• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Comics Not your typical "favorite comics" thread...

DocLathropBrown

The Man with the Hat is Back
Reaction score
I'm asking you guys what your favorite Spider-Man comics are. But--! There's a twist! I don't want to know favorite issues.... I want to know what your favorite era of Spidey comics is.... and then your favorite spidey series (ASM, PP: SSM, etc...) and your favorite run (ie; Ditko/Lee, Lee/Romita Sr., etc...), also.... your favorite one-panel joke/gag.

And finally, you have to tell me why!

Obviously, I'll go first.

My favorite era: The 80's. The art was still very traditional rather than out-there like McFarlane's art was. The writing was new, current but it still had that fun incomplexity that Stan's material had. It was the last era for it, too. Lots of great stuff showed up. The Secret Wars, The Hobgoblin. The Black Cat really shone in the 80s.... Venom to bookend the era... my favorite part, though? The symbiote. Such an incredible couple of years. It was only a subplot, really. But building up to something big (which eventually was Venom) was nice. Even after the Symbiote split from him, we were watching its further explots to get back to Peter. And then when it looked like it was gone, we still got the teasers.... something taking Peter by surprise repeatedly without triggering his Spider-Sense, which again turned out to be Venom. MJ really became well developed and Pete's girl troubles were instantly relateable to a more modern audience like myself. Pete was out of school and I think I relate to Peter best in the 80s comics, hence why it's my favorite era.

My favorite series? ASM. No contest. The other series were good, but ASM is where the meat of the action always was.

Favorite run? My fave run of all time is probably Lee/Romita Sr. The art was a little more evolved than Ditko's, and Stan's writing was sublime!

And lastly, my favorite one-panel gag probably is from Web of Spider-Man #1. As Spidey's flipping all over town trying to get the Symbiote off of him, and yelling at it that he won't give in, Spidey flips all the way through a building and out the other side. Right as he's struggling with the Symbiote and giving it a lecture, he slams right into a brick wall and inturrupts his rant with "Ouch." It cracks me up every time.

So think about it and get back to me. A different kind of thread, I hope.

Favorite era? Late 60s/Early 70s. Why? Well, I really think it was around that time that the comics started to lose the flat, rather childish storytelling styles of the early 60s, and really became a more multilayer, well-fleshed out universe. And as that, Spider-Man has never really been better, IMO. Peter, his supporting cast, his villains, all characterized perfectly, and put into really great - and intriguing, and shocking - events and plots and soforth. And, to add onto all of that, great art from guys like Romita, plus this '60s culture that's now become nostalgia...it's just great.

Favorite series? ASM. But that's pretty much solely because, honestly, I haven't read much of any other Spider-Man series...besides Ultimate. Currently, I like both FNSM and SSM better than ASM, though.

Favorite run? Lee/Romita. As I said, by the time Romita came on, Lee's writing had really started to mature, and Romita's was just fantastic; taking what Ditko did and evolving it into something new and something great.

I don't really have a favorite panel...

Favorite era: The 70's. The Lee/Ditko/Romita stuff is in a class all it's own, but the 70's, (particulary mid to late) was when i was at the height of my Spidey craze. That was a very memorable time for me, personally...

Favorite series: ASM (honorable mention; Untold Tales)...

Favorite run: Lee and Ditko is the run i go back to the most...

Favorite panel: "face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot!"... :heart:

Favourite era:

I have two. First the late 60's/early 70's because that’s when Lee/Romita/Conway really gelled together as creators and along w/ Spidey's world and characters developing a real sense of depth, many of the most memorable and exciting issues were penned. Spider-man was young and learning as he went along. My other fav era is the early eighties, circa 1983 before MJ came back in #243 and Spidey was a player w/ loads o chicks. In contrast to the aforementioned era, Spidey was now a confident all ass kicking power house, taking on and defeating new and powerful enemies. I liked how Peters life had moved on and he had evolved as a person since when he was 19'ish in the Lee/Romita era. Plus the Hobgoblin was genius.

Favourite series:

ASM overall obviously because that’s where most of the important/ definitive things happened.
These days? Il take Sensational please.

Favourite run:

Either Lee/Romita, Stern/JR JR, DeMatties/Buscema (Spectacular), Michelinie/McFarlane or Jenkins/Ramos (Spec Vol2).
So yeah, that’s not too decisive heh.

Favourite panel:

Il get back to you on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back