Superman - Farewell to a friend (short story)

• Thread starter Kai "the spy"
  • Start date
K

Kai "the spy"

Hello folks,
back in the winter of 2004 I wrote this story, originally wanting to see it in comic book form, but since I'm not a professional (yet) I settled with prose. I originally wrote it in German, but now I did this English translation for the international readers. I hope you like it. Feedback's always welcome.
Disclaimer: Superman and all related characters are the property of DC Comics, Inc., and used in this non-profit fan fiction without official permission. No harm intended.

SUPERMAN
Farewell to a friend
by Kai Brauns
Superman created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster

They were all looking at him. Noone had expected that HE would show up.
“Can I help you”, the reverend asked.
Superman stepped forward and said: “Excuse me, I wondered if I may say a few words about the departed.”
The reverend hesitated, looked aroung into the faces of the mourning guests of the funeral service and, finally, nodded.
Superman slowly walked toward the podium, hesitated, then walked past the podium toward the coffin. He looked down with sad eyes, braced himself, turned around and stepped behind the podium. “Ladies and Gentlemen, I’d like to tell you how I met Chris, and what he meant to me.”

The Arctic Giant roared as Superman grabbed it by it’s tail. He pulled as hard as he could, but the reptile was so big that it barely slowed it. The monster turned and slammed it’s claw toward the Man of Tomorrow who could just dodge at the peak of time.
All around them in the streets of Metropolis there was panic. People ran screaming, away from the gigantic beast.
The “Arctic Giant”, as the newspapers called it, was found in arctic ice only a few months ago. Before, nobody would have thought the existence of such a huge dinosaur possible. Anatomically, it reminded of the Tyrannosaurus Rex, but it’s arms were considerably longer and it had sharp, bone-like fins grew from it’s spine along the neck down to the end of the tail. Aside from that, it was it’s incredible size that distinguished it from any other known dinosaur – that, and the fact it was revived the moment the ice melted around it.
The giant lizard swung it’s tail around. Superman lost his grip and was smashed into a near office building.

A Daily Planet helicopter was in the air about 160 feet away from the epic battle.
“Gosh, Miss Lane”, Jimmy Olsen said while moving his camera from Superman to the monster and back and shooting his pictures without a break. “This creature seems to give Superman a hard time.”
“Don’t worry, Jimmy”, Lois Lane calmed her young photographer friend. “Superman handled every combatant so far.”

The Arctic Giant did not wait for Superman to attack again, but walked further down the street, broadening it in the process. Soon he would reach the desperately running people.
Superman shook off the numbness and was immediately aware of the new situation. As fast as possible he flew after the monster. As soon as he had caught up with it the Man of Steel flew around the creature and rammed his fists with full power into it’s stomach. The beast screamed in agony and fell on it’s back.
Suddenly, Superman, with his super-hearing, heard the sound of rotors and the voice of Dr. Karen Faulkner, head of the Metropolis’ S.T.A.R. Labs, which were the leading scientific organisation researching supernatural phenomena: “Superman, this is Dr. Faulkner. We have a strategy against the monster. Keep a 100 feet distance to it.”
Superman did so and flew near the Daily Planet helicopter. He saw three Apache-Copters flying towards the Giant. It rose again roaring loudly, but was shot at with big capsules from the Apaches. On the scaly skin of the creature, the capsules broke open and liquid nitrogen covered the gigantic body. Soon, the Arctic Giant was completely frozen once again.
Superman landed near the frozen dinosaur. He did not mind the nearing people’s hail, but went toward the debris that were once an apartment building. With horrified eyes he saw a small hand lying under the debris. His X-ray vision confirmed his tragic assumption.

“Sally Maureen was only eight years old”, Superman told the funeral service’s guests. “Turned out her mother was at work that afternoon and told Sally not to go out alone. Her story is far from widely known, as the media wouldn’t mention her except for an article in the Daily Planet. Most people were just glad we got rid of the Arctic Giant.”
Shock went through the rows. Superman waited for a moment, before finally continuing: “The next few hours I was in orbit around earth. It’s a good place to think, having all the world in sight. I felt guilty for Sally. I wondered, if the creature would have taken the same way had I not fought it, had I not interfered. And while brooding, I noticed a man who had much to endure, but seemingly still was happy.”

Chris was in his motorized wheelchair on the porch, smilingly looking to the stars. Just when he turned around and wanted to get back into the house, he heard a booming but smooth and friendly voice: “Good evening!”
Chris turned his wheelchair around and saw Superman. His face did not manage to show the astonishment he felt. “Uh,… good evening, Superman. What a pleasant surprise. My name’s Chris.”
“Mine is Kal. Do you have a moment?”
“Sure, …Kal. What’s up?”
“I think I need someone to talk to, but I don’t quite know who I should turn to.”
“Well, if you want to talk, I can keep a secret. Come and sit, if you want.”
“Thank you, Chris”, Superman said, landing on the porch and took seat. Chris turned, so they were facing each other. Superman hesitated briefly, then began: “I guess, you heard about the giant dinosaur back in Metropolis.”
“The Arctic Giant? Sure, it was on every channel.”
Superman looked down, brooding. “I don’t suppose they were mentioning a little girl that was killed during the incident.”
Chris was evidently shocked. “No, I hadn’t heard of that.”
“She was alone in an apartment building that was crashed in the last moments of my fight against the Giant. And I keep wondering, if she would have died had I not interfered.” Superman looked up into Chris’s eyes. “Maybe the Giant would have left Metropolis earlier.”
“Maybe, but maybe it would have killed even more people.”
“But was it right to interfere? Shouldn’t I let the world go it’s way?”
“You can’t”, the man in the wheelchair said. “And that is a good thing. If we all would lie back and resign and take the things that are coming on us, the world would never change. Not for the better, at least.”
For a moment, there was silence. Then Chris continued: “I fell from a horse two years ago. I’ve been confined to this wheelchair. Back then, I wasn’t able to move pretty much any part of my body. Many of those who endure the same fate just lie back and take it, but I wanted to move again, to walk again. So I did a therapy. I met with biological and medical scientist, who were working on treatments against my kind of paralysis. I was raising donations so that paralyzed people sometime in the future could walk again. And today, I can move the little finger on my right hand again. It may not sound like much, but it’s a first step in the right direction. If I would have resigned because of my fate after the accident, I would have never the chance to move again. It’s a small step on the way towards walking, but I am moving.”
Superman nodded understanding. He looked quite eased. “Thank you, Chris.”
Chris smiled. Superman stood up and walked from the porch, turned to Chris again to wave to him goodbye. And then he rose from the ground, going higher into the night’s sky.

“Chris helped me handle the situation emotionally. He helped me very much. Today, we know he never got to rise from his wheelchair through his own strength. But we will remember him. Him, who fought his fate and never gave up.” Superman looked at the guests, who were visibly touched. He turned around and stepped to the coffin once more, laying his hand on the lid. “Farewell, friend, and may you walk through the heavens.”

The End.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"