New Superhero Powers

C

crappyatticus

Hey everyone I'm completely new here! (Maybe I shouldn't mention that) Anyways, since finishing a short book and publishing it through LuLu.com I've been working on the idea for my next story.

I've always wanted to do a superhero story with a completely original superhero (well new character, known powers). I've always been a fanboy of Spiderman though if I were to create one, I would want one more like Superman.

I want my character to be strong and able to fly but can be cut or shot and whatnot (strong and fly; no laser eyes, frozen breath, etc...). My superhero nemesis is a basic evil character without powers (like Lex Luther) though he contracts enemies with unnatural powers or ideas to do his dirty work.

Finally to the point, obviously this is way too close to Superman and if I wrote it this way everyone would basically respond, 'So it's like Superman right?' If anyone has any suggestions for superhero talents or something I'd really appreciate it.

I am sorry this is off topic man but I have a question... what is this site you published your novel with? Does it really work? It seems kind of too easy and hokey... idk.

I thought so too but it actually works. It's a nice solution especially for people who want to have something created and not deal with getting a real publisher or comic publisher or whatever it is you create.

The only bit is that it's a bit expensive because copies are only created when they are ordered and not made and kept in a warehouse somewhere. Also, books I know, there's like a $30 charge if you want the ISBN barcode on the back. This barcode allows for selling in stores; also they include a full year of including the book or whatever on Amazon.com (included in the $30). For mine I didn't do this because my story was only about 130 pages.

Other than that it's nice. You can create your own covers and whatnot or pick one from a template. You can also specify royalty amounts on items sold and get royalty payments back (though this tacks on more money to the price of your item).

Without royalties mine came to $7.21 for a 130 page (including covers) story.

http://www.lulu.com/content/285563

There's the item if you want to see all the details. Finally sign-up is free. sorry to gush but it is really a nice service to underground writers.

No problem.

As for the superhero powers I was thinking maybe something like this; flight and air-type shockwave (like Shocker from spiderman but more of an air blast than an electric based created from a wrist item). Thoughts?

Its hard to say really. Really it is up to you and I wuld say that such details are less important then the story and the charcters themselves. Just go with your gut, if flight and shockwaves seem good then go with it. Sounds okay though.

spdrknight said:
Its hard to say really. Really it is up to you and I wuld say that such details are less important then the story and the charcters themselves. Just go with your gut, if flight and shockwaves seem good then go with it. Sounds okay though.

I agree, though I understand that you don't want your character to look like Superman.

If you want my opinion, I say lose the super strength. No matter how the character gains his strength, the affect still looks the same and reads the same. The shockwave thing sounds usable though. You could say he really only has one power...the shockwave thing...and uses it in many ways. It could explain his flight. It could also be used as a long range attack, or used when punching, it could explain why the character can punch a hole through a wall. It could be defensive...like use it to repeal oncoming attacks. It would give the character that "superman"-like multi-powered tough hero while giving some originality to him too. (maybe his power could just have something to do with wind or jetstreams).
A single power used many ways keeps things simple...you don't have to explain every different power each time he does something different...the reader knows that which power its, because he only has one.

...what would be more interesting to me would be if the hero was like Lex (i.e. no powers) and the villain was the god-like superbeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"