• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Rod Serling Biopic in the works

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/picture-if-you-will-a-movie-about-rod-serling/
Picture If You Will, A Movie About Rod Serling
By MIKE FLEMING

EXCLUSIVE: Andrew Meieran and his Bureau of Moving Pictures has acquired rights to make a movie about Rod Serling, the Twilight Zone creator who left behind a remarkable legacy of sci-fi and fantasy work. Stanley Weiser, who wrote Wall Street with Oliver Stone, will script the movie. Serling's widow Carol Serling will be a producer along with Meieran.

Before he became an iconic TV figure, Serling had a life of struggle that included a stint as a paratrooper and member of the demolition squad in the Army during WWII. Stationed in the Philippines, he saw more than his share of death as the US battled the Japanese, and his experiences would inform much of what he would write later. He worked his way into radio and then became a TV writer who found his niche with the CBS series Twilight Zone, a series that elevated scripted television with thought-provoking science fiction tales, each with a great and unexpected plot twist. The segments have influenced a legion of TV and feature writers to this day. If you don't understand the reference "It's a cook book!," you could do worse than go back and watch the original episodes.

Serling hatched another memorable TV anthology series a decade later in Night Gallery. Movies were made from both series, there's a lively Tower Of Terror theme-park ride that incorporates Serling and a haunted hotel, and Serling also co-wrote with Michael Wilson the script for the 1968 sci-fi classic Planet of the Apes, based on the Pierre Boull novel. Serling died at 50, from complications stemming from chain-smoking cigarettes his entire adult life.

"Rod Serling was one of the true visionaries in television history," Meieran said. "He single-handedly broke the mold and established television as a powerful artistic medium capable of changing the world when used wisely." Meieran, who comes from a real estate investment background, (the Edison in downtown LA is his, and he's acquired Clifton's Cafeteria and is restoring it), has wrapped his directing debut. Highland Park stars Danny Glover, Parker Posey and Billy Burke in a drama about a group of lifelong friends whose jobs fall victim to budget cuts. The film's in post-production.

Honestly I'd be much more interested in this than I would be in another attempt at a Twilight Zone movie. :up:

Last edited:
Nothing, really?

****, I didn't see this yesterday.

I hope it's good, because I really love The Twilight Zone and feel like Serling was really a great talent, who was way ahead of his own time and a true master of the twist. I know it's the Zone fan in him talking, but I think it'd be perfect if they did as a very long and extended episode of The Twilight Zone.

I'd honestly be more interested in a new movie or TV show...with Jon Hamm or James Earle Jones doing the intros

The idea of a new TZ is a good one in theory, but eh, the 1980 revival effort just wasn't as inspired, and it didn't work as well. It wasn't bad, just really lacking. If they could recapture some of the spirit and feel of the original show, maybe it'd work, but it'd have to have that behind it.

But I don't really think that has to have any kind of real opposition to a biopic on Serling. There was a documentary I watched on him, and he was really an interesting fellow.

I agree Sawyer.

As cool as another Twilight Zone movie sounds, a biopic about Rod's life and how his experiences fueled his stories sounds more interesting to me.

Rod Serling is my writing insperation. I'd love to see a film about his life.

Not to hot on the idea of a new TZ movie but I hope the Serling Biopic is good. The Man was a genius genre writer.

The original Twilight Zone is a favorite of mine too and one of the best dramatic shows in tv history. Very influential. Even 45 years later I can watch it and still be fascinated.

I love this. Serling was an incredible presence and had this even more incredible voice. A true showman and writer.

But I have no idea who could play him.

I've got no idea either, but for some reason, I just really want to heard George Clooney do the Twilight Zone opening narration.

I love this. Serling was an incredible presence and had this even more incredible voice. A true showman and writer.

But I have no idea who could play him.

I've not really seen anything to equate this to, but James Franco seems like he has a similar and feel of Serling to me. I don't know if he come pull off the voice and persona as well, though.

The voice and persona is key though. I don't want to see an imitations of course, as that has been done and parodied many times, so whoever plays him will have a challenge with handling that.

I think it would be really cool if they'd shoot this film in black and white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"