Rumor of the month - Apple to buy Sony

Isildur´s Heir

Avenger
Reaction score
This rumor is so good it deserves it´s own thread

Today big gaming news comes from an unlikely source; weekly financial newspaper, Barron's. This week they speculate that Apple is in the market for a huge acquisition; naming Sony, Electronic Arts, and Disney as possible targets.

It is no secret that Apple are huge. What may come as a surprise is how large they really are. According to Barron's Apple has become the second largest company in the world; only eclipsed by ExxonMobile. Even more surprising, the technology giant is catching up to the big oil baron. Like all oversized companies, it is Apple's goal to continue their growth, and they have the money to do so. The tech giant has 51 billion dollars to invest in an acquisition. Which is enough to buy Sony or Disney.

It has been well known that Apple has been seeking ways to make inroads into the lucrative gaming market. With a market cap of 33 billion dollars, a strong brand, and high quality first party development teams, Sony seems like a smart and affordable acquisition. In addition, Sony comes with a huge manufacturing component that will help Apple bring manufacturing of their goods in-house. Other perks include a strong media distribution presence and licensing perks from Blu-ray discs. For Apple, these perks may just outweigh the headaches of Sony's persistent red ink and less profitable divisions.

Electronic Arts is also affordable, but only gives Apple a single benefit. Disney on the other hand may simply be too expensive, but does have business in video games and media distribution, and comes with a household name.

With 51 billion dollars to throw around, it would be interesting to see what strategy emerges from Cupertino, CA. We can be assured that it will be big and surprising, which is Steve Job's 'MO'.

This is as stupid as rumor as they get, Sony will never be bought by Apple; even more laughable is the idea of Apple buying Disney.
The only i can see having some ground in reality is EA, but i don´t see them being bought by a console manufacture.

But, if something in this terms happen, i imagine Microsoft, Apple´s old rival, getting in the buying business too, and that will not end good.

This would be slightly more believable if it was just "Apple buying Sony" or "Apple to buy EA games" ... I mean, it would be insanely hard to believe but still believable.. but Apple buying Sony, EA and friggin Disney? Riiiight.

This would be slightly more believable if it was just "Apple buying Sony" or "Apple to buy EA games" ... I mean, it would be insanely hard to believe but still believable.. but Apple buying Sony, EA and friggin Disney? Riiiight.
It doesn´t say that Apple is going to buy the 3 companies, what it say is that Apple is on the verge to make a huge acquisition.
BTW, Facebook is also on the rumor, i just found out.

The only two i can see happenig is either EA (which i don´t believe EA or even Apple will want to) and Facebook.
The last one, if it happens, and because Microsoft is their biggest rival, i see them buying Twitter :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"