NG EVANGELION live action ?

Timstuff said:
For some reason the idea of Erica Durance playing Misato tickles me in a good way, but that's if they're planning to westernize some of the characters.

smallville_erica_durance_273x400.jpg

If they went the American route for her, what about Angelina Jolie? She has the hot, slight mix of ****ish and creepy down PAT...

Timstuff said:
CAT is a very dated song also though. If it's the first thing people hear when they sit down in the theater, they're going to say "When was this movie made? 1986?" It just plain wouldn't work that well IMO.

Rah bah bah. So modern it up a little bit. Do what Square Enix did for One Winged Angel.

Also, there are plenty of good Asian actors. However, most of them can't speak english without a very thick accent, and that would seriousely annoy a lot of people. And selection of actors who speak perfect english AND look and act the parts is even smaller. Basically, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. For practical reasons alone, it's inevitable that at least some of the characters will be white or part white. And also you've got to consider that they're not going to make a 150 million dollar blockbuster epic with an all-asian cast. America is a melting pot, and to appeal to that melting pot they're going to need at least a multi-ethnic cast with a lot more white people. The only white person in the entire series was Asuka, and everyone else was Japanese. A summer blockbuster with an all-asian cast, wether you think it's fair or not, would not be a sucsess at the BO.

There are many that can speak English. The problem is that Hollywood won't cast them.

MaskedManJRK said:
If they went the American route for her, what about Angelina Jolie? She has the hot, slight mix of ****ish and creepy down PAT...

But Misato isn't supposed to come off as ****ish or creepy (outwardly, at least)... She's supposed to be fun, charming, smart, and caring. Also, Angelina Jolie is already the "fan favorite" casting choice for pretty much every female role in existance, so I cannot stand the idea of her playing Misato.

TheVileOne said:
Rah bah bah. So modern it up a little bit. Do what Square Enix did for One Winged Angel.

Those are two completely different musical styles. Simply "sprucing it up" wouldn't be enough to hide the fact that it's a very dated song. They'd have to re-write it to the point where it barely resembles the original at all.

TheVileOne said:
There are many that can speak English. The problem is that Hollywood won't cast them.

Being asian doesn't automatically make them a good fit for the role, either. Shinji is going to be particularly hard to cast if they want an asian actor, because not only does he need to be a good looking wide-eyed boy who can portray Shinji's angst without comign off as a whiney b!tch, but he also has to be able to speak perfect english. Finding quality Asian actors who can speak english without an accent and fit the roles correctly is like looking for a needle in a haystack, as I said before. "Westernizing" some of the characters by casting their anglo-saxon equivelents would result in a lot less headaches.

Timstuff said:
Those are two completely different musical styles. Simply "sprucing it up" wouldn't be enough to hide the fact that it's a very dated song. They'd have to re-write it to the point where it barely resembles the original at all.

They update classic themes all the time. Michael Buble and the Ramones updated the Spider-man theme song and did some fantastic **** with it.

All I'm hearing from you are excuses. At least I'm coming up with solutions.

Being asian doesn't automatically make them a good fit for the role, either. Shinji is going to be particularly hard to cast if they want an asian actor, because not only does he need to be a good looking wide-eyed boy who can portray Shinji's angst without comign off as a whiney b!tch, but he also has to be able to speak perfect english. Finding quality Asian actors who can speak english without an accent and fit the roles correctly is like looking for a needle in a haystack, as I said before. "Westernizing" some of the characters by casting their anglo-saxon equivelents would result in a lot less headaches.

Well they found an Asian chick with a Scottish accent to play Cho Chang in Harry Potter. In other words, these actors exist. You just have to look for them.

The kids should be young, unknown teenaged actors anyway.

Once again, just because Hollywood is racist and doesn't like to cast Asian actors in lead roles doesn't mean they don't exist.

Take after James Bond.

An opening scene, then the opening credits with Cruel Angel Thesis. Perfect solution except for those that want it to open different.

Timstuff said:
Yeah, having Fox produce it at the mercy of Tom Rothman would be the kiss of death If they find a good looking teenage asian/asian-american boy who speaks perfect english and happens to be a very gifted with acting, then great! But if they can't, then they can always fall back on the option of making Shinji be part-Japanese, which IMO would not be a bad option. They'd just have to have one of his parents being asian, and people would have no trouble buying that hes a white or mostly white person with a Japanese name. Whoever it is they choose, as long as he can act the part and has a good screen presence for the role, I don't really care wether he's asian, caucasian, or something in between.

Amen with on FOX doing it. They would destroy it. An american studio will change the races of the Asian kids to white and thus embark on their so called moving making mission to adapt the film will end up ruining it, especially Fox.

A good looking Asian American boy who can speak english and can act? Um that sounds bad man and sterotypical. I'm 100 percent confident that one can be found easily. An unknown he will be. If you've seen Akeelah and The Bee their's an Asian kid in there who's around 15 with clear english and good acting skills and in a non predator judgement he wasn't bad looking.

By this logic we can just as well assume that Gainax is racist since all of the characters in Evangelion are Japanese except for one. My point is that it doesn't really matter as long as the actors can do the parts well. If they can find a perfect match for Shinji who's asian, then great! If they can't, but there's a white kid who could play the part well, then I don't see why they wouldn't use him. It all comes down to who's the best actors for the parts, and personally I don't think that race should be an issue.

And I know for a fact that at least SOME of the characters will end up being white in the movie, because they're not going to make a 150 million dollar blockbuster with an completely asian cast.

Addendum said:
Take after James Bond.

