand to read it. Norman Osborn is now a Dr. Doom-level villain? Come on. I liked that Norman was a genius who had slowly become obsessed with Spider-Man's destruction. Putting him in charge of the MU would be cool, only if it was an elaborate plot to destroy Spider-Man.

Also, I think a cooler story would have involved him leaving the Avengers when he was asked to unmask, they get attacked by the Dark Avengers, and Spidey comes to the rescue, so that the team trusts him, despite them not knowing his ID.

I agree with everything you said except for the Norman Osborn bit. I mean come on man don't you think that this is a great progression for Norman's character other than being the spiderman/peter-parker obsessed psycho that he's been for decades? Besides, when has ANY of spiderman's villains every gained notoriety in the MU? There's never been a marvel event that centered around spiderman or any of his villains, its about time that one of spidey's rogues got the spotlight and what better villain than Norman osborn? Also, i'm betting that Norman hasnt forgotten about Spidey one bit, trust me he's plotting something big against him. :yay:

The only times when pete seemed useful at all in the NA were JMS' New Avenger arc, and the Breakout mini, in NA pete has always been and will always be clown shoes but then maybe they just want to keep contunity with current ASM.

The Jessica Jones thing was weird but I think bendis just missed writing her so he tossed that in.

So let's see, clint barton knows who spider-man is but not johnny storm, matt murdock, mary jane or aunt may? Yeah, good job with that. Frankly considering Norman's been owning the craptastic NA since SI I'm surprised pete didn't walk, he'd be more effective on his own and out of bendis' hands.

Finally, these guys all remember spider-man unmasking during civil war but forgot about it and never questioned it, then they see him unmask now and still no one says WTF? Stupidest collective avengers team ever.

I agree with everything you said except for the Norman Osborn bit. I mean come on man don't you think that this is a great progression for Norman's character other than being the spiderman/peter-parker obsessed psycho that he's been for decades? Besides, when has ANY of spiderman's villains every gained notoriety in the MU? There's never been a marvel event that centered around spiderman or any of his villains, its about time that one of spidey's rogues got the spotlight and what better villain than Norman osborn? Also, i'm betting that Norman hasnt forgotten about Spidey one bit, trust me he's plotting something big against him. :yay:

Well, to each his own, but to me, Norman Osborn met his "natural progression" in ASM#122 with a Goblin Glider throught the heart. In my honest opinion, his legacy was so much stronger when he was dead...and, aside from "A Death in the Family", I haven't read a really GREAT GG story since ASM122...IMHO.

I rather liked millar's Last Stand actually, that letter at the end was the mosquito's ****.

I was honestly surprised to see him do this. I was thinking to myself while reading that scene "He's gonna walk."...but he didn't. Very very surprised, and I loved it.

Same here.

Personally, im cool with it.

I only wish the Fantastic Four had been spared Mephisto's mindwipe, or whatever happened.

I rather liked millar's Last Stand actually, that letter at the end was the mosquito's ****.

Yeah, that was awesome. "Revelations" was cool too, I thought.

Anyway, it seems like they're taking the Wally West approach to Spidey's identity: wipe the slate clean, then reveal it again to only certain characters. Which works fine, and actually works better here than the more contrived manner in Flash.

Same here.

Personally, im cool with it.

I only wish the Fantastic Four had been spared Mephisto's mindwipe, or whatever happened.

Well we DO have the Spidey/FF 2-parter coming up next in ASM. And isn't there supposed to be something big an important happening in it?

Well we DO have the Spidey/FF 2-parter coming up next in ASM. And isn't there supposed to be something big an important happening in it?
I would be happy if that is what happens but would two reveals back to back like that?

I enjoyed the story/reveal, but when I was rereading it I realized how much I liked Peter being the only one with the mask on, hanging out on the wall. I would prefer him to be on the team without revealing his ID, but in the end I dont really mind. The issue was slow, but I enjoyed the Avengers meeting, despite the fact that it took place in my apartment.

I'm glad that he did reveal himself to the New Avengers. I never had any problem with Wolverine, Daredevil, Black Cat knowing who he was. Having a few key superheroes know his identity is no problem for me at all. But was does piss me off (and its probably already been mentioned here in some way) is that by undoing the "no one knows who he is ever, not May, not Felicia, not DD, no one" it pretty much makes BND a spit inthe face of only the marriage.

Im glad it was revealed. I didnt like the identiy of having a secret identity among a team

A few thoughts on the unmasking:

Even though it produced a nice moment in HoM, I would have preferred to see an exchange between Luke and Peter. Luke was hired by Jameson as a direct result of Gwen dying. To me, it makes more sense for an exchange between the two of them, than him and Jessica. Which brings me to my second thought:

I think this was all a vanity on Bendis' part (big shocker, huh). I think he's had this scene in his mind for a long time and has been dying to get it out (to give it it's due, it was funny). But I think because Jessica(probably) already knew his identity before the CW reveal, there was never a good time for it. Never a big Scooby-Doo reveal moment that she could react like that. I betcha JQ crapped a brick when he told him he was going to do this.

I actually like the reveal. I did in CW, but much less so, because it was to encompassing. The main dynamic between Peter and everybody else changed too much. When it's on a small scale like this, it doesn't have to. But there's a lot future writers have to resist: widening the circle of "those in the know" (although I would never object to DD and Johnny-but only Johnny, not the FF), having all his hero-friends show up when Aunt May is in trouble, those kind of things.

A lot of this is dependent on how the re-masking happened. I don't really have a problem with the re-masking. It's a Deus Ex Machina, in a sense, we just don't know the details. And I have no (or little) problems with DEMs. If you create a problem too big for the hero (Galactus), sometimes a little DEM(The Ultimate Nullifier) is acceptable. Not a great way to start a story, but once you're commited, you have to end it somehow. And I understand how writer can let things get out of hand. This is basically what they did by the unmasking of Spidey in CW, they created too big of a problem for him by the general public knowing. It's not the first time in literature that it's happened. Hell, it's almost a convention in comics. That said, even I'm getting a little anxious that it hasn't been revealed. I wouldn't say I'm annoyed quite yet, but there are fine lines between creating a little dramatic tension, creating a mystery, and just jerking your readership around. Some of you crossed that line on issue 1 of BND. Me, I'm willing to wait, even a little bit longer, but if there's no plan at this point, just make something crappy up and let's get on with it. Who knows, maybe this will be addressed somewhat in the FF issue. I hope so.

I enjoyed the story/reveal, but when I was rereading it I realized how much I liked Peter being the only one with the mask on, hanging out on the wall. I would prefer him to be on the team without revealing his ID, but in the end I dont really mind. The issue was slow, but I enjoyed the Avengers meeting, despite the fact that it took place in my apartment.

I kind of liked that. The whole mansion, sky-scraper, sattelite, Batcave thing gets used in comics ad nauseum.

The fact that an Avengers meeting took place in a crappy Brooklyn apartment just seems kind of...real?

People in Peter Parker's life know who Peter Parker is. There's no reason for Jessica to not remember him from high school.

I think the teams hq in Bucky's loft is great, and works well with this team. I was just being glib really. Although I do prefer the epic Fortress of Solitude and Batcave to the realistic base of operations.

I kind of liked that. The whole mansion, sky-scraper, sattelite, Batcave thing gets used in comics ad nauseum.

The fact that an Avengers meeting took place in a crappy Brooklyn apartment just seems kind of...real?

Aloha,
This issue it says they were meeting in the Bronx.:huh:
Spidey rules

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back