• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

rumored gremlins sequel now a full on remake

They might use CGI instead of stop-motion for the more cinematic scenes, but I can see them going back to puppets/animatronics. Chris Columbus knows the fanbase.

If such a thing ever get's made I hope it does go darker. Spielberg himself fought to keep the film from... Well from becoming the dreck the sequel is. Guys... The first film is actually NOT a kids film in the least.

Once more... We really need to have a discussion as genre fans that

A. Just cuz **** was on cable a lot when we were kids doesn't mean it was good or worthy of nostalgia.

B. No one is due validation in any way of their particular nostalgic feelings.

Gremlins 2 is dreck. It's a crap sequel to an amazingly well done 80's film.

On the above subject, gotta say...i like Gremlins 2. It's an amusing parody film. As a sequel, maybe lackluster. But still fun for what it is.

When HBO Max launched, I watched Gremlins 2 for the first time since I was a kid. There really is no other movie like it, which makes it so entertaining IMO. I can't think of any other sequel that was a straight up parody of the first film. Plus, it gave us this amazing Key and Peele sketch:

With the huge popularity of Baby Yoda, hopefully they see that puppets can still make a big impact on people.

I'm of two minds:

- The purist in me says puppets-full-stop, but willing to concede to CGI used sparingly like in wide group shots.

- The budget-conscious in me says something like this proves you can pull it off with CGI, but would prefer they still mimic the puppetry of it all (shoot from the waist up, jilted movements, etc) instead of showing off it's freestanding CGI.

I'm of two minds:

- The purist in me says puppets-full-stop, but willing to concede to CGI used sparingly like in wide group shots.

- The budget-conscious in me says something like this proves you can pull it off with CGI, but would prefer they still mimic the puppetry of it all (shoot from the waist up, jilted movements, etc) instead of showing off it's freestanding CGI.

I believe that's what they do with Baby Yoda on certain shots but it's rarely done and when it is it looks seamless. Puppetry with minimal CGI for scenes where practical effects are impossible seems to be the right move for this. At least that CGI Gremlin test looks better than this stop motion scene from the original film, which is understandable given it was almost 40 years ago and it was also the only non-puppetry gremlin shot in the movie if I recall correctly.

tumblr_nyddxvjiq81tdkro1o5_r1_400.gif

I'm of two minds:

HAH I love it.

My 4 year old happened to be walking by and wanted to know what it is, so she is all in ;)

If I was a kid, I’d love this. Gizmo seems off though.

Hopefully it gets the ball rolling on a Gremlins 3.

Gizmo does not know kung fu. Look how he could barely defend himself in the original films and it took a lot for him to stand up to the gremlins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"