• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

New Blade series details, new zombies series

I definitly think he took more than normal...he got shot to pieces, but the blood revitalised him. He got spiked, and took phenomenal amounts of punishment from an uber vampire....

True, but compare it to other notable action stars in TV and movies. Jack Bauer, for example, has been drugged, tortured, beat up, had heart problems, and had other stuff happen to him over the course of a few hours and still managed to run around, fight terrorists, and generally be more athletic than any normal human could be in one day. Heroes' getting their asses kicked is an action genre staple, and the more extreme it is, the better. I don't really think it means Blade was a major superhuman by comic book standards. He's got low-level powers by comparison to even the mid-range heroes like Spider-Man.

TheCorpulent1 said:
True, but compare it to other notable action stars in TV and movies. Jack Bauer, for example, has been drugged, tortured, beat up, had heart problems, and had other stuff happen to him over the course of a few hours and still managed to run around, fight terrorists, and generally be more athletic than any normal human could be in one day. Heroes' getting their asses kicked is an action genre staple, and the more extreme it is, the better. I don't really think it means Blade was a major superhuman by comic book standards. He's got low-level powers by comparison to even the mid-range heroes like Spider-Man.

But if Blade was a vampire, wouldnt he be more durable and stronger than spidey? Dracula is a very strong character who tangles with people like silver surfer.

I agree with Jack, but the thing is, if he got thrown into a wall, he wouldn't smash into it most likely, denting it. You have to remember Nomak was like the superman of vampires, and every time he threw blade into stuff the scenery practically crumbled under the impact, and he even dented the floor with one punch. Getting thrown around by Victor Drazen say , in 24, isn't the same as being thrown around as nomak. I see your point and all but consider who he was fighting. and those spikes plunged into about every part of his body, and he was practically dead before he became revitalised.

Blade would probably just live longer thanks to his vampire powers (which he got from Morlun in the comics; the only thing he got from "real" vampires in the comics was an immunity to their bite). In the Marvel universe, vampires are very low on the food chain. They've got strength, speed, agility, etc. only slightly higher than peak humans'. Blade would be more in Captain America's weight class than Spider-Man's.

Dracula's a special case. I think the given reason in the comics for Drac's greater-than-average vampiric physical powers is that he was turned into a vamp by Varnae, an ancient vampire created through Atlantean sorcery, and gypsy magic. I could be wrong on that, though.

TheCorpulent1 said:
I didn't think he took that much damage by action movie standards. It was the typical ass-kicking most action stars tend to get in their big final battles.

But that is my point. He didn't suffer much damage, but his body took damage that would have killed anyone that wasn't super human.

Example. If spiderman were to grab me by my feet, swing me head first into a concrete pillar resulting in chunks of that pillar flying off in multiple directions, I would not only be dead...my head would no longer be attached to my body.

Blade on the otherhand would have blood dripping from his mouth, but would be able to get up and continue fighting. That is superhuman.

I know, I agree. I was just pointing out that most action stars tend to appear superhuman, whether they're actually supposed to be or not. I thought you were implying that Blade should be a pretty powerful superhuman by comic standards based on that fight in Blade 2. If I misread you, I'm sorry.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Blade would be more in Captain America's weight class than Spider-Man's.

Thank you. I was trying to think of what Super Hero I would want the comic book Blade's strength level to mimick, and Cap is exactly it.

More than Batman...less than Spiderman. Maybe the strength equivalent of 5-10 very strong (normal) humans.

IMHO, that would qualify Blade as being superhuman, but not like Spiderman.

Blade's superhuman powers as I'd like to see them in a comic.

1. Immune to Vampire bites
  2. Strength of 5-10 humans
  3. Very reduced healing factor...similar to wolverine but much less
  4. Master martial artist (weapons, unarmed combat)
  5. Athleticism comparable to Daredevil and Black Panther

That would be my ideal Eric Brooks.:up:

TheCorpulent1 said:
I know, I agree. I was just pointing out that most action stars tend to appear superhuman, whether they're actually supposed to be or not. I thought you were implying that Blade should be a pretty powerful superhuman by comic standards based on that fight in Blade 2. If I misread you, I'm sorry.

