Solo significantly better upon 2nd rewatch.

Corban Sargent

Civilian
Reaction score
I saw it in theater once. I was underwhelmed and was concerned about the future of new Star Wars movies. When it flopped and all future spin offs were canceled, I personally blamed the Solo movie for costing me my Obi-Wan movie. I mean just think of the glorious memes...

Anyway, upon rewatch I really noticed that Solo gives me the great “lived in galaxy” feeling that made the cantina scene so iconic in ANH. Chewbacca is also the best part of the movie. It still bothers me that we’ve not once heard about coaxium before, in movies or the tv shows...seems pretty important and TLJ could have easily thrown in a line “we only have so much coaxium!” when they were slowly running away.

I find it to be an oddly cozy movie. :)

I rewatched this recently, and yeah, I did like it better this time. I enjoyed the basic story and characters (especially Tobias Beckett who is easily now one of my favorite characters in the entire Star Wars universe). Much like Rogue One, this is a different type of Star Wars movie, this time with more of a western feel to it and I think they largely pulled it off. It still has some drawbacks. It looks pretty ugly for the most part, and not in a "weathered and worn out world" way. I also think it tries to do too much. There's almost too much action in Solo, and that's hard to pull off. It goes from set piece to set piece without having much time to breath until the final act where it has an oddly subdued conclusion. I started out really liking it, but by the time of the Kessel Run was starting to feel somewhat burned out. I also didn't care about jam packing so many key moments of what we know about Han (meeting and befriending Chewie, meeting Lando, the Kessel Run, winning the Falcon, etc.) in what feels like about a week in-universe.

But it is growing on me, and I do think its merits stand out more after a couple of rewatches.

The movie grows on me every time I watch it, really hope we can get more of the story on Disney + somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"