An opening scene, then the opening credits with Cruel Angel Thesis. Perfect solution except for those that want it to open different.

There you go. Perfect solution.

Timstuff said:
By this logic we can just as well assume that Gainax is racist since all of the characters in Evangelion are Japanese except for one. My point is that it doesn't really matter as long as the actors can do the parts well. If they can find a perfect match for Shinji who's asian, then great! If they can't, but there's a white kid who could play the part well, then I don't see why they wouldn't use him. It all comes down to who's the best actors for the parts, and personally I don't think that race should be an issue.

Blame Anno who originally did the manga. It was manga before anime. Gainax didn't come up with the story.

Also, its a Japanese anime that takes place in Japan. So the main cast is Japanese. There's nothing racist about it.

And you don't cast a white kid as Shinji Ikari, that's f'n ridiculous. It's like casting a white kid as young Martin Luther King Jr.

It's like in TO KILL A MOCKINBIRD, casting a white guy as Tom Robinson.

And I know for a fact that at least SOME of the characters will end up being white in the movie, because they're not going to make a 150 million dollar blockbuster with an completely asian cast.

Then they are going to have to change the names and origins of the characters, its that simple.

Timstuff said:
But Misato isn't supposed to come off as ****ish or creepy (outwardly, at least)... She's supposed to be fun, charming, smart, and caring. Also, Angelina Jolie is already the "fan favorite" casting choice for pretty much every female role in existance, so I cannot stand the idea of her playing Misato.

I dunno, remember in the End
where she practically shoved her tongue down Shinji's mouth and promised him more if they both survived the attack on the base.
I don't know about you, but that's kinda creepy to me. :o

lol he said misato looks like a french chick... they all look the same just with different hair...

it sounds stupid cause theyd have to explain to everyone watching the movie why the white chick has a japanese name

damnit this evangelion movie is making me hate white people... just because whites are supposed to be the majority doesnt mean every main character in every movie has to be white... id like to see a big movie come out in america where there are no white people lol
i know the eva movie isnt going to be ALL white... but still i dont think there should be anyone white except asuka whose supposed to be... and maybe Ritsuko... whose blonde and looks white
and i dont even think most japanese will care that america is going to changed evangelion completely... which makes me even more angry... hulk smash

MaskedManJRK said:
where she practically shoved her tongue down Shinji's mouth and promised him more if they both survived the attack on the base.

Within the context of the story it made sense, but that was hardly a moment to justify casting Angelina Jolie. It was fairly shocking when it happened, and if they cast Angelina Jolie it would be like "So what? I expected that to happen when she first walked on screen." Jolie is completely wrong for the part and the only someone would suggest her is because she's the fan favorite for every female action role, even though she shouldn't be.

jmao said:
it sounds stupid cause theyd have to explain to everyone watching the movie why the white chick has a japanese name

In Firefly they didn't need to explain why everyone uses Chinese swear words even though none of the characters are Asian (except for a few random extras). Don't get me wrong, I think there needs to be a lot of Asians in Evangelion. But if they want to cast white people as Gendo, Misato, Ritsuko, or whoever, I don't think they should be afraid to.

MaskedManJRK said:

That was just Misato being Misato. I think she was pretty sure that she wasn't going to survive. It was an empty promise. It was more like Misato expressing her affection and love for Shinji in her way.

Yup, you hit the ol' nail on the head. Misato knew she was most likely a goner, and she wanted to give Shinji all the strength she could. That doesn't necessarily make Misato a creep, it just shows how much she cared for Shinji.

Last night me and my brothers did some thinking and came up with our dream cast for the main adults of the movie, if they're going to be using white actors (which they probably will be for a lot of characters).

Misato Katsuragi - Rachel McAdams

.%2F2005%2F09%20September%2F14%2Fpictures%2F06A%20(rachel%20mcadams).jpg

Gendo Ikari - Alfred Molina

news-spidey2header-6.jpg

Ryohji Kaji - Jared Leto

99889700_1122394445.gif

Kouzou Fuyutski - Liam Neeson

981_a_normal.jpg

Ritsuko Aikagi - Famke Janssen

famke-janssen.jpg

Well, at long last, there's some GOOD news involving the Evangelion movie... Apparently, they've finally gotten a director signed on, and are ready to move!

Vir said:
Eva live action director and financing in place?
According to one of our forum members, zandor117, who was present at the ADV panel at Anime Weekend Atlanta, ADV's David Williams said that the Evangelion live action movie is now moving into production. We have seen no other report, even though the same panel was used to announce several anime licenses that have been reported by reputable anime news sources.

According to zandor117, this is what was said:

Questioner: "Is there anything new about the EVA movie?"

David Williams: "The EVA movie is now in Production"

Questioner: "Can you tell us the director?"

David Williams: "I am not allowed to say that yet."

ADV has not yet commented further.

While this does not seem like full production (i.e. filming actors) or even fully fledged pre-production like set building, the main concrete news seems to be that a director has signed on, moving the project beyond the proposal and development phase. Previously, negotiations were under way with a shortlist of directors who had expressed an interest, but the decision had not been made yet.

http://eva.trivialbeing.net/

I wonder who the director could be... I'm hoping it's Joss Whedon, but I'm sure there are other qualified candidates out there who could have signed on. Hopefully we'll finally see some real movement on this project after 4 years of preproduction hell!

I still don't like any of these casting choices.

As for the production. I'll believe it when I see it.

NO! NOT jolie, jeez shes is litterally mentioned for EVERY damn female role out there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"