No problems. Just one Blade fan having a discussion with another Blade fan.:)

In the original TOD he was kinda a sissy :(

Didn't Morlun sort of ''kill' spider man though? :confused:

XBRoughneck said:
I disagree with the idea that Blade isn't a superhero in the Marvel universe. Ever since the 1st movie, the Blade character has been portraid as something more than human. Did you see the damage he took in the last battle in movie #2? IMHO he'd have be be considered superhuman if he got up from a guy slamming his head through concrete.

I think everyone will agree that Blade needs to fight vampires, werewolves and other unsavory supernatural creatures. But, that doesn't mean he won't need to sometimes beat down a nasty supervillain or two ever so often.

Let's hope the writing proves to be much better than what Hudlin is doing in BP.

You misunderstood the word Superhero. Does Blade have super powers...Yes.
Does Blade patrol the city looking to stop crime?????
No Blade is a vampire hunter. His purpose is to kill every last vampire on earth.
Blade doesnt run into buildings to save people in fires.

Well, to be fair, he might run into a burning building to save people if he happened to see one.
Horrorfan said:
In the original TOD he was kinda a sissy :(

Didn't Morlun sort of ''kill' spider man though? :confused:
Morlun has nothing to do with Blade. Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking of Morbius but my mind wandered to other gothic Spider-Man villains, and Morlun's name is really similar to Morbius'. Some wires must've gotten crossed in my brain. Anyway, Blade got his vampire strength, speed, etc. from Morbius, not Morlun. Morbius' bite affected Blade despite his immunity to vampire bits because Morbius isn't a true, mystical vampire. He's basically a superhuman who gained very, very close approximations to a true vampire's powers through an experiment gone wrong, and his vampirism acts as a disease, so basically his bite infected Blade rather than turned him into a true vampire. I can't remember why, but Blade managed to not get the super-sensitivity to sunlight that Morbius has, so his powers in the comics are now very similar to his powers in the movies.

Tomb of Dracula was way before he gained his physical powers from Morbius, so that's probably why he was a sissy. His character design was a lot less cool back then, too:

blade.gif

:o

TheCorpulent1 said:
Well, to be fair, he might run into a burning building to save people if he happened to see one.

Morlun has nothing to do with Blade. Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking of Morbius but my mind wandered to other gothic Spider-Man villains, and Morlun's name is really similar to Morbius'. Some wires must've gotten crossed in my brain. Anyway, Blade got his vampire strength, speed, etc. from Morbius, not Morlun. Morbius' bite affected Blade despite his immunity to vampire bits because Morbius isn't a true, mystical vampire. He's basically a superhuman who gained very, very close approximations to a true vampire's powers through an experiment gone wrong, and his vampirism acts as a disease, so basically his bite infected Blade rather than turned him into a true vampire. I can't remember why, but Blade managed to not get the super-sensitivity to sunlight that Morbius has, so his powers in the comics are now very similar to his powers in the movies.

Tomb of Dracula was way before he gained his physical powers from Morbius, so that's probably why he was a sissy. His character design was a lot less cool back then, too:

blade.gif

K...that Blade looks like Indiana Jones.

I'm glad Blade has matured a bit since then.

It may just be misinterpreting some of the previous post, but I get the feeling some of you wouldn't mind a Blade comic being nothing more than a regular Indiana Jones type character fighting vampires every week. A Vanhelsing who doesn't have to worry about vampire bites.

That's not what I hope to see from this comic. Something more akin to the films, who "normally" fights vampires, undead and such, but every now and them will indeed rush into a burning building to save someone. Why? Because I'd like to think that Blade has a bit of humanity in his bones.

TheCorpulent1 said:

blade.gif

K...that Blade looks like Indiana Jones.

I'm glad Blade has matured a bit since then.

It may just be misinterpreting some of the previous post, but I get the feeling some of you wouldn't mind a Blade comic being nothing more than a regular Indiana Jones type character fighting vampires every week. A Vanhelsing who doesn't have to worry about vampire bites.

That's not what I hope to see from this comic. Something more akin to the films, where he "normally" fights vampires, undead and such, but every now and them will indeed rush into a burning building to save someone. Why? Because I'd like to think that Blade has a bit of humanity in his bones.

IMHO it's inevitable that in a regular MARVEL publication Blade will encounter super heroes and supervillains. The picture in the interview had Spiderman so I'm pretty sure the plan isn't to have Blade exist in his own little undead/paranormal island while the rest of the "super heroes" fight super villains around him.

