Sorry to ask you guys again...

Sharkfestation

Civilian
Reaction score
Before I start looking for the issues that were in my local comic book shop I wanted to check with you guys if these storylines that took place in the comics awhile back were any good? Here's the ones I asking you guys about if they are any good.

Black Canary: New Wings
The Black Canary series from the early 90's
War of the Gods
Underworld Unleashed
Invasion
The Great Darkness Saga

I heard about some of these, are they worth buying?

Invasion was awesome. Really one of the best and most underrated crossover events ever. In many ways better than the oft-cited standard Crisis on Infinite Earths. Great Darkness Saga is some of the best Legion storytelling ever.

Underworld Unleashed is good in a purely metatextual way: in the course of one miniseries, Mark Waid goes from a gung-ho joiner of the 90s revisionist "darkification" of heroes and villains alike to an all-out reconstructionist by the end, rejecting the grim'n'gritty movement championed by Marvel and Image and an increasing portion of DC in favor of a more heroic approach. On some levels, Underworld Unleashed reads like a thematic prelude to Kingdom Come. The story itself isn't super-wonderful-amazing, but it isn't as terrible as some critics have made it out to be. And the Joker, as usual, steals the show with a relatively small part.

War of the Gods was pretty good, but like so many Wonder Woman stories, ultimately inconsequential. You should pick it up eventually, but don't hurry.

Black Canary is, for me, a Green Arrow supporting cast member (to be fair, I also felt that way about Hal Jordan for a LONG time). I've read a lot of her stuff, but it never gripped me.

Thanks, I was asking about the Black Canary stuff because Black Canary is my favorite superhero along D.C's big three.

Another question, which other storylines with Darkseid do you suggest because he's my favorite comic book villain of all time.

Rock of Ages
and I guess Final Crisis

Yeah, Final Crisis looks to be a good Darkseid yarn. Also, if you like animation, the final two episodes of Justice League Unlimited were fantastic. Mostly, you just need to watch the last one, because it is like ten billion kinds of awesome.

Other good Darkseid stories: start buying up the Fourth World Omnibuses that DC's doing. That is how Darkseid is supposed to be.

Has Darkseid or the New Gods in general ever gone toe to toe with the Olympian Gods because I always wanted to see Darkseid go up against Ares.

JLA: Rock of Ages was definitely the best Darkseid story I've ever read.

Thanks, I was asking about the Black Canary stuff because Black Canary is my favorite superhero after D.C's big three.
Blasphemy! She should come before the Big Three! :cmad:

Those particular choices aren't the best, most intellectual reads, however if she's a favorite, read them just for the background. It's a bit amusing watching her run around in high heels, a big wig and large shoulder pads. :up:

It's also fun to see how she's grown as a character since then. :)

What would you recommend?
I wanted to read the early 90's Black Canary series because in those stories she's not in Green Arrow's shadow and I enjoyed the first two issues of that Black Canary series. I loved her in JLA: Year One because they actually wrote her as being a strong woman not being so depend on Green Arrow like Justice.
Sorry if I'm being to radcial.:csad:

Birds of Prey, :) All of them, starting from the beginning. <3

Pick up the early 90 one for kicks. :) they give you a good background in what she was coming from and going into in the beginning BoP books.

If you haven't read Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters, pick that one up as well. :)

Due it being somewhat connected to Underworld Unleashed, is The Trial of Superman any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"