Strange New Worlds Season 2, Episode 2 "Ad Astra Per Aspera"

Dr.

From parts unknown
Reaction score
Scheduled streaming date: June 22, 2023

Synopsis:

Commander Una Chin-Riley faces court-martial along with possible imprisonment and dishonorable dismissal from Starfleet, and her defense is in the hands of a lawyer who’s also a childhood friend with whom she had a terrible falling out.

SNW_202_MG_0301_0571_RT-1-1536x1025.jpg

Last edited:
That was a really good episode, even if a slight retread on "Dr Bashir, I Presume".

Love the dress uniforms, and the badges they had were so TOS that I just loved them.

Even if it did feel like it was trying a little too hard to preach through the screen at times, still, a very powerful episode. And lets face it, sadly very, very timely when you look at the US and the nature of various trans related laws being passed. And I'm sure twitter is exploding with "woke Trek". Good, be mad.

Not quite as much Pike as I expected. Still, the opening with him getting Una's lawyer was great. Plus, always fun to see Wynonna on the show again.

Really would have enjoyed seeing the the interaction between Spock and the other Vulcan. Though Ortega's running commentary was funny. I was certain Spock was going to drop a "good hearing" comment when he came over to M'benga and Ortega.

That was a really good episode, even if a slight retread on "Dr Bashir, I Presume".

Love the dress uniforms, and the badges they had were so TOS that I just loved them.

Even if it did feel like it was trying a little too hard to preach through the screen at times, still, a very powerful episode. And lets face it, sadly very, very timely when you look at the US and the nature of various trans related laws being passed. And I'm sure twitter is exploding with "woke Trek". Good, be mad.

Not quite as much Pike as I expected. Still, the opening with him getting Una's lawyer was great. Plus, always fun to see Wynonna on the show again.

Really would have enjoyed seeing the the interaction between Spock and the other Vulcan. Though Ortega's running commentary was funny. I was certain Spock was going to drop a "good hearing" comment when he came over to M'benga and Ortega.
I loved the dress uniforms as well. While there was some overlap with "Dr Bashir, I Presume", I thought the episode had much more in common with "The Measure of a Man". Although the asylum from persecution angle was really great and added a new element to this type of Trek story. I also really loved the approach they took to Starfleet as not being perfect, but an organization striving to be better.

While Illyrians and the Federation's prohibition against genetic engineering was a believable vessel for examining prejudice and discrimination in the context of the Federation utopia, I think they have painted themselves into a corner by using an issue that has already been covered by the TNG era shows and for which they are stuck not being able to really change that injustice. If that injustice and prejudice was resolved following this incident or as a result of a chain of events started by it, Dr Bashir I Presume would never happen.

"I regret that you had to witness that outburst." :funny: I love this Spock.

And I really liked this episode. I have not seen "Dr. Bashir, I Presume," but I have been watching TNG for the first time lately, about to finish up S2, so "Measure of a Man" is pretty fresh in my mind, and this did certainly remind me of that. Though I actually preferred this, because one aspect of the former I didn't love, was how relatively black-and-white the issue was there, with the antagonist, that is, the guy treating Data as property, portrayed like a bit of a cartoon villain. Here it felt like there was more nuance in the issue, and the opposing side didn't all seem so obviously bigoted, which made it more effective imo. Plus I really liked that "seeking asylum" resolution. That was really nice.

Well done, Show. Now give me more Pike, please.

I loved the dress uniforms as well. While there was some overlap with "Dr Bashir, I Presume", I thought the episode had much more in common with "The Measure of a Man". Although the asylum from persecution angle was really great and added a new element to this type of Trek story. I also really loved the approach they took to Starfleet as not being perfect, but an organization striving to be better.

While Illyrians and the Federation's prohibition against genetic engineering was a believable vessel for examining prejudice and discrimination in the context of the Federation utopia, I think they have painted themselves into a corner by using an issue that has already been covered by the TNG era shows and for which they are stuck not being able to really change that injustice. If that injustice and prejudice was resolved following this incident or as a result of a chain of events started by it, Dr Bashir I Presume would never happen.

Not necessarily. Look what's happening in the world today.

This was some PEAK Trek for me. Thought the opening ep of the season, while fine, was a bit of weak ep in and unto itself, and just an odd choice for an opener considering the cliffhanger of the last season and the absence of Pike... But THIS? It had the heart, it had the smarts, it had just the right kind of humour, and was as visually pleasing as always.

Yes, it reminded me of Measure of a Man of course, but it stacks up very well against it in quality while also hitting the themes from a new, modern angle.

A+, goddammit.

"I regret that you had to witness that outburst." :funny: I love this Spock.

And I really liked this episode. I have not seen "Dr. Bashir, I Presume," but I have been watching TNG for the first time lately, about to finish up S2, so "Measure of a Man" is pretty fresh in my mind, and this did certainly remind me of that. Though I actually preferred this, because one aspect of the former I didn't love, was how relatively black-and-white the issue was there, with the antagonist, that is, the guy treating Data as property, portrayed like a bit of a cartoon villain. Here it felt like there was more nuance in the issue, and the opposing side didn't all seem so obviously bigoted, which made it more effective imo. Plus I really liked that "seeking asylum" resolution. That was really nice.

Well done, Show. Now give me more Pike, please.
I get that about The Measure of Man, but I would say that while it seems black and white to us about a sentient person not being property, it was a potent reminder that it wasn't to people only two hundred years ago and for thousands of years previously.

While I liked how they tried to make things more ambiguous here, I feel like they didn't quite succeed, especially in comparison to "Dr. Bashir I Presume"'s examination of the issue. The reason why genetic engineering is prohibited in the Federation is because engineered individuals like Khan used their gifts to claim they were superior than others and therefore entitled to subjugate "lesser" human beings. The idea was preventing augmentation would keep everyone on a level playing field. The episode never discussed that and just cited the Eugenics Wars and the death they caused. I feel like they missed an opportunity to dive into that issue in greater depth given the uncanny parallels between that rationale and current arguments about transgender persons' participation in sport, etc.

Not necessarily. Look what's happening in the world today.
I was talking about within the rules of Star Trek where the Federation is portrayed as a utopia and a society that continues to improve and become a more just society over time. Of course, in real life, there can be and is sadly often regression.

The showrunners stated that Pike will barely be in the first three episodes of the 2nd season.

That is specifically I thought what happened without him calling Erica out when Mr. Spock apologized for their outburst.

I did like both Spock and the JAG Vulcans "smiles" as they appreciated the logic of the asylum claim made by the defense.

I get that about The Measure of Man, but I would say that while it seems black and white to us about a sentient person not being property, it was a potent reminder that it wasn't to people only two hundred years ago and for thousands of years previously.

While I liked how they tried to make things more ambiguous here, I feel like they didn't quite succeed, especially in comparison to "Dr. Bashir I Presume"'s examination of the issue. The reason why genetic engineering is prohibited in the Federation is because engineered individuals like Khan used their gifts to claim they were superior than others and therefore entitled to subjugate "lesser" human beings. The idea was preventing augmentation would keep everyone on a level playing field. The episode never discussed that and just cited the Eugenics Wars and the death they caused. I feel like they missed an opportunity to dive into that issue in greater depth given the uncanny parallels between that rationale and current arguments about transgender persons' participation in sport, etc.

I was talking about within the rules of Star Trek where the Federation is portrayed as a utopia and a society that continues to improve and become a more just society over time. Of course, in real life, there can be and is sadly often regression

I feel like we've seen this regression play out in past Star Trek shows.

Trial episodes are interesting in the vein of TOS' The Menagerie and Court Martial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"