What if a supervillain wishes to use vampires for his or her own personal gain? IMHO, I doubt Blade would think twice about axing such a person, even if that person wasn't a vampire.

Blade didn't really kill any non-vamps/reavers in the movies that I recall, but I wouldn't really put it past him to kill normal humans if they gave him a good enough reason to.

I really can't wait for this new series. For sure I think it'll be great.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Blade didn't really kill any non-vamps/reavers in the movies that I recall, but I wouldn't really put it past him to kill normal humans if they gave him a good enough reason to.

The movie didn't take place in the Marvel universe. The comic will.

XBRoughneck said:
The movie didn't take place in the Marvel universe. The comic will.

this comic will be based on the movie Blade.
I see Blade as someone who helps people if Vampires have placed them in bad situations...the little girl in the street, the guy at Bloodbath..ect ect ect...However Blade's motivation in hunting vampires is becuase of what they did to him and his mother. He doesnt do it for the good of mankind. He doesnt do it to help people. He does it for revenge. So again I ask you why would Blade go after supervillains????? How does that bring him to his goal of wiping out Vampires??????

roach said:
this comic will be based on the movie Blade.
I see Blade as someone who helps people if Vampires have placed them in bad situations...the little girl in the street, the guy at Bloodbath..ect ect ect...However Blade's motivation in hunting vampires is becuase of what they did to him and his mother. He doesnt do it for the good of mankind. He doesnt do it to help people. He does it for revenge. So again I ask you why would Blade go after supervillains????? How does that bring him to his goal of wiping out Vampires??????

I already gave an example. If a Supervillain is using vampires, Blade would indeed go after that supervillain.

If Blade were eating dinner at a restaurant, and he saw a woman in an alley being raped across the street...you appear to be under the impression that Blade wouldn't lift a finger. I disagree. I think he would be inclined to help the woman.

Just a difference of opinion on Blades moral fiber. Yes, his #1 priority is slaying vampires out of vengeance for the death of his mother. Yes.

He is still a "hero" in my book.

Per the new writer for the series....

The goal here is to be true to Blade's identity and background as a vampire hunter while at the same time integrating him into the Marvel Universe proper a bit more firmly than he has been in the past. That's why the first issue includes appearances by Spider-Man and S.H.I.E.L.D. and the second issue involves a trip to Latveria.

So, even though he won't actively pursue super villains, his exploits will force him to encounter them, and I'm assuming fighting against them rather than for them.

XBRoughneck said:
I already gave an example. If a Supervillain is using vampires, Blade would indeed go after that supervillain.

If Blade were eating dinner at a restaurant, and he saw a woman in an alley being raped across the street...you appear to be under the impression that Blade wouldn't lift a finger. I disagree. I think he would be inclined to help the woman.
why would he help this woman being raped???? The same character who robs from his victims to fund his cause.

Just a difference of opinion on Blades moral fiber. Yes, his #1 priority is slaying vampires out of vengeance for the death of his mother. Yes.

He is still a "hero" in my book.

Per the new writer for the series....

So, even though he won't actively pursue super villains, his exploits will force him to encounter them, and I'm assuming fighting against them rather than for them.

I just dont see it working. To take a character out of his element is a mistake.

Aren't those ''victims'' he robs trying to help vampires gain dominance????I think Blade would help a woman being raped. He's a good guy at heart (he went to save the little girl when he could have chased Deacon Frost remember?)

Horrorfan said:
Aren't those ''victims'' he robs trying to help vampires gain dominance????I think Blade would help a woman being raped. He's a good guy at heart (he went to save the little girl when he could have chased Deacon Frost remember?)

who was placed their by Deacon Frost. I see him helping people if vampires have screwed them up. Think about what Whistler told Blade when he brought the woman back to his base. He pretty much told Blade he should have left her for dead or put her out of her misery. Blade only saved her because she reminded her of his mother...not out of the goodness of his heart.

Personally I disagree that it's all done out of pure revenge. I know that's his driving motive, but I think there's more to it than that. I see him as a good guy.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really want to see him move out from the supernatural world either, but I do think he is at least a little chivalrous.

What about him facing the zombiefied fantastic four? That would be kinda neat imo...

Blade vs Marvel Zombies? I'd buy it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"