Rank Misc. Comic Films

pr0xyt0xin

Shaper Savant
Reaction score
We've ranked Marvel films, and DC films... Now it's time to rank some miscellaneous comic films. This includes films based off of Dark Horse, Image, IDW, Mirage, and basically any other than Marvel/DC.

(And personally I count MIB as Misc. because the story was invented outside of Marvel, and isn't generally considered a part of the MU.)

Great (will watch again and again) 8 - 10
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - 10
Sin City - 9
300 - 9
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 8
Dredd - 8

Average (worth seeing once) 5 - 7
Hellboy II: The Golden Army - 7
Hellboy - 7
The Mask - 6
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Secret of the Ooze - 6
MIB - 6
MIIB - 5
MIIIB - 5
30 Days of Night - 5

Bad (regret watching/never finished) 1 - 4
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III - 4

I still need to watch:
Judge Dredd
Spawn
Oblivion
Sin City 2
300 sequel
Ninja Turtles

Last edited:
awh. you disagree with my opinion? :/ whatever will I do with myself.

Great: The Crow, TMNT (1990)
Good: Dredd, Tank Girl, Sin City, Judge Dredd, Watchmen, Wonder Woman (animated), X-Men, X-Men 2
Average: 300, Alien Vs Predator, 30 Days of Night, From Hell, Ghost World, Hellboy, Hellboy 2, A History of Violence, Kick-Ass, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Men in Black, Punisher (2004), The Rocketeer, V for Vendetta
Bad: Ghost Rider, Spawn, Scott Pilgrim, X-Men Origins: Wolverine

:o

Hellboy a 6? Smh.

actually, I will update it to a 7. while I think HBII was a notch better, I think both had a lot of room for improvement an neither is much more than average.

In other words, they both had many, many smh moments.

1) Ghost World
2) American Splendor (Pekar published some of the series himself, I think. Anyway, it's too good to leave off the list, even if one must fudge a little.)
3) Oldboy
4) Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
5) Akira
6) Ghost in the Shell I, II, and Solid State Society
7) Disappearance of Haruhi Suzimiya
8) V for Vendetta (started in Quality, then completed in DC/Vertigo :shrug: )
9) Ichi the Killer
10) Dredd

Last edited:
wow thats a lot of movies I need to watch.

Top ten:

1.) The Crow
2.) Hellboy II: The Golden Army
3.) Hellboy
4.) V For Vendetta
5.) Dredd
6.) 300
7.) Sin City
8.) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
9.) The Mask
10.) The Rocketeer

1) Ghost World
2) American Splendor
3) A History of Violence
4) Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
5) Akira
6) Ghost in the Shell I, II, and Solid State Society
7) Disappearance of Haruhi Suzimiya
8) V for Vendetta
9) Watchmen
10) Dredd

These are DC owned/affiliated.

1. The Rocketeer 8.5/10
2. The Mask 7/10
3. Sin City 7/10
4. MIB 7/10
5. The Shadow 6/10

That's about it for the ones I'd say are on the whole more good than bad. The rest are all 5.5/10's and lower which as far as I'm concerned are more or less bad movies. And of course there's many I just have never seen and probably never will because they have nothing to draw me in.

Not including animated adaptations, and sticking to North American comics, in order of best to worst:

Great
The Crow
Dredd
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Scott Pilgrim

Good
Hellboy II
Men In Black
The Mask
Hellboy
Sin City
Judge Dredd
Ghost World
The Shadow
Dick Tracy

Alright/Forgetable
Men In Black III
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Secret of the ooze
Tank Girl
The Rocketeer
Spawn

Bad
TMNT
The League Of Extraordinary Gentleman
Men In Black II
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III

Last edited:
I'm not sure I should have listed MIB since that was Marvel affiliated. Same thing goes for Kick-Ass.

Men in Black is Marvel? I didn't know that.
Seems pretty separate at least.

Men in Black is Marvel? I didn't know that.
Seems pretty separate at least.

It originally was from a separate smaller publisher but by the time the movie came out Marvel was the one making MIB comics.

I think it means other divisions as well. Eg. a Vertigo film is a DC film.

Right. Well there are obviously a few that could be argued one way or another. Judge Dredd had a DC run I believe, and yeah, MIB is owned by Marvel now. So its just up to you.

Wow lots of love for the first TMNT movie! As a kid I remember watching the second one on a taped VHS many times. But even then I knew it was pretty cheesy. I love the TMNT universe though so could someone explain to me what's so good/what holds up about TMNT the movie? Is it worth re-watching?

Seems I'm allowed to include non mainstream DC and Marvel films, oh well, here goes:

Favorites/Love Them:
1) Men In Black
2) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
3) The Mask
4) Judge Dredd
5) The Shadow
6) The Phantom (the one starring Billy Zane)
7) Dredd
8) The Phantom (FX mini series)

I like those:
1) Men in Black 3
2) Josie and the Pussycats
3) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Secret of the Ooze
4) The Crow
5) Watchmen

Alright/One view is enough:
1) Men in Black 2
2) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3

Repulsive:
1) Spawn
2) Son of Mask

Did not see most of the rest

Wow lots of love for the first TMNT movie! As a kid I remember watching the second one on a taped VHS many times. But even then I knew it was pretty cheesy. I love the TMNT universe though so could someone explain to me what's so good/what holds up about TMNT the movie? Is it worth re-watching?

The first movie has awesome nostalgia quality. It's music is perfect- it doesn't have the cartoon theme, but the movie theme is just as rad.
It has a somewhat dark tone, with a dark wet shadowy urban landscape. It's a strange mix of tones that I find really interesting. There's something very mature about the whole thing, yet it's also very light hearted. It also feels quite close to the early mirage comics- with the origin of the turtles, splinters kidnapping, and the rivalry with the Shredder. It's like if the comics got a little toned down, but not the the point of the 80's cartoon. the humor is cheesy, but works if you're into it.
And the first sequel only has merit for nostalgia value. It's a lot closer to the cartoon in tone and style, and can be enjoyed for that.
Originally it was gonna have Bebop, Rocksteady, and an Utrom, which would have made it